Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

Morning everyone, thought I heard thunder here last night but wasn't sure as the wind was howling as well, didn't see any lightening which is a good thing for me as I'm actually petrified of lightening the chapel not far from my mums was hit when I was quite young and the damage to cars and homes stuck in my mind.

Probably - not too far from you and we had thunder at about 8pm.

To be fair to the Met Office, I'm not sure anyone predicted widespread lightning last night - the SB CAPE was marginal to say the least and LI was positive on the NMM. Probably the effect of warmer air tracking over the sea, hitting the remnants of the cold air over the UK and being forced to rise rapidly? Certainly a wild night out there!

Probably - not too far from you and we had thunder at about 8pm.

To be fair to the Met Office, I'm not sure anyone predicted widespread lightning last night - the SB CAPE was marginal to say the least and LI was positive on the NMM. Probably the effect of warmer air tracking over the sea, hitting the remnants of the cold air over the UK and being forced to rise rapidly? Certainly a wild night out there!

The charts last night showed a sharp contrast between airmass temperatures crossing Wales with high storm motion and a trough, all coming form that monster ~930mb low in the Atlantic so there was always a chance of something severe.

Satellite at 10pm last night, pretty

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Just had a quick bout of hail stones in Cathays, Cardiff - some larger than a £2 coin! Wow!

Posted

hailstones have just hit here and omg they are massive

DITTO

Horendous weather in Wales the past 24 hours or so - came back over storey arms late last night after a James Bond GIG with Liza in Brecon - was concerned a couple of days ago that we were gonna be facing a blizzard last night when this front moved in so I packed my trusty snow shovel just in case - always pays to be prepared I always say - any way gig went brilliantly - everyone dressed looking loike Bond and the women in there money penny cocktail dresses - Liza sang like a dream through her new BOSE pa system - on the way home I was sleeping - but kept one eye open as we went over the top of the beacons - must have been about 1.30am - the rain was gorrendous and winds were even worse than that - there was horrendous flooding too - enough to cause serious aqua planing problems - but we got home safe and sound and I just went straight off to bed - today

massive hail stones with a wintry mix of sleet and snow!

any way - spose you all want to know when the snow's coming back - keep an eye on the 6th FEB - reckon the major cold will return then - so get supplies in etc etc etc check heating etc etc etc - GFS is trending with something form North - North West - around that time - it looks tame right now - but could very well get more severe - and would you believe it - that's the time me and Liza have to go to Blackpool to record some original songs onto video - for Sky Channel 191 - a show called music express - hope we can get there safely - please please please! LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Mad weather here,very windy heavy rain and hail! This year in terms of weather is going to be amazing, snow, thunderstorms and hail, and it hasnt even been a month!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Barring a couple of patches, the snow has completely gone. And in its place...the unwelcome, tiresome, tedious, and depressing sight of floodwater, which has been a pain in the backside to look at since November.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

DITTO

Horendous weather in Wales the past 24 hours or so - came back over storey arms late last night after a James Bond GIG with Liza in Brecon - was concerned a couple of days ago that we were gonna be facing a blizzard last night when this front moved in so I packed my trusty snow shovel just in case - always pays to be prepared I always say - any way gig went brilliantly - everyone dressed looking loike Bond and the women in there money penny cocktail dresses - Liza sang like a dream through her new BOSE pa system - on the way home I was sleeping - but kept one eye open as we went over the top of the beacons - must have been about 1.30am - the rain was gorrendous and winds were even worse than that - there was horrendous flooding too - enough to cause serious aqua planing problems - but we got home safe and sound and I just went straight off to bed - today

any way - spose you all want to know when the snow's coming back - keep an eye on the 6th FEB - reckon the major cold will return then - so get supplies in etc etc etc check heating etc etc etc - GFS is trending with something form North - North West - around that time - it looks tame right now - but could very well get more severe - and would you believe it - that's the time me and Liza have to go to Blackpool to record some original songs onto video - for Sky Channel 191 - a show called music express - hope we can get there safely - please please please! LOL

Sounds like fun .

Glad it's going well for you and Liza.

EVERYBODY TAKE NOTE FOR ANDY HAS SPOKEN.

The leader of forecasting in the Wales forum said the cold will return !!

Will Andy be right yet again ?

Personally I wouldn't mind a very early spring with temps in the mid teens and plenty of currant bun .

Posted

DITTO

no the snow cant come back then have arranged a to go out on the 8th

Posted

no the snow cant come back then have arranged a to go out on the 8th

I dont think its going to snow then, but its going to get colder by that period, normally snow comes after a few days of sustained cold.

Posted

Been out on the bike. Went through a mega squall. Massive hail and very scary winds. Possibly the most extreme weather I can recall ever being out in. All of 5 minutes but it was like something out of Twister.

Posted

Biting cold wind when showers hit, out working today good chance over higher ground could well get some snow, only 6c now feels like -6.Some interesting powerful showers coming in tonight i noticed how showers turned to snow around Dublin.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Horizontal line of heavy showers over Ireland, seems that S.Wales again will be in the firing line again tonight, also a lot of sferics showing within those showers, so we may see more thunderstorms tonight!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Posted

Sounds like fun .

Glad it's going well for you and Liza.

EVERYBODY TAKE NOTE FOR ANDY HAS SPOKEN.

The leader of forecasting in the Wales forum said the cold will return !!

Will Andy be right yet again ?

Personally I wouldn't mind a very early spring with temps in the mid teens and plenty of currant bun .

Right yet again?? Didn't he predict the previous cold spell would last much longer? Oh and then the current mild spill would be very brief? Both wrong lol! I'll stick to forecasts with some evidence.

Posted

Right yet again?? Didn't he predict the previous cold spell would last much longer? Oh and then the current mild spill would be very brief? Both wrong lol! I'll stick to forecasts with some evidence.

Yes I have to add, he does like to ramp things up a bit, and you can tell when he does - "get supplies"- really!?; We dont live in Canada/Siberia! However to give him some credt this mild spell will only be brief, lasting 3/4days before the cold comes back... Edited by Panayiotis

As I said yesterday, I'll trust people who try to provide unbiased forecasts with charts, who have forecasted well this winter and previously.

Rather than Rampers and Wind Up Merchants.

As for Andymusic, he does provide an element of fun, but if the OTT stuff be toned down, everyone on the thread would be happy.

Posted

We had the hail shower earlier and just read on bbc news 24 that there was a 4 car pile up on the m4 near Bridgend not surprised as it was quite intense.

Edited by chubbystuff

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Thundery showers into the BC and Pembs/ Carms now, I am in the firing line here at St Clears!

Posted

when that crazy shower hit today we was by sarn park and my wife said its as if someone is throwing buckets of water and hail over the car,and the wind went mad or a few mins. looking out over Ireland some of them showers look very nasty. we finally got over the bwlch today and its open over to gwynfi as well, even after all this very very heavy rain the snow patches up there are very deep,where the snow had drifted there are patches that are still about 5 ft thick. I didn't have my camera today to take some pics.