Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well I wasn't expecting this so early just got to the supermarket and it started to snow, is this coming earlier than expected or is the main band following on?

Well I wasn't expecting this so early just got to the supermarket and it started to snow, is this coming earlier than expected or is the main band following on?

Main band following on :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

This band should last until about 2pm, according to the radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Matt Hugo is getting excited about the snow on twitter.

Posted

Matt Hugo is getting excited about the snow on twitter.

He loves twitter does Matt!

Anyway looks like some heavier snow will be over darlo for next 45 minutes or so before the first band starts to pass through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

much colder out there today isnt it? feels like real winter. snow drifting around the streets of Durham....cant wait to drive back to Consett later....:-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Snowing heavily in Woodham, Newton Aycliffe.

Posted

Like I mentioned earlier this light ppn is coming from an upper front (warm in this case) around 8,000-10,000ft and much of the ppn will probably evaporate on the way down so will in most cases be very light at the surface.

To be fair, this front does have a bit of strength to it all things considering and its dry settling snow so I would consider this as a little bit of a bonus really. Looks like there is some heavier pulses just to the South of us so make the most of it I will say.

The heavier stuff is likely to be more marginal though and I imagine any snowfall could be more of the wet variety and may struggle to accumulate.

Posted

Is it me or is this "main band" of heavier snow moving in a SW to NE direction (over Scotland) unless theirs a wind change this could turn into a non event (apart from what we have now)

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

I was just about to post exactly the same thing looking at the radar. There is a clump of showers just south of that which may hit us, but judging my it's current course, I can't see the main band hitting us at all.

Posted

Is it me or is this "main band" of heavier snow moving in a SW to NE direction (over Scotland) unless theirs a wind change this could turn into a non event (apart from what we have now)

Touche

Posted

Remember my post from yesterday... the BBC weather graphics showed nearly all of the main snow totally missing the Newcastle area !!

I think there be a bit of a rain shadow effect around here but we have too just watch the radar and wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Surely this main band can't pass to our north when it's due to hit everywhere down to the midlands?

I can't see radar at the moment so I'm a bit blind, but the Met Office only updated their warning recently and it still sounded positive.

I hope they are right!

Posted

The heavier pulses are moving North and East but the band in general is moving WNW/ESE'ly as its projected to do, its just doing what a normal band of PPN does from a front coming in from the West.

Posted

Remember my post from yesterday... the BBC weather graphics showed nearly all of the main snow totally missing the Newcastle area !!

Yes but that was because of the rain shadow effect, with the heaviest being to our south... it wasn't because it all went north (which it won't)!

The heavier pulses are moving North and East but the band in general is moving WNW/ESE'ly as its projected to do, its just doing what a normal band of PPN does from a front coming in from the West.

Yep.

Posted

Playing Devil's advocate really and reporting what I saw on the beeb weather y/day, without really believing the graphics at all, never do.

I think, as they have been so bullish about it, that most of our region is going to get a pasting after dark for a few hours, it does seem nailed on. We can then enjoy one more day tomorrow out on the slopes with our sledges before it all disappears !

Hopefully more before winter is out eh?

Posted

Word of warning we have light sleet at moment, main band about to arrive hopefully we will see some snow otherwise it will go down as one of the spray no. Events and BBC meto creditability goes out the window