Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

It's clear to see where the potential for a snowy breakdown on Friday comes from, with the cold air getting squeezed to its maximum before the Atlantic starts to make inroads:

13012506_2306.gif

13012506_2306.gif

Critically, the winds ahead of the front are likely to be southerly, so the cold air entrenched at the surface won't get mixed out so easily:

13012506_2306.gif

Meanwhile, still the threat of snow showers for eastern areas, though with areas north of the Forth doing generally better.

I'm pretty sure the the central belt has been battered by huge amounts of snow from a westerly breakdown...one I recall here dumped 5 inches of snow in Stirling..

Equally though, we've had ones in the past that have passed with a whimper,,

I know where my money is this time..

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Anybody noticed how on the latest BBC graphics for Friday it has almost the whole of Scotland and eastern England covered in white except a blue stripe across the central belt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just had a lovely, heavy, graupel shower which lasted about 10mins and turned everything white again! Instant coverage too and it's not melting. There are a few showers developing in the North Sea. Lets hope they continue to move this way!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Anybody noticed how on the latest BBC graphics for Friday it has almost the whole of Scotland and eastern England covered in white except a blue stripe across the central belt.

Yeh there is a new caveat with every forecast: "Except for viewers in Central Scotland"

Posted

Not snowing here! Saying that there seemed to be a good period of light snow this morning but no more accumulations (not that there been very much anyway)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I saw that myself. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Nothing changes there then.....lets pretend it won't happen...then mibees..just mibees.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Light snow again. We had a moderate snow shower about 1530h. Snow settled on all surfaces, even twigs and twiglets since there's no wind.

0.4C/0.1C/-0.4C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

920mb bomb mid Atlantic. Meanwhile we have a little system to deal with on Friday too. The bomb does edge closer to our shores but a ridge of high pressure and the jet stream prevent it hitting head on. Just imagine a system at 920mb hitting the UK. Ouuff!

post-18389-0-93336700-1358960638_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Any of you lot behind this Penicuik Snow Twitter account? :) ( @Penisnow )

https://twitter.com/penisnow

Interesting that the met o and yr.no both give the cold period a bit of an extension for Edinburgh (staying below zero (yr.no) or below 2C (met o) until Saturday daytime : http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Edinburgh/long.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_forecast_weather.html

Looks like mild, wet and meh from Sunday on though. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Thanks LS appreciate it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Heavy snow shower here.....heaviest of the week....all bare ground really white now.

Posted

I'm pooped! have cleared and chatted, and chatted and cleared, .. that's another bit I love about snow, the community spirit - I've spoken more to the neighbours this last week than .. seems like forever am all gossiped out, well room for a bit more on Friday mebbees tease.gif

New snow measure this morning 24 hours after measuring at 15-20cm yesterday morning the total depth now measures at 27-30cm.. well it did at 10am.. perhaps a couple more had fallen since then, some impressively thick showers this morning, a few lighter ones this afternoon, though they may not have added to depth due to compacting etc.. the snow that fell this morning was the first I saw of the "continental, fluffy stuff" so bonny!

Now I've sat and worked a phone shift, ma bodies achin' - is it too early for a dram?

oh and although this is a wee bit late, I did see the latest "snow bomb" (news called it that this morning) to hit Exeter was unforecast again, and that Exeter have resorted to nowcasting via Facebook.. oh the irony..

post-4683-0-66248500-1358964202_thumb.pn

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Anyone have any idea what uppers roughly would be needed for continuation of snowfall and limited snow loss at +/- 2000 ft (650mts). I'm curious as regards how Glenshee will fair during this likely spell of average temps that's coming up and would like to be able to gauge this while looking at the charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Anyone have any idea what uppers roughly would be needed for continuation of snowfall and limited snow loss at +/- 2000 ft (650mts). I'm curious as regards how Glenshee will fair during this likely spell of average temps that's coming up and would like to be able to gauge this while looking at the charts.

Given how low sea level pressure will be I think uppers of around -1C or lower would be enough to preserve cover on most of the runs and keep it falling as snow for the hills. Most models don't have anything higher than this until 6 days away so the first and probably the second band will be all snow events for the ski runs. After that things might turn dicey from the southwest but for the foreseeable the cover looks pretty well intact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Evening all! Currently -2.2 and still falling. Not for long though, wet and windy for the weekend, so back to normal!

Posted

Given how low sea level pressure will be I think uppers of around -1C or lower would be enough to preserve cover on most of the runs and keep it falling as snow for the hills. Most models don't have anything higher than this until 6 days away so the first and probably the second band will be all snow events for the ski runs. After that things might turn dicey from the southwest but for the foreseeable the cover looks pretty well intact.

Thanks LS. Appreciated as always.

Today has been the most "classic" easterly day of the cold spell for me in Dundee with good convective snow showers. Still coming through just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks LS. Appreciated as always.

Today has been the most "classic" easterly day of the cold spell for me in Dundee with good convective snow showers. Still coming through just now.

I'm just back in Freuchie this evening to get my kilt outfit for a piping gig at the weekend and there's about 3-4 inches and still falling. Very different from Central Edinburgh!

Posted

Despite some snowfall relatively close by and near the coast still nothing here in Crail. Looks like that half centimetre last Tuesday was it. Disappointing, even for here....though better than last winter if you want to be positive ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Grr. Left work in kirkcaldy at haf six, n the snaw was peltn down.

Drive 4 miles to glenrothes, n hee haw.

Actually aboot greetn.

Think i defo need to move