Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

That sounded like a moan as well smile.png

LOL

Fair enough - I was moaning about people thinking I was moaning... if I'm going to really go for it, I'd start moaning about how you need to translate posts... let me see:

heavy snow = moderate snow

moderate snow = light snow

light snow = snizzle

snizzle = fogged up glasses.

Posted

LOL

Fair enough - I was moaning about people thinking I was moaning... if I'm going to really go for it, I'd start moaning about how you need to translate posts... let me see:

heavy snow = moderate snow

moderate snow = light snow

light snow = snizzle

snizzle = fogged up glasses.

Tbf I just wanted to sound like our lass for a bit. She keeps telling me I'm being miserable, I snap and tell her where to go, which in turn proves her point apparently haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Although the radar shows all the heavy stuff north of me (like usual), I can confirm that it is snowing heavily here.

How much did you get from the snow around lunchtime ? I was in Woodham from 10am till 1pm and it came down pretty heavy. There was much more fresh snow when I left compared to here in Gateshead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

It's only weather! The areas getting the highest intensity for the most part got MUCH less than us in Nov 10 and probably have less right now !

I'm sure you are quite happy and stating the facts- but we all know the south/midlands is in a better position for tonight's event; I'm just concentrating on what's outside :)

Posted

You can imagine that the really really heavy stuff showing on the radar can only be rain.

You can see from the traffic webcams it's snow.

Posted

I can't report for Nick R's location but this is deffo heavy dry snow here with a blowing wind, flakes are very small(i wish they were bigger for visual reasons) but its certainly turning out to be a good frontal snow event.

If this was the daytime, the weather will be talked about by joe public and perhaps look even better and heavier if it was daylight. :)

Posted

but not on the scale of some of the sustained intensity being reported.

Yes but there is a difference between "reported" and "reality". I take most reports outside the Northern thread with a pinch of salt. I've seen excitable snow starved yoofs report a foot or more of snow and back those claims up with a picture of their Corsa complete with body kit and a cm of graupel on the roof.

Posted

The back edge to all of this is still out in the Irish sea!

Even Captain Oates wouldn't have went oot tha neet.biggrin.png

Posted

It's only weather! The areas getting the highest intensity for the most part got MUCH less than us in Nov 10 and probably have less right now !

I'm sure you are quite happy and stating the facts- but we all know the south/midlands is in a better position for tonight's event; I'm just concentrating on what's outside smile.png

Oh, I know. I was saying that hours ago when others were getting all excited, so it's not that my expectations have been let down - I didn't have any great expectations (scroll back through the thread)... but I think the sheer intensity of it has been way above what was expected (I thought such ppn was forecast for Cumbria and the NYM mainly)(.

Posted

How much did you get from the snow around lunchtime ? I was in Woodham from 10am till 1pm and it came down pretty heavy. There was much more fresh snow when I left compared to here in Gateshead.

Haven't even had chance to measure it, at a guess around a cm, with around a cm at tea time. Then probably another cm now, but it's all guesswork.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

Just drove from Newcastle back to morpeth

North Newcastle has very little snow when I left an hour ago. One you pass morpeth it's a lot heavier

Roads are bad ( had to tow merc up a hill) and got home to find approx 3 inches yay

Posted

Yes but there is a difference between "reported" and "reality". I take most reports outside the Northern thread with a pinch of salt. I've seen excitable snow starved yoofs report a foot or more of snow and back those claims up with a picture of their Corsa complete with body kit and a cm of graupel on the roof.

I don't know - normally I'd agree... but those radar returns are massive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Its rain with sleet mix in here nowhere near snow, i do live right on the coast but dident think that would matter this time with the wind having a westerly componant to it.

Even Scarbrough is having snow

Im confused as hell here.

Some heavy precip arriving here shortly, last chance saloon here for the night i think.

Edited by seabreeze86

Posted

I can't report for Nick R's location but this is deffo heavy dry snow here with a blowing wind, flakes are very small(i wish they were bigger for visual reasons) but its certainly turning out to be a good frontal snow event.

If this was the daytime, the weather will be talked about by joe public and perhaps look even better and heavier if it was daylight. smile.png

Light to Moderate, starting to be moderate here - just edging into the yellow. Blowing around a lot. Not much accumulation, partly lack of ppn, partly wind. That coupled with the lack of the visuals as you rightly say mean it's all a bit "Meh". Up on a hill it must be awesome though! Consett folk?

Posted

I think that is harsh and untrue and you also have NO evidence to back such a claim up.

It seems like from reading the threads down there, the heavy snow down there is accompanied by much bigger flakes, really large ones which is not surprising giving the intensity but also perhaps the fact its more marginal further South before the mild sector disappears.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Blizzard conditions here wow wow heaviest snow seen for ages shame little flakes but its coming down in blankets sideways

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The flakes are quite small here now, at least we had big flakes earlier on this evening for around an hour.

Posted

I think that is harsh and untrue and you also have NO evidence to back such a claim up.

I don't need evidence. You want to know why? Because I was not making a claim, I was making a joke out of it. Lighten up man.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I am also very impressed by this W frontal snow. But there has been not been "Heavy Snow" or" Blizzards" here so far. Or maybe I am judging it on snow events which some have either never seen before or forgotten? I recall Very Heavy snow showers delivery 3-4 inches in 1 hour...... Has anyone got that kind of intensity?

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

The flakes are quite small here now, at least we had big flakes earlier on this evening for around an hour.

Yes small flakes here as well. My footprints are covered in the backyard from about half an hour ago. Temp must be rising though as I can hear dripping now outside the backdoor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Snow intensity is measured on visibility and only visibility. Some low visibility at times here, but its not been heavy for long, mostly light to mod.

I'll dig up the scale

Posted

I don't need evidence. You want to know why? Because I was not making a claim, I was making a joke out of it. Lighten up man.

Your like me though, when things don't go your way, you go negative so its hard to tell online whether your making a dry joke or not! Although I'll take on board next time that you do joke now and again!

Anyways, still heavy dry snowflakes around here. :)