Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

After the failed attempt earlier in the week my hopes for tonight were low the one reason was because of the Pennines so many times before with rain its been heavy in the west but once it comes our way it is light and patchy thats exactly whats happening tonight so its not surprised me one bit

Early days yet though....

Posted

To be fair its coming down very heavily at the moment, as I said I have about an inch of fresh snow and its only been sticking for about an hour.

Nothing on the radar suggest "very heavy" - yellow with a bit of orange at best.. the reds were further north and are in the N sea now.

NickR is seething again!

Nope. I'm stating what it looks like.

You've clearly got something personal against me - why not take it to PM, mate?

Edited by NickR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Nothing on the radar suggest "very heavy" - yellow with a bit of orange at best.. the reds were further north and are in the N sea now.

OK, maybe not very heavy as that would be 4"+ an hour, but its certainly heavy rather than moderate, although the flakes aren't as big as they were half an hour ago. I still think we will get about 2 inches all in which isn't bad, although it won't be looking as fresh by the morning!

Edited by Alza

Posted

If you follow the last radar shots, it's not actually moving any further N... the heavier stuff along our line has actually lost intensity. That heavy stuff will hit N Yorks/Leeds. Would've been nice to experience genuine torrential snow, but looks like it won't be for us.

You was right, Leeds are getting hammered :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Those wanting snow think yersell lucky that we have a breakdown with snow and not the usual sleety/rain wimper..

Posted

Nothing personal, just stating the usual nonsense in this thread of your constant moaning!

1 - I already explained the circumstances surrounding that night.

2 - I'm not moaning... I'm stating what looks likely and that it'll be a shame.

3 - Take anything further to PM

Posted

After an early dusting with very light wet sleety snow late morning, it turned into a sleety drizzle around lunchtime. From 3.30pm as the band hit we have had some heavy snow about an inch on the ground which turned lighter in the past hour but is now heavy again, I'm expecting some further heavy falls in the next 3-4 hours, so we should easily end up with a couple of inches, possibly a bit more. Lots of accidents around here and the roads are treacherous - traffic slow crawling through Kendal for instance.

Not sure what the radar forecasts are doing - hard to see the south lakes underneath all the oranges!

Looking forward to a walk later on.

We always do well in these set ups, such a shame it is going to mark the end of the cold spell, it now looks like delivering our greatest fall of the cold spell, so far 3cms is the most we've managed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

I think it's heading further south, not here. Sorry, but this looks like one giant kick in the balls: spectacular conditions for most of England while we get a whimper.

I give up on these forums long before I give up on the weather sorry.gif Writing it off before it has even happened? Crazy talk help.gif

Posted

I give up on these forums long before I give up on the weather sorry.gif Writing it off before it has even happened? Crazy talk help.gif

Just going by a) the models; b.) the radar; c) experience. ;-)

I'd love to be proved wrong, of course!! But in the meantime, I'll get a curry in, open a beer and stick a film on with the missus! smile.png

Edited by NickR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Anyway you think its not going to be to bad in darlington? Not much going on right now outside my window

We are in a gap at the moment. Lots out to the west and WSW of us. Keeping my fingers crossed most of it makes it past the Pennines intact. It won't all die off that's for sure. If it all stayed together we'd all get 20cm+ as there is a LOT of precip heading our way. The figures quoted are more like 5-10cm with the highest totals on high ground, so I think the impact of the Pennines is taken into account.

Experience counts for very little in nowcast situations like this, by the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Not good here at the moment just had a burst of what i would call icy rain. Need the temp to drop or for the heavy precip to make it hear.

If not then its all over for mecray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Anyway you think its not going to be to bad in darlington? Not much going on right now outside my window

I can't see anything other than a dusting at the moment the Pennines are taking the brunt of the snow to the east its lighter and more patchy

Posted

We are in a gap at the moment. Lots out to the west and WSW of us. Keeping my fingers crossed most of it makes it past the Pennines intact. It won't all die off that's for sure. If it all stayed together we'd all get 20cm+ as there is a LOT of precip heading our way. The figures quoted are more like 5-10cm with the highest totals on high ground, so I think the impact of the Pennines is taken into account.

Experience counts for very little in nowcast situations like this, by the way.

Erm... but every event ends up being a nowcast... the more of them you live through, the more experience you get about how things tend to turn out, and the better able you are to predict what will happen in the next similar "nowcast", so I'm not sure what you mean here. For instance, the heavy bursts that were heading this way petered out to a large extent over the Pennines, which experience could tell us was likely to happen.

Posted

Almost stopped here, got a decent cover though. Hopefully there is another heavy burst on its way!

Posted

Some problems on the roads at the moment,interesting one down near the Causey.

BBC - Travel News - Tyne and Wear : Live Road Incidents

A1 in Northumberland getting tricky now as well..

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Getting heavier again here.

Posted

Looking at the radar, I can't really see where the heavy ppn is going to come from for us here in the NE. Yorks/Lincs/EA should do well later though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

This is going to be the standard attempt at a Westery based front producing decent snowfall East of high ground - it does not happen.

Posted

This is going to be the standard attempt at a Westery based front producing decent snowfall East of high ground - it does not happen.

Looks that way to me,