Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

At the moment there is an intense band of snow just NE of Preston and looking at its track its heading for the southern half of the NE the question is whats left of it once it crosses the Pennines

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

At the moment there is an intense band of snow just NE of Preston and looking at its track its heading for the southern half of the NE the question is whats left of it once it crosses the Pennines

Yeah the Pennines can suck hard in these circumstances :( Hopefully we'll still get 5-10cm out of tonight though :)

Posted

If you follow the last radar shots, it's not actually moving any further N... the heavier stuff along our line has actually lost intensity. That heavy stuff will hit N Yorks/Leeds. Would've been nice to experience genuine torrential snow, but looks like it won't be for us.

Posted

Planned a ride up past Waskerley but got turned back because of drifting snow.

Cracking walk in Slaley forest with the dog instead. Deep deep snow, trees weighed down with snow and really spectacular.

Back home to an extra 2cm snow and a rarity for here, proper blowing snow!!

For me that's 3 out of the last 4 winters in the 'canny' class. Think back to all those snowless winters with barely even a frost all winter!

To drive through the likes of Stanley and Consett and see the amount of snow is incredible, great dayrolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

After playing the radar through a few times I have to agree with what NickR is saying, although we could still get an inch or two this evening as the precipitation looks moderate at least and its settling readily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Hartlepool may get some snow looking at the radar! Nothing yet however

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

quite heavy here, have a nice covering again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Snowing heavily on a southerly wind here in Gateshead. It was snowing heavily in Newton Aycliffe from about 10am till 1pm when I was there today with about an inch of accumalation however here in Gateshead it was snowing lightly with only a cm or two of accumalation.

I don't normally enjoy snowfalls where I know it's going to melt the next day but it's nice to see this cold spell going out with a bang.

Edited by Snow White

Posted

The Pennines are doing their best to break it up - looks a lot more fragmented now than 30 minutes ago.

Posted

Moderate snow and strong winds here with temps below freezing,drifting snow will be an

issue on higher level roads at the moment.

Posted

This band of snow is becoming less intense as it makes its way east of the Pennines some moderate bursts are likely in places but the intense stuff doesn't look like making it our way

Posted

i hope this keeps up til after 10pm i have to go pick up our lass from toon and looking foward to an exiting journey

Posted

You can see the life being sucked out of the band as it crosses the pennines on the radar loop. Hope some managed to make it over.

Posted

I think it's going to be a VERY frustrating and disappointing night watching many areas of England get heavy, HEAVY snow in once-in-a-generation conditions, while we get pretty run of the mill moderate bursts.

Posted

I think it's going to be a VERY frustrating and disappointing night watching many areas of England get heavy, HEAVY snow in once-in-a-generation conditions, while we get pretty run of the mill moderate bursts.

After the failed attempt earlier in the week my hopes for tonight were low the one reason was because of the Pennines so many times before with rain its been heavy in the west but once it comes our way it is light and patchy thats exactly whats happening tonight so its not surprised me one bit

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Don't give up hope yet folks. Precipitation will make it over the Pennines, and there is a lot of it to come. It may look a little fragmented but look at what is coming out of the Irish Sea, all heading this way, and the Pennines won't kill it all off :)

Posted

Heavy snow here, an inch so far this evening.

Posted

over inch in last hour here!

Posted

Don't give up hope yet folks. Precipitation will make it over the Pennines, and there is a lot of it to come. It may look a little fragmented but look at what is coming out of the Irish Sea, all heading this way, and the Pennines won't kill it all off smile.png

I think it's heading further south, not here. Sorry, but this looks like one giant kick in the balls: spectacular conditions for most of England while we get a whimper.

Posted

To be fair its coming down very heavily at the moment, as I said I have about an inch of fresh snow and its only been sticking for about an hour.