Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Leaving for Stanley soon, I don't have much hope of making it back before the snow.

I have a back up plan of going to my grans in Jarrow if the road to Stanley gets tricky.

Should be due back about 17:30 in normal conditions, we'll see what time I actually make it back!

Hope it falls as snow for everyone though, should be ok for high ground but it would be a cruel way to end this cold spell if it's rain or sleet.

Can't wait to be back in the frozen north!

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21198521Just had a scout round some recent posts in the Scottish and North West threads.

Parts of Scotland seem to be getting rain turning quickly to heavy snow (Pert/Dundee areas esp). In the NW it would appear to be just moving in, with some places reporting snow.

Unfortunately, I just checked this out, lokk at the Tyne and Wear Snow Shield !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

wow thats sum heavy ppn just coming into the northwest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Heading our way.....might shock a few away from the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

matt hugo on twitter saying "northern england are you ready" yes yes we are

Posted

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but the heavy stuff will be for the NW, Yorkshire, and N Mids. Our area will, I think, get moderate ppn at best. The models have been saying this, and the radar suggests this. The "are you ready" will be more for areas just to our south, so I wouldn't get too excited about being amongst the "big winners".

Posted

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but the heavy stuff will be for the NW, Yorkshire, and N Mids. Our area will, I think, get moderate ppn at best. The models have been saying this, and the radar suggests this. The "are you ready" will be more for areas just to our south, so I wouldn't get too excited about being amongst the "big winners".

Agreed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yes I agree and you need some decent elevation as well Matt has also tweeted this

Some heavy/very heavy precip through the Irish Sea now heading ENE - Risk of some locally very heavy snow into N Eng coming hours...

@pacrabtree temps touch and go tho. ?

Nah, not away from coastal areas or very low lying areas but heaviest snow still likely above 200-250m though.

In old money thats those 656ft to 820ft or higher which will see the heaviest falls

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

After this evenings snow Saturday is looking like been a lovely day with lots of sunshine and light winds max temperatures look likely to be around 4c its overnight into Sunday when we see the big change as a band of rain sweeps through that will signal the end to the cold spell

Posted

Currently 0.6°C here with the dew point at -2.8°C with a moderate southerly wind the coldest southerly wind I've had in a while

Posted

Just watch the radar and see what happens, there is not an awful lot to gain from this in all fairness as it'll all start to thaw quickly by Sunday but lets hope for some fun and games.

Snow has just starting to fall again.

Posted

Currently 0.6°C here with the dew point at -2.8°C with a moderate southerly wind the coldest southerly wind I've had in a while

lol, just thought, at the North Pole it is too cold for a barby yet the wind always comes from the South !

Posted

Just watch the radar and see what happens, there is not an awful lot to gain from this in all fairness as it'll all start to thaw quickly by Sunday but lets hope for some fun and games.

Snow has just starting to fall again.

At the moment, though, Saturday could be the day to drive between Stanhope and Middleton, then up to Langdon Beck and over to St John's Chapel. Could be a spectacular drive with snow piled up to top of car height!

Posted

Kilhope to allenheads should be an interesting drive tomorrow. Highest road in the country just over 2000 feets.

Posted

Shame we're not getting that incredibly intense lot that's just coming into Cumbria and Lancs... I've never experienced that and I can't remember the last time the NE got snow of that intensity.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Shame we're not getting that incredibly intense lot that's just coming into Cumbria and Lancs... I've never experienced that and I can't remember the last time the NE got snow of that intensity.

I think 1979 was the last time I saw snow coming in from the west with great intensity ( I was 15yrs old ) the snow just kept on piling, then after several hours of intense snow there was intense rainfall and turned it all to wallpaper paste slush, it was awful..

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Radar looks better further south at the moment, with Leeds seemingly a very favourable location as it stands. Plenty of precipitation still coming out of Ireland though - there could be several bouts of snow throughout tonight if people are worried about missing out on the heaviest stuff :)