Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

Don't think the cloud will clear enough to get close to forecast temps... a succession of poor forecasts from media and models in regards to temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Surprised how quiet it is here, are you all bored of the snow? I suspect those up in higher parts might be!

Interesting forecast for this afternoons drive from Nottingham to Stanley, hoping to get up there by about 5:30pm so hopefully I will make it before the roads get too bad.

I think by the end of tonight I will be seeing the deepest snow of my life, can't wait to get up there.

What time are we expecting it to start? I'm at work so can't look at too many charts, but MetO now seem to say around 12 which would be dodgy for me, I wasn't expecting it until 3-4pm?

Posted

I think Yorkshire will get a dumping, but here in the NE, the NAE plus experience tells me that the Pennines will severely reduce the ppn, which will then reform around about York.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think we could get a couple of inches from this, it looks quite potent for a time this evening, but of course that'll all be turning to slush by this time tomorrow.

Posted

I think we could get a couple of inches from this, it looks quite potent for a time this evening, but of course that'll all be turning to slush by this time tomorrow.

Why? Temps are low and there's no rain due.

Posted

This has been a strange cold spell here. Yes we have had a bit of snow but it has all been marginal. In fact I don't quite know how we still have 3-4 inches on undisturdeb ground here, as in the last 8 or 9 days the temperature has barely fallen below freezing, despite repeated daily forecasts predicting otherwise!!! This is not good from our national forecaster. I don't mean it has been "just" out, I mean statiscally importantly erroneous, with forecasts recently showing regular night-time minima of -3 to -9, and actually not getting below freezing!!As I type, the Meto on-line forecast for Ryton (and presumably representative of other relatively low-lying parts of the North East) is for -5 tonight by midnight and then not getting above freezing until midnight tomorrow night ! If that happens I will run round Ryton with my pants on my head, cos it aint happenned so far this cold spell.

Hha, got to laugh, just watched the 6.30 weather beeb 1, I know the graphics are only representative, but it quite clearly showed the snow actuall missing Newcastle altogether tomorrow, slipping slightly South instead. Well, we will see, but I can't get greatly excited,

Karl

Have you got your pants ready mate?! Overnight low of -6.1C.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

am i wrong in thinking this snow event is meant to start tonight 6ish well looking at the radar it could be over by 6

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I doubt it with estimated temperatures at around 3ºC and thats at the coast. Temps aren't expected to start rising exponentially until around early sunday so saturday should see laying snow all day with only a very slow thaw.

am i wrong in thinking this snow event is meant to start tonight 6ish well looking at the radar it could be over by 6

From what I've read over on TWO, there is a second weather front ahead of the main stuff, which is not shown on the FAX charts. The main precipitation and the one that we should be concentrating on, is over Northern Ireland at present :)

Posted

The patchy cloud coming through now is associated with an upper warm front the main front which will become occluded moves in later around 6pm.

Posted

From what I've read over on TWO, there is a second weather front ahead of the main stuff, which is not shown on the FAX charts. The main precipitation and the one that we should be concentrating on, is over Northern Ireland at present smile.png

And boy does it look a doozy on the radar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Colder the better

Already started snowing again (light snow only) in hexham, looking out the window at work. Didnt think it was due to start for another couple of hours?

Posted

Already started snowing again (light snow only) in hexham, looking out the window at work. Didnt think it was due to start for another couple of hours?

Proper snow not really due til after dark now but you may see a few flurries on and off all afternoon from the weak first front starting to cross us now, shouldn't amount to much yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

snowing in darlo and this first front has a bit more to it than i think people realise

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

snowing in darlo and this first front has a bit more to it than i think people realise

Like I mentioned earlier this light ppn is coming from an upper front (warm in this case) around 8,000-10,000ft and much of the ppn will probably evaporate on the way down so will in most cases be very light at the surface.

Edited by NL

Posted

its small flakes but moderate fall and its laying so happy days, starter before the main course then

Posted

Surprised how quiet it is here, are you all bored of the snow? I suspect those up in higher parts might be!

So far Ive lost 6 days work with it, tried going back this morning but sacked it off after getting stuck in Consett and spending 45 minutes digging myself out :-(

Tomorrow looks like been a write off also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

Light here to! But it is lying! I would be happy for a nice covering before main event

Posted

I'm in Darlington at the moment and although it's small flakes, i's a moderate fall and it's given a covering straight away. The cold dry ground has definitely helped. Wasn't expecting this ahead of the main belt.

Posted

Looks deliciously bleak out there - snow covered street with moderate blowing snow. Lovely!