Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Output Discussion - 06Z 09/02/13 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

John, That streaming video doesn`t look so bad in N.Y

Tim, don`t agree with those links as M.O has the warning further north that shown by pink hatched areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

UKMO at 96 hrs is alot like this mornings 06z GFS for the same time, and also better than the current 12z GFS

This mornings (06z GFS) Wednesday 13:00 hrs

gfsnh-2013020906-0-102.png?6

Current UKMO for same time

UN96-21.GIF?09-17

More energy heading south eastwards on the UKMO than the 12z, yet still not quite as good as the 06z GFS as the block is not as strong to our NE and there isnt that small depression in the atlantic causing energy to dive SE over us.

Edited by -eded-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

I don`t think i have ever seen such a mild set of siberian winds around a high pressure in this coldest part of the winter, really is astounding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

gfs not as progrssive as the 06z, but next few frames i guess to show a lovely eagle looking west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Timelapse of snowfall in new England. Sorry for cross post but sure people will enjoy.

Posted

gfs not as progrssive as the 06z, but next few frames i guess to show a lovely eagle looking west

Nailed it!

gfsnh-0-132.png?12

There is still a sign of more energy going under the block this week, 06z evolution was perfectly reasonable, just got to see if this trend continues over the next few runs i guess!

Posted

So far so god from GFS. Not as good as 06z but better than yesterday's 12z. More snow than rain on weds. Wouldn't take much tweaking to make it another good snow event

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=102&mode=2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I am very happy with the Met Office's Longer range update today, the wording suggests to me that they don't think Winter will be done with us just yet.

So for those who are going to miss out over the next 3-4 days (And I believe personally that there will be many of us who do miss out), it looks like there may just well be one final bite at the cherry at the end of the month.

The latest GFS run has everything slightly further East again, leading to the snow line moving back East with it, and slightly further North, looks to me like the midlands are well positioned for this, along with parts of the East.

You have to feel sorry for those in the South West this Winter,they seem to be always on the wrong side of marginal.

I doubt that many in the SE that see snow falling, will see it settling, which is almost as bad as seeing an all rain event, which is likely for my area.

both the UKMO and the GFS are signing from the same song sheet now as regards to the middle part of next week onward which is for an area of Low pressure to move the Scandi High out of the way , meaning a period of Rain with temporary leading edge snow on Thursday, there after it's open to debate IMO with a range of possibilities.

UKMO Midday Wed

UW96-21.GIF?09-17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Heights building nicely into Greenland here on GFS 12z. Where is the low to our south west going to go? Maybe aid greenland heights even more.

Posted

UKMO @ 120

UN120-21.GIF?09-17

Nothing like the GFS for same time period!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

UKMO @ 120

UN120-21.GIF?09-17

Nothing like the GFS for same time period!

It continues though from the adjustment theme mentioned earlier wrt the changes within t72 and the block to the NE being that bit stronger. T120 gives time for further adjustment and trough disruption further west than we see here. Quite encouraging imogood.gif

Posted

Where'd ya go mr jet stream?!

gfsnh-5-168.png?12

Edit: Yes Tamara Road - All positive trends.

Edited by -eded-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Height's continue to push up into Greenland at 168 on GFS. A persisting trend maybe?

gfs-0-168.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Here comes the undercut on GFS, hope it shows in hi-res before GFS goes nuts in low res. Heights into Greenland, a good run again so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

lets hope this evenings GFS is right for a change i know its a big ask but for once it might be on the money if we go down the road of the UKMO well i hate to say it but we might as well look forward to spring.one possitive is atleast the GFS and ECM look similer at +144h so not all over just yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Just us? I will take that!

post-17320-0-57636300-1360427777_thumb.p

Posted

Models still struggling to resolve the lack of atlantic jet. I guess its understandable seeing as they've had no practice this winter!

You can just tell when it all goes slack and directionless that its doubtful the run has the detail, though it may be sniffing the new lonwave pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

Models still struggling to resolve the lack of atlantic jet. I guess its understandable seeing as they've had no practice this winter!

You can just tell when it all goes slack and directionless that its doubtful the run has the detail, though it may be sniffing the new lonwave pattern.

Unfortunately your probably right BA about them clueless shame though I would love the 12 GFS to verify

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

And, the models are saying what?good.gif

The Gfs 12z is saying, cold first half of next week, a fairly brief atlantic disruped intelude followed by stronger cold blocking throughout FI, almost as amazing as the 6z in FI. Hopefully a new trend but today the meto 6-15 day sounds like a return to normal, they are bullish about it too, but the way I see the gfs 12z is there is no real atlantic attack as such, just the midweek mexican standoff but nothing to follow it and push the block back, as soon as the atlantic begins to look more benign again, the cold block gathers strength and floods the uk with more cold air and widespread severe frosts with snow risk again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter plus Summer.

Great Run GFS 06z en also now GFS 12z , i am full convinced at basis from that CFS , CMA Cptec, en another factors that we are up to something really big , perhaps later in the month or march a kind of little nemo ?For West Europa..

The real cold was very long time closed locked up near the sea of Kara [ NW Russia].It want to rolle out.

End for this reason i had a totally different vision than the other masters ,they said the MJO fase would by his 3e fase sligtht down , they had only expected on the MJO forecast that there would be warming up around the 10 -13 februari, en they granted that most likely.But i didnt think so. I think we are in for a big surprise. Let wait now ECMWF or CMA ens als JMA .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Definitely a new "theme" being played with by the GFS in the mid range today, positive, and something to keep us interested.

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

GEM 12Z has UK in an Easterly flow at 144h with some deeper cold brewing to the East...

gem-0-144.png?12

gem-1-144.png?12