Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

heavy snow here too not settling tho!

Where?

Posted

Still light snow falling here in a steady easterly despite radar showing nothing overhead. Had about 3cm last night but gutters are dripping, so some melt going on.

Just measured 13cms total on Patio table whereas there only about 7cm on the grass....which indicates it must be melting due to warmer ground temps?...

Looks like a frost due tonight according to gfs so could be some tricky conditions on untreated surfaces later.

post-1172-0-89142700-1358938741_thumb.jp

Posted

Why are BBC forecasts saying snow is dying out looks like some areas getting alot! About 5 inches of fresh snow here since the early hours

Because more often than not on News 24 forecasts they stick to a script from hour to hour regardless of what's actually happening, I've seen it

before with thunderstorms developing unexpectedly but forecast updates don't change.

Posted

What do you think Olly more to come or rapid thaw? told mother to cancel GP's one less thing for me to have to do tease.gif

its not like she is ill its just she likes going to Doc's just incase.

kaz

Well North Devon Council just tweeted these,

ndevoncouncil

Weather update: radar showing heavier snow to the east of #NDevon #DevonWinter

23/01/2013 10:47

ndevoncouncil

MT @paulkclews: #Ilfracombe college will be closing due to unforseen weather. #DevonWinter

23/01/2013 10:59

Looking at the radar and also the 06z GFS run, im guessing its going to be here for most of the day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Really heavy snow nowgood.gif

Posted

Snow nearly stopped here now as skies brighten somewhat. 0.2C

Posted

Mega stuff here in central Bristol - wish i was at home in SG though!

Someone mentioned here about a 'snowbomb'!

Posted

Any chance it expand back in to Frome?

I've a feeling our chance has gone, the precipitation area moved over West Wilts/East Somerset earlier and was developing further then. It's slowly

edging West/North West away from us and developing even more. We may get the odd flurry but for anything more it would need flurries in the Salisbury

area to develop.

Posted

Mega stuff here in central Bristol - wish i was at home in SG though!

Someone mentioned here about a 'snowbomb'!

Snow bomb? Tell me more tell me moreclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Posted

Moderate wet snow here but not settling- in fact, it seems to be melting what had settled last night. No laying snow on pavements now, but still some on grass, shed roof etc. Has been snowing constantly since I got up at 7.30.

Incidentally, does 'pitching' mean settling? I haven't heard the term before. Is it a south west term? I've only just moved here. I thought it might be a more meteorological term I didn't know, but my neighbour just used it and he certainly isn't particularly scientifically minded. (He asked me the other day which direction was north. I told him. He then asked me which direction was south).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Booo. Stopped now :(

hehe.

Until next time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Yes, 'pitching' is the official snow term for when it erm... 'settles' :)

Posted

Moderate wet snow here but not settling- in fact, it seems to be melting what had settled last night. No laying snow on pavements now, but still some on grass, shed roof etc. Has been snowing constantly since I got up at 7.30.

Incidentally, does 'pitching' mean settling? I haven't heard the term before. Is it a south west term? I've only just moved here. I thought it might be a more meteorological term I didn't know, but my neighbour just used it and he certainly isn't particularly scientifically minded. (He asked me the other day which direction was north. I told him. He then asked me which direction was south).

Yes pitching is indeed a West Country term. I have friends in the West Midlands and when I was talking to them about the snow pitching they looked at me dumbfounded. So best to say settling if you want people from the rest of the UK to know what you mean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Thanks Andy, What about the stuff just off south coast, any chance that could come in later this afternoon?

Posted

I grew up in Devon, where the snow "settled".

I moved to Bristol, where the snow "pitched".

It also "lays" in some places, I think!

Posted

Snow now pitching on my road and pavementgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Now we have got very heavy fine snow!! I think I have seen every type of snow these last few days ,big flakes, little flakes, Wet snow, powdery snow, drifting snow, heavy snow, light snow etc etc etc!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Gibby, have to laugh at that one, yesterday colleague came out to door and said christ its pitching? I thought what the heck is she on about ? Horizontal snow, but now you explained it make sense, settling is most common used. But i`m in west country now so pitching is fine as that`s the local lingo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Call it "Sticking" in Birmingham, Other words Brummies use for snow can't be repeated here because of swear blockgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I grew up in Devon, where the snow "settled".

I moved to Bristol, where the snow "pitched".

It also "lays" in some places, I think!

Northerners usually say "sticking" .

Settling is the correct term though blum.gif