Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

I am also very impressed by this W frontal snow. But there has been not been "Heavy Snow" or" Blizzards" here so far. Or maybe I am judging it on snow events which some have either never seen before or forgotten? I recall Very Heavy snow showers delivery 3-4 inches in 1 hour...... Has anyone got that kind of intensity?

I must say the number of reports of "heavy snow" even in this thread over the last couple of weeks at times when we've had nothing on the radar more than yellow has struck me as a little bizarre... I think it's all to do with perception, but I do think it is misleading.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Finally something happening here.

Not a lot though, it's as if someones had a dodgy take away in county Durham and bent over to tie their shoes!

Posted

Your like me though, when things don't go your way, you go negative so its hard to tell online whether your making a dry joke or not! Although I'll take on board next time that you do joke now and again!

So do I!... the problem is I play up to the miserable git so much I end up believing it myself and taking my jokes seriously!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think it's pretty unusual for frontal snow to be heavier than North Sea snow showers anywhere, but a snow shower will drop maybe a couple of inches in half an hour whereas frontal snow can give over 6 inches over the course of entire day, although the North East rarely does very well out of these events compared with some places such as West Yorkshire.

Posted

I am furious. I spent all my life in s yorks looking up north at the snow! Now i move up here and they ring from home to say its the heaviest they have ever seen! This comes days after there was heavy snow to the north of me, and we got 1cm!

Posted

I must say the number of reports of "heavy snow" even in this thread over the last couple of weeks at times when we've had nothing on the radar more than yellow has struck me as a little bizarre... I think it's all to do with perception, but I do think it is misleading.

Don't forget the radar doesn't always give a 100% view as snow seems to confuse it. Wednesday didn't look very potent on the radar but it was easily the heaviest snow shower I have seen this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Light snow - vis over 1km

Snow flurry - very brief light snow

Mod snow - 0.5km to 1km vis

Heavy snow - under 0.5km vis

Snow storm - steady or prolonged heavy snow

Blizzard - heavy snow and sustained wind, frequent gusts over 50km/h

No fake reports now then !

Posted

I think tonight.s snow in darlington is the best we have had out of this cold spell.we have a good covering with heavy snow blowing around.anyone know how much longer it will last?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Well the rain has turned to hail/ice pellets here, baby stepsrofl.gif

Posted

I'd say it's been varying between heavy and moderate tonight. At 5pm ish you couldn't see the park which is one block away from me.

Posted

Very impressed with this frontal event. I was expecting light sleet at best as is usual in these setups for us, but its been all snow, moderate intensity and a few cms built up now. Much better than usual!

Posted

Not that that's very useful when you can't see further than 50 metres without seeing another house or building! ;)

Posted

Well the rain has turned to hail/ice pellets here, baby stepsrofl.gif

What is your temperature and dew point?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

... Eeeshh..just been invited to my mates house for a beer. My words were f##k off do yiu think im coming oot in this.

Posted

... Eeeshh..just been invited to my mates house for a beer. My words were f##k off do yiu think im coming oot in this.

Are you in Consett though?

Posted

Back to medium/big flakes here.

Posted

So is what is currently to the W and N of our region due to move over us before it clears away?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

What is your temperature and dew point?

Temp 1.5 Dewpoint - 0.3 and now chucking down with rain again

Game over sums up this cold spell from IMBY perspective, 2 frosts and 1 decent snowfall. The best part has been seeing them amazing pictures from Consett.

Dont often moan but cant help but feeling really cheezed off it almost seems like everyone else in the east is seeing snow except here.

Posted

Moderately snowing still and blowing about. What I'd like to see for a good half hour before it dies out is some massive flakes laying down a couple extra cms in no time...that's what this spell has lacked for me.

Posted

..Yes.

Well then you only seem to get heavy snow up there! The place is a snow magnet!.. It's like a posh Tow Law. ;)

Posted

Though we've only ended up with between 3 and 4 inches, it has been by far the best snowfall event of the winter so far here.. shows how poor it has been this side of the Pennines for snowfall amounts, I do wonder how much we could have seen last Friday had the front got this far, alas, I'm just happy this cold period has managed to deliver a half decent snowfall and therefore means I rate this cold spell a 5 out of 10 as opposed to a 3.5 which is what I would have given it had this snowfall not occured.

Anyone who wants to make the most of the snow, should make the most of daylight hours tomorrow, before the thaw sets in.. could be a cracking morning over the snowy Pennines. Conditions thereafter look generally miserable with a rapid thaw, the fells and Pennines will probably turn into a quagmire, though the very highest ground I suspect will retain a snow cover for a while yet - mind Tuesday looks a very mild day everywhere and the rain and wind will probably strip many of the fells and pennines of there snow leaving snow banks. But we still have February and March..

Posted

been snowing most of evening here, blowing around a bit,

would describe it as mainly moderate with the odd heavier burst, but must say I have been pleasently suprised by tonights snow as I wasn,t expecting much,

Imby all surfaces have now got a covering of at least an extra 1" on top of the 3 to 5" that was still remaining from last week.

still snowing now with bigger flakes

nice end to the current cold spell, looking forward to the next one if we get one.