Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z------------->

A.J

Posted

If the temperatures from last Friday until now had been below freezing the amount of lying snow in the region would of been quite remarkable.

Such a shame the temperature hasent been that cold, if it had stayed below zero throughout this recent period then this would of been quite an event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

If the temperatures from last Friday until now had been below freezing the amount of lying snow in the region would of been quite remarkable.

Such a shame the temperature hasent been that cold, if it had stayed below zero throughout this recent period then this would of been quite an event.

Yes temperatures have been very disappointing :(

Posted

I once did a little essay on the pitch/settle distinction for an English language module. Suffice to say, west country people use it, and furriners come from the east with their fancy "settle". In my informal and entirely unscientific research, it seems as though Wiltshire born youngsters are now beginning to say settle under the influence of those same incomers, and of TV. Boooo!

Posted

Haha, thanks everyone! I haven't been in the country for 7 years but before that I lived in the south east midlands and it was definitely 'settling' there! biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Can't believe its snowing. Didn't know this was going to happen.

Great stuff. Another covering bring me more please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Settling/pitching/laying whatever it's called it's not bloody happening here lol.

No rain but no snow either. The snow shield is back in place here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Yes, 'pitching' is the official snow term for when it erm... 'settles' smile.png

In Weymouth they call it a "Miracle"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Heavy snow here in North Bristol again. I didn't realise this was due? Exciting stuff and its starting to settle a bit on pavements.

On another note, am i sad in feeling depressed seeing the snow melting into a watery grave? Pretty decent though considering I've had snow on the ground since Friday. :p

Going back to mild wet weather will be dull, but inevitable at some point. I don't think i've seen much sunshine this month either!

Posted

I grew up in Devon, where the snow "settled".

I moved to Bristol, where the snow "pitched".

It also "lays" in some places, I think!

In exeter we tend to use the term "melting"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

A cold cloudy windless morning here in NE Hampshire. Snow beginning to

thaw on roofs and paths and bits falling off trees and bushes. Very light snow falling at the moment.

Seems to be some precipitation forming over the channel and moving northwards.

Temp here is +1.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: after the last year not rain rain & more rain!

Odd, still snowing here in exeter. Was forcast light and to die out this am on radio devon's forcast( i only listen when the commute over telegraph hill is at risk!). Nice for the first time in years to have an unexpected upgrade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Still snowing in Weston, light at the moment but it belted it down a while ago with huge flakes.

Posted

Can't get home at the moment as the road down the hill is blocked, waiting for the gritter lorry to clear it

Get yer boots on Cakie and leg it!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Already an early rain warning issued by Met Office on Friday for pretty much all of us.

Edited by George

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Its also like the saying " How b on", i now know what they mean but in the beginning i thought W.T.H are they on about? Also, they say, "what do you know".

Its funny but you get used to it and makes language diverse i guess. One saying i hate by youngsters is the SO saying.,

I.E I`m SO not happy with this or I`m SO going to ....

What happened to I`m REALLY going to.... or I`m really not happy about this..

I think the SO saying came from the friends serious and now is commonly used in language.

(I`d love to go on the show grumpy old men,lol) Bikes, the saddle is so low and knees over there shoulders, they can`t ride like that and end up standing up not using the saddle at all lol.

Trousers literally below the buttocks, weird?? Now all the boys have girl swept over bieber hair styles, whats going on???

Rant over lol, i am actually a happy go lucky person believe it or not although you wouldn`t think so reading this postclapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

I think it's a typo. If you click on link it is a warning for snow.

W COUNTRY "@metofficeSWEng: Yellow Alert of Rain for SW England : Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, Ba... http://t.co/ep88Ajrk"

— Ian Fergusson (@fergieweather)

January 23, 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Went to bed with some heavier flakes falling outside and started to settle on wet surfaces. Was woke up at 7:30am to find that my road which was wet and had nothing settling on before bed had a few cm's of snow again, for the first time since i have lived here ( 12 years) a gritter came down my road and cleared the snow. Cars and pavements have snow still and there is an extra 2-3cm in parts of the garden.. Oh and its snowing still outside, though prob 2/10 on my snow-ometer. clapping.gifdrinks.gifgood.gif