Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

To be fair, there has been some snowfall to the East of high ground, it looked pretty persistant over Northumberland for example.

Its one of those where some areas will recieve some heavier bursts but the PPN will be fairly fragmented so its all luck of the draw really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Well I'm happy with my 3cm or so, sometimes we get nothing from an Atlantic front and there looks to be a bit more to come yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Still nothing here haha. Might get some polystyrene and scrub it together. Very strong winds though so if we do get a decent fall it would be epic

Posted

To be fair, there has been some snowfall to the East of high ground, it looked pretty persistant over Northumberland for example.

Its one of those where some areas will recieve some heavier bursts but the PPN will be fairly fragmented so its all luck of the draw really.

This is true. But what's in Northumberland didn't come from across the Pennines! Further south, Newc is doing OK, but around Durham it's poor - just too many high hills to get over! Like I say, unlike for Yorks and the Mids, there doesn't look like there's much that's left to even attempt to make its way over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Yes because the ppn is dispersed by the hills. This is one of the better attempts I can recall as I now have 1cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

never stopped since 5ish here!!! not heavy now but still lying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Bog all in Nunthorpe

Posted

I'll be really surprised if at least most of us don't record another moderate/heavy burst of snow at least, but do make the most of what we got left though because it could be the last time we see snowfall falling for a while.

Posted

Main action for the North-East looks to be 11 pm onwards,should be a heavy band of

snow crossing the region judging by the sharp change in wind direction.

Posted

LOL - look at the radar - you can see the rainshadow (of Crossfell??) right in front of Durham!; :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Can hear the snow blowing against the windows here. I think there maybe some nice drifts up on higher ground.

Posted

Constant light snow here since 4.30. Still 1cm. The light shower which unexpecteldy drifted in of the N.Sea in the early hours of Thursday morning gave 2cm.......

Posted

Constant light snow here since 4.30. Still 1cm. The light shower which unexpecteldy drifted in of the N.Sea in the early hours of Thursday morning gave 2cm.......

LOL... seriously, look at the rain shadow I'm in. You've got to laugh! ;)

Posted

You did not get that heavier burst around 5:30 then FP?

Something is falling from the sky here but its certainly not all snow, something mixed in with it and if there is any flakes, they must be small.

Posted

You did not get that heavier burst around 5:30 then FP?

Something is falling from the sky here but its certainly not all snow, something mixed in with it and if there is any flakes, they must be small.

Yes I did. Thats what gave the most of the 1cm the flakes were quite large about 8/10 intensity, which is about equivelent to the heaviest snow during this cold spell. I am not complaining as its been a very memorable spell. However I for one would like to see a deep cold feed and higher intensity of ppn Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Light snow in Darlo nothing to get excited about really its left a light covering but it will be gone tomorrow once the sun gets out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

in darlo we av at least 3-5 cm

Light snow in Darlo nothing to get excited about really its left a light covering but it will be gone tomorrow once the sun gets out

in my bk garden these a very good covering and it looks like we have just had a very heavy shower

Posted

Must admit Nick, you do have to laugh when looking at the radar, but thats just the weather for you! :) Bring on a convective Northerly, really been ages since we had one of those that sustains for more than 12 hours at least!

Posted

Must admit Nick, you do have to laugh when looking at the radar, but thats just the weather for you! smile.png Bring on a convective Northerly, really been ages since we had one of those that sustains for more than 12 hours at least!

Can't agree more. Even better a GH with a deep cold NE feed!

Posted

Still resolutely dry here in Durham! rofl.gifsmiliz39.gif

Mids and Southern N Eng looks best placed... that radar is a kick in the teeth when you see what they've got!

I'm not sure I've ever experienced the sort of intensity they're reporting in NW/Leeds/etc... do we ever get that up here (whites on the radar!)???