Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 09/03/13 18z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Patchy cover here snow flurries in the wind and no ice from the walk back from the pub....

Interestingly the front doesn't seem to have made much progress south only just to the south of us at the time of posting.

Bit of activity to the North so it's going to be a day of radar watching after seeing your mum.

Posted

Decent snow shower here in Scarborough now. Very dry snow blowing about but settling nicely.

It's very nice not having to worry about marginality for once!

Keep em coming :)

Posted

Decent snow shower here in Scarborough now. Very dry snow blowing about but settling nicely.

It's very nice not having to worry about marginality for once!

Keep em coming smile.png

Right on the bottom edge of that but looks even heavier further North. There was a dusting on the roofs when I got up earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Anybody get any measurable snow overnight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

When should we see the heavy stuff?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Quite strange overnight here as Reef has already said: temperatures actually rose in the early hours but then fell beginning at 08:15 this morning along with a precipitous drop in the DP as well. There was also a drop in the latter of 1.2°C just after 4 am this morning too for which I don't have an explanation.

Anyway went for a walk with the dogs around an hour ago on the Westwood and the sun finally came out. There is a massive bank of cloud to the south and east which is finally moving away which I assume is the back edge of the front. There were also a few snowflakes in the wind earlier before that cleared.

It would appear to me eyes that the front passed at the surface around 08:15 this morning with the backward-arching cloud shield finally leaving here around an hour ago. This is much slower than expected so I am wondering now whether the showers will also be delayed although it was good to hear they have reached Scarborough. I cannot see anything out the window though.

Anyway now that the sun is out the temp is rising rapidly and my station always over-reads in these type of situations, sadly. It is now up to 3.4°C with a DP of -3°C. I am happy with the latter figure as it has been steady for a couple of hours now, however, I reckon the temp is about a degree or so too high.

Interesting last hurrah for winter this year? Who knows........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Latest bbc forecast looked interesting for Hull to say the least, from later tonight to later tomorrow hull appeared to be under a constant stream of snow showers.

Given convection is prone to being underestimated, (I'm not saying we will see anything as brilliant as December 2010 though this was underestimated too) some areas could see some decent falls, provided the snow can stick.

The ground here is saturated due to yesterdays soaking but the snow from these showers should be the really big sort of flakes so it could lay quite easily. We shall see :)

Posted

Shower activity is showing signs of intensification over Lincolnshire and moving westwards. They should reach southern Pennine areas in the next couple of hours.

Karyo

Posted

Winds really picking up here with being on a slight hill facing east!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers have mainly been to the north of here so far, rather like in the late-February easterly when inland parts of Tyne and Wear briefly got a fair amount of snow. One or two flurries, but I might have to wait a while for anything significant. Temperature is dropping, currently 2.6 following a high of 3.4.

Posted

On radar Scotland is getting a lot of showers now and if that develops over Yorkshire then snow amounts may well be underestimated!!!. With that wind being strong it will push the showers well inland. Humber streamer setup tonight? Maybe :)

Posted

Fun and games should start in the next two hours looking at sat 24!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Fun and games should start in the next two hours looking at sat 24!

Indeed..

5d9ab56ca763440295bc6fa.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Indeed..

5d9ab56ca763440295bc6fa.png

That looks good for our region and they should be a bit more zip in them clouds as they close in on coast.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Woke up to 3cm on the wheelie bin, very light fine snow until an hour ago and now the suns shining through. Theres a slow melt with icicles forming, its bloody cold

and the wind picking up is making it feel colder.

Nice to wake up to a winter wonderland with full snow cover, even the road got a covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

Awww as much as i love the snow i am torn on one hand i want lots...but at the same time i want none its mi lil lads nursery trip in morning to yorkshire wildlife park in donny and he well excited..dnt want him to be let down

Posted

Looks like the snow showers are hitting the usual areas at the moment, eastern scotland and north eastern england. Strange how there always seems to be a gap in the showers once you go as far south as yorkshire (Happened a lot in the 2010 winter.) But as Aaron says, those showers out to the east should have our name on later, I wouldn't be suprised with totals exceeding 10cm in a few places.

Posted

Looks like the snow showers are hitting the usual areas at the moment, eastern scotland and north eastern england. Strange how there always seems to be a gap in the showers once you go as far south as yorkshire (Happened a lot in the 2010 winter.) But as Aaron says, those showers out to the east should have our name on later, I wouldn't be suprised with totals exceeding 10cm in a few places.

Already the first snow showers are approaching the Yorkshire coast so this dry slot is coming to an end soon.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Channel lows don't affect areas this far north, they would cease to be Channel lows!

Posted

The showers from Lincolnshire appear to have moved over the Sheffield area!

Further showers are now affecting the east coast.

Karyo