Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

0.9 here in Ashford and it stinks outside! some reports that its a gas cloud coming from France (Simon Jones â€@BBCSimonJones

South Kent residents urged to keep doors and windows shut due to a gas cloud heading over from France after a leak from a factory)

Others its from the diesel tanker crash yesterday (KMFM)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

0.9 here in Ashford and it stinks outside! some reports that its a gas cloud coming from France (Simon Jones â€@BBCSimonJones

South Kent residents urged to keep doors and windows shut due to a gas cloud heading over from France after a leak from a factory)

I could smell it this morn thought it was my boiler so turned it off :-)

Posted

06z GFS says head North in our region if you want to see any snow:

prectypeuktopo.png

Rain coming into the East and South:

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Back again in the morning?

prectypeuktopo.png

I could smell it this morn thought it was my boiler so turned it off :-)

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/local-news/residents-wake-up-to-a-bad-smell-thanks-to-french-gas-leak-1-4706522

Posted

Thanks coast :-) could of brought some snow with it lol

Edited by Sara

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Do you know I"m sure we can smell this down here in Tunbridge Wells - the kids just stepped outside and said 'It stinks out here' - a very gassy smell.

Posted

Thanks coast :-) could of brought some snow with it lol

Some hope!! :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Right, results for 1st half of draw then. If you didnt post a final depth I'm afraid you forfeit the match, if I've missed your post, If you post the original, I'll look at it again.

Winners underlined in bold. F/F = Match forfeited. Half/Time depth in brackets. Depths in cms.

Right roll titles and cue music. Got to have apt video, for event. Sorry to those who dont like U2!

6.5 (0) Leigh-on-Sea (E) (PAUL SHERMAN) v. Wickford (E) (DANUK) 0 (DUST) F/F Didnt see Dans final depth anywhere?

I only averaged out at about 5.5cm. Done by a whole cm!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

06z GFS looking OK for some light snow for the SE later, perhaps 1-2cm precip total equivalent into the overnight, heavier stuff likely down the M4 over Wilts, Somerset, Glos, west Oxon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Oh well great weekend

At least I got to enjoy the snowfall this time

And not staring out of works window

Snow destined for the drains now I think

Drip drip going on already

And tonight doesn't look great

Lets just hope gp is right about feb

Posted

In a 'love snow/hate rain' scenario, is there any chance that blob to the south will change course and head more NE later this eve?

This is a genuine question as I've no idea whether the wind can suddenly change direction if it's clear from a forecast to go a certain way.

(I'm here all week folks, asking the stupid questions you're to sensible to ask) ;-)

didn't have time to answer you earlier but yes and no.... the blob on the radar won't change direction as such, however, if you zoom out of the radar- http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ you can see the precip rotating around the low pressure system which is centred around NW france at the moment. it is taking a slight NNE'erly track and moving towards us. so all those "blobs" around the low are actually coming our way gradually but the winds rotate anti-clockwise around a low so the big blob will probably miss our region, its whats behind it at the 'bottom end' of the low which will most likely hit our region as the whole system moves NNE. the uncertainty is how far north and east it gets as it pushes against the high pressure to our north east

heres roughly where it is now-

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Lets all hope for a last minute shift east on the 12z

Could happen

Look at sun

That did what it wanted

Posted

looking at the radar, today's blob is heading west - no?

The showers on the radar across the SW and Channel are drifting NW, but the mass of showers and longer spells of rain/sleet will spread further north across southern England later (turning to snow inland), as the associated low pressure over NW France drifts NE towards the English Channel.

Eastward extent of precip a little uncertain, wouldn't take the model predicts too literally, nowcasting best tool from now on IMO.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Looking at the French radar there does appear to be a band of precipitation extending to the outskirts of Paris and pivoting around the Brest peninsular that should make it's way across the channel into southern counties. If the LP doesn't move to far then looks like it could extend across Sussex into eastern kent and then up.

Posted

Looking at the French radar there does appear to be a band of precipitation extending to the outskirts of Paris and pivoting around the Brest peninsular that should make it's way across the channel into southern counties. If the LP doesn't move to far then looks like it could extend across Sussex into eastern kent and then up.

It might end up staying as rain though, fingers crossed it turns to snow further on it's journey!

is surrey due any snow today?? any if so how much?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=will-it-snow;sess=

Posted

9.5 (0.5) Bexleyheath (K) (SNOW RAVEN) v. Romford (E) (ROADRUNNER) (2) 10 (Breaking news, poss. recount B/Heath!)

Tsk! I demand a re-match. Same time next week? whistling.gif

Posted

precip now pepping up over the channel, we could see it arriving sooner than we expect. however, temps are rising rapidly and this will be very marginal even for my location. coasts will probably just get rain and if my temp and DP keeps rising at the same rate, it could be disappointing for some of us sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

If the met,Å‘ lattest live forecast has it correct then snow will fall from say reading,westward.with dreary overcast sky,s,for the rest of us.....

Posted

I hate it when theses cold events come to an end. What am I going to do now? No radar watching very quiet forum and no snow to hope for! Bring on a reload!