Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

Andy I done a bit of reading of late and quite a lot of people think as we enter feb the chances of snow in southern Britain become less and less as the days go on, but Scotland still good for snow even into March. I know we have had bad weather in feb and it has lasted. I think 1978 was feb (must have been) old 5 nations Wales v Scotland game it started on. and that blizzard lasted on the ground. so why have I been reading that feb isn't so good for snow and cold? I know the nights are getting lighter but cold is cold and if it comes in then winter is still here. that's all I really hope is we have a nice summer as driving around when its raining its clear there is no more room in the ground for this rain and we need some dry weather or there will be much more flooding.

trouble is for the next 30 years we are on a slope of global cooling - this will mean colder snowier winters and cooler wetter summers - generally - not every year and not all the time - but generally!

edit:- mind you saying that their is the added bonus that blocking as a general theme seems to be more prevelant now - which could bode well for the odd summer period - a blocking high in the right place at the right time could actually create a beautifully hot summer period - stopping the atlantic dropping it's rain on us and keeping us dry - so that's something we can hope for

Edited by andymusic

Posted

cheers Andy fingers crossed the wetter summers will not happen as it is quite scary the amount of water that is about right now

Posted

Save that the Article in which that was given so much prominence went on to rebut its own conclusions

all to do with the sun - gone quiet and will be quiet now for some time to come leading to cooling - you'd better believe it - cause it's true! - the sun is the only thing that governs temps on this earth of ours!

Posted

snow next week anyone?

Better than this bloody rain, i cant stand the rain. and what we are having again now is way over the top ha ha, the roads are terrible out there and drains cant take the amount of water and guess what? yes much more tonight. but its going to be sunny tommor so that's good. I saw the weather on tv and they said the weekend could be colder but didn't say anything about snow, bit early yet anyway for them to say about snow. DRY WEATHER WITH LOTS OF SUN PLEASE.

Posted

Better than this bloody rain, i cant stand the rain. and what we are having again now is way over the top ha ha, the roads are terrible out there and drains cant take the amount of water and guess what? yes much more tonight. but its going to be sunny tommor so that's good. I saw the weather on tv and they said the weekend could be colder but didn't say anything about snow, bit early yet anyway for them to say about snow. DRY WEATHER WITH LOTS OF SUN PLEASE.

I can't stand the rain - on my window - Tina Turner - and yes my advise to anyone right now if you want some sunshine - FLY SOUTH lol

Yellow Warning of Rain for Wales

Yellow Warning of Rain for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Wrexham valid from 0005 Tue 29 Jan to 0600 Wed 30 Jan

Yellow Alert of Rain for Wales

Yellow Alert of Rain for Wales : Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Swansea, Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Gwynedd valid from 0005 Fri 01 Feb to 2359 Fri 01 Feb

Yellow Warning of Wind for Wales

Yellow Warning of Wind for Wales : Bridgend, Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan, Caerphilly, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Blaenau Gwent, Carmarthenshire, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Powys, Torfaen, Ceredigion, Gwynedd, Conwy, Isle of Anglesey, Denbighshire, Wrexham & Flintshire valid from 0900 Wed 30 Jan to 1800 Wed 30 Jan

Edited by andymusic

Posted

my rain alarm program is picking up torrential rain for wales

Posted

my rain alarm program is picking up torrential rain for wales

It hasn't stopped all day, absolutely lashing down! I've had a gobful of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

wish me luck.im going to take the dog for a walk in rain and wind that really needs to go away now as the ground cant take anymore, If i'm not back in 45 mins.....................just wait longer!acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

what a walk.what we really need is a few weeks of dry weather.i dont know how much more rain is forecast after today but the amount of water holding on the fields where i have just been is unreal

Posted

Same here garden waterlogged,panel missing out of my greenhouse,Bring back the snow! So what's happening with this weekend? Does anybody know? Where's andy?Andy,are we having snow?

Just one more snow event would be great now!

A northwesterly snow streamer would do me fine now...just give me a night of heavy snow showers and around 6 inches by morning smile.png ill be very happy with this winter then.

This does seem very possible from the models, Also as well as this after today, winds more of a westerly/North Westerly rather than south Westerly, so with High Pressure closer to the south west perhaps a little bit drier as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

This does seem very possible from the models, Also as well as this after today, winds more of a westerly/North Westerly rather than south Westerly, so with High Pressure closer to the south west perhaps a little bit drier as well.

That would be nice, can't remember last time we had a decent northwesterly but when they do deliver they are great here.

That would be nice, can't remember last time we had a decent northwesterly but when they do deliver they are great here.

Last time Was December 2010, in the mid 2000s they seemed common, but not as many since then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Last time Was December 2010, in the mid 2000s they seemed common, but not as many since then.

Yes December 2010 was good I remember very late at night a Pembrokeshire dangler set up and we had some very heavy snow showers, dew points, temperatures and the ground temperature were all very favourable for good accumulations of snow. Quite disappointed with the snow we had last week...yes it was great but if we had the ground temperatures lower we would have had a lot more accumulated snow. Still waiting for a cold, dry, frosty, sunny spell, as you are also waiting for !

Posted

Not convinced for weekends potential, but next week onwards some potential is there.

I reckon that chart posted by Keith would produce some back edge snow for north Wales and high ground in mid & south wales, but it is an extremely marginal situation (for a change ;-)).

Also a poss of snow for the north coast on Saturday but pretty dry otherwise I would think.

As you say potential next week with a NWerly flow, uppers not mega cold but something to look forward to acute.gif :

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The low for Friday is potentially nasty as it tracks across Wales, a very sharp temperature contrast on latest GFS from 11c in S Wales to 0c in Snowdonia at 1500, also a lot of rain, with hill snow for mid and north Wales.

post-2595-0-19857200-1359489470_thumb.pn post-2595-0-01052300-1359489505_thumb.pn

Similar on ECM:

post-2595-0-05536500-1359489646_thumb.pn

Tracks further south on Fax:

post-2595-0-78087100-1359489566_thumb.pn

Edited by TonyH

Posted

What sort of potential,is it like we had last week , or just cold?

looks to me like a lickle bit of cold/snow weather the weekend - friday/saturday - but then major cold will return tuesday/wednesday next week for at least a week!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow thunder

How does everyone rate this winter in terms of cold weather? I think it has just been a winter with cold wintry weather snaps nothing groundbreaking, maybe I'm wrong but I suppose its where you happen to live. I do think that when I was younger during thE 80s we had far more severe winters in terms of snow fall and cold but perhaps that was just my perception at that time?? Basically I think its been 4 out of 10 this year lol in my area only scraped the car of frost 3 or 4 times upto now...