Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Have a funny feeling the breakdown will come rather quick...and perhaps without even a transitional event for our part....in rains the atlantic friday onwards.lets just see what MAY, show in ouput in coming days, perhaps some, signals for early feb???!!!

Posted

If the met,Å‘ lattest live forecast has it correct then snow will fall from say reading,westward.with dreary overcast sky,s,for the rest of us.....

Nope reading is too far west for a starting point i expect the eastern point as just a tad s~sw of central london those west sw of that point should see snow today.

Edited by london-snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Bit of blue sky and sun is out here, the smallest of thaws but still plenty of snow about.

I'm not building my hopes up for anymore snow, today/tonight especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Nope reading is too far west for a starting point i expect the eastern point as just a tad s~sw of central london those west sw of that point should see snow today.

well, i hope your correct However with more or less a direct easterly in our part and no real guts in the reasonably small lp just cant see much progression eastward ön this one....

Posted

Snow chances here or Eastwards look unfavourable, any snow to the West though being marginal, temps on up. Looking at it I see these parts and East to be on the edge which looks more readily sleet/rain. Thoughts?

Edited by rmc1987

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tsk! I demand a re-match. Same time next week? whistling.gif

But instead how much rainfall you can gather... doh.gif

Snow chances here or Eastwards look unfavourable, any snow to the West though being marginal, temps on up.

Yes, worth noting Ian Fergusson mentioned on twitter, that colder air will filter back in through the day, with any precipiation expected to turn to snow for western areas. Perhaps some on the border in this thread, Bracknell, Reading, Oxford could still get some snow tonight..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

didn't have time to answer you earlier but yes and no.... the blob on the radar won't change direction as such, however, if you zoom out of the radar- http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ you can see the precip rotating around the low pressure system which is centred around NW france at the moment. it is taking a slight NNE'erly track and moving towards us. so all those "blobs" around the low are actually coming our way gradually but the winds rotate anti-clockwise around a low so the big blob will probably miss our region, its whats behind it at the 'bottom end' of the low which will most likely hit our region as the whole system moves NNE. the uncertainty is how far north and east it gets as it pushes against the high pressure to our north east

heres roughly where it is now-

h850t850eu.png

Thank you for explaining it to me :-)

morning!

last night i saw some of the gents in here saying we could be in for a huge storm if certain things fell into place - is this still expected? have just looked at the radar and seen that swirling mass, looking forward to see how that pans out. its a miserable day in Kingston, i am also not a fan of the cold without snow! snow makes being cold bareable :)

Posted

morning!

its a miserable day in Kingston, i am also not a fan of the cold without snow! snow makes being cold bareable smile.png

Morning mm,

Keep thinking warm and sunny thoughts!

Posted

It might end up staying as rain though, fingers crossed it turns to snow further on it's journey!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=will-it-snow;sess=

I'm not a great fan of those as all they are forecasting is whether a single flake of snow will fall on a particular location in any given 24 hour period - can be a bit misleading unless you grasp that

Latest BBC forecast has eastward limit of the snow just to the west of London...

Do you mean to the west of central London or to the west of Greater London? Big difference !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Well, three to four freezing days in a row is not bad going for this cold spell - bearing in mind it hasn't been a North sea snow variety which usually give the best sustainable conditions. Today is much more forgettable with the snow now vanishing quite quickly and the upcoming weather front just looks like accelerating that processsad.png Better fortunes in the north of the region, which will be the last offerings of this particular cold spell. Pity we couldn't have had some crisp frosty weather instead to sustain the snowcover further for a few days at least - such as last Februarysmile.png

Posted

Well, three to four freezing days in a row is not bad going for this cold spell - bearing in mind it hasn't been a North sea snow variety which usually give the best sustainable conditions. Today is much more forgettable with the snow now vanishing quite quickly and the upcoming weather front just looks like accelerating that processsad.png Better fortunes in the north of the region, which will be the last offerings of this particular cold spell. Pity we couldn't have had some crisp frosty weather instead to sustain the snowcover further for a few days at least - such as last Februarysmile.png

Thats about the sum of it TR.

This cold spell would appear to be going out on a whimper.

We now have to turn our attentions to the FI charts for some hope of a reload in Feb.

Could take a while. All aboard the rollercoaster again!!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,storms

The radar is getting better....the precipitation is out to paris nearly...could get intresting for the southeast later today

post-2640-0-88285700-1358854132_thumb.jp