Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 10/03/13 09z ------>

A.J

Posted

It will be interesting to see the conditions later tonight and tomorrow as the BBC forecasts are only going for snow on high ground with "mainly rain" at lower levels in Scotland (Nina Ridge at 9pm)

Posted

Not as good as Embra but did OK out of yesterday. Back garden still covered, but sun did some damage to the front.

Some amazing showers came through late yesterday afternoon...

After a good start the sun melted most during the day

post-2849-0-50161000-1363037424_thumb.jp

Then the showers pepped up

post-2849-0-00527600-1363037420_thumb.jp

Another brute of a shower before dark

post-2849-0-72146000-1363037399_thumb.jp

Morning glory with buzzard looking fir breakfast.

post-2849-0-16017200-1363037392_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

i know i keep showing this model but its cos it keeps showing the best looking charts.

thats low pressure to our north has started its journey right across at the pacific and came over the pole to sit where it is now like it does on other models aswell and the low pressure over us on this model is still moving southeast till the end of the run.

now it would be really snowy if that low pressure was to drop down over the top of us.

post-18233-0-04574100-1363036291_thumb.ppost-18233-0-77792100-1363036299_thumb.p

the whole run is here

http://www.meteociel...rte=1&archive=0

Perfect synoptics there BUS, very similar to both December 2009 and December 2010. On the ground it would be a bit different because of the sunlight but certainly opportunities for a continuation of cold and snow for a while yet. If we can get a cold trough setup and avoid any warmth until at least the very end of the month a sub 3C month would be odds on, sub 2C still a possibility. 2001 and 2006 at 2C and 2.1C respectively are good markers and it would take a lot to beat either the sheer persistence of cold in 2006 or the depth of minima in early March 2001. -12C possible again tonight though around Braemar/Aviemore, sub zero almost everywhere except the far north, temperatures tomorrow maxing out around 2-5C. A similar story for the rest of the week probably, though with slightly less harsh frosts at times and more of a return to normality with the north seeing the coldest temperatures.

If the NASA comes off we'd avoid seeing any rise in temperature on Friday with an all snow event for western and central Scotland, very harsh frost Friday night and then perhaps an easterly coming in over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It will be interesting to see the conditions later tonight and tomorrow as the BBC forecasts are only going for snow on high ground with "mainly rain" at lower levels in Scotland (Nina Ridge at 9pm)

Evidence of a warmer sector aroudn at lower levels for a time through the day but overnight I reckon it'll hold as snow in the north:

13031215_1112.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clear here at -3C. The light snow showers died out after lunch as the wind went more North Easterly again. Not that much snow melt even in the sun except on roofs . Snow still lying on the open football pitches at Riverside for example at around sea level. Max temp in my garden was 1.1C briefly in the early afternoon.

Heading for the coldest night of 2013 I expect though only have to beat last night's -4.0C. A couple of degrees colder to beat the best of the Winter.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Perfect synoptics there BUS, very similar to both December 2009 and December 2010. On the ground it would be a bit different because of the sunlight but certainly opportunities for a continuation of cold and snow for a while yet. If we can get a cold trough setup and avoid any warmth until at least the very end of the month a sub 3C month would be odds on, sub 2C still a possibility. 2001 and 2006 at 2C and 2.1C respectively are good markers and it would take a lot to beat either the sheer persistence of cold in 2006 or the depth of minima in early March 2001. -12C possible again tonight though around Braemar/Aviemore, sub zero almost everywhere except the far north, temperatures tomorrow maxing out around 2-5C. A similar story for the rest of the week probably, though with slightly less harsh frosts at times and more of a return to normality with the north seeing the coldest temperatures.

If the NASA comes off we'd avoid seeing any rise in temperature on Friday with an all snow event for western and central Scotland, very harsh frost Friday night and then perhaps an easterly coming in over the weekend.

yeah its ashame all this wasnt six weeks ago we would be in dreamland now its just likely to all be snow at night and lucky if it doesnt all melt during the day but any snow is good snow

Posted

Young Mr.Northernlights was late home from his job tonight having assisted a lady whose car had become entwined in a fence in notorious frost hollow on one of the side roads where snow and ice had persisted all day and I think she had been going a little to fast when she hit it. Do not know if council had put any salt on but other clear parts of the road seemed to show dried salt deposits.Must have been really cold at ground level. Car has quite a bit of cosmetic damage inculding a smashed windscreen. Currently -6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

BBC forecast just there sticking with a warm sector coming in towards the end of the week then wet over the country. Where is the low going to go and will we be on the cold side?

Posted

The nearest destination to me my phone can get is showing a very chilly -8 outside apparently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

They weren't clear were they... The front seemed to grind to a halt over Scotland...but its 3 days out from here so I suspect they're hedging their bets. As usual ;-)

BBC forecast just there sticking with a warm sector coming in towards the end of the week then wet over the country. Where is the low going to go and will we be on the cold side?

Posted

They weren't clear were they... The front seemed to grind to a halt over Scotland...but its 3 days out from here so I suspect they're hedging their bets. As usual ;-)

In fairness I think I'm going to pass on calling this one. If I had to choose I'd say we're more likely to see the troughing moved further south and maybe a bit further east than is showing on the current output but while the easterly looked a stick on for snow this is a rather more difficult matter. The time of day any frontal stuff moves in will be vital too, ideally sometime around 2-3am starting would give enough hours of darkness for snow to initially settle but enough time also for temperatures to drop away like in March 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Should shot that buzzard and sold it as horse meat.

Lol. I was about to post something along the lines of, 'smashing picture, Scotland shows that wildlife lives with people', but your post is better. Perhaps turkey tho.tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Dp - 9.8 c. Brrr ..how low is it going to go?post-18260-0-13910000-1363045300_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another one from a couple of weeks back...

Again, the unexpurgated version here:

I have an odd connection on days like these to a song that really doesn't belong: Days of Pearly Spencer

Now why is this, I ask.

Posted

Great to see all the reports of the snow in eastern parts of the country in what has been a very decent spell of winter weather and it's all the more significant for the fact that it's not just March but close to mid-March. Here, well, much of the snow cover has gone except in the shaded areas with the strength of the sun. Some snow flurries here but today could have been the last of the snow for the season. Went on a drive around the Trossachs earlier and everything looked and felt like the depths of winter except the time/length of daylight. Maximum temperature only 3C at Glasgow airport which is one of the coldest maximum values for March in many years - only March 2001 had a colder maximum value of 2C. Tonight should see the temperature drop to below -5C in many areas - and it could be the last sub -5C night for some time in a few areas. In some spots in the highlands, another night of sub -10C minima is possible and this can only bode well for a cold looking mean temperature for the month. Potentially the coldest temperature of the season could be recorded somewhere tonight! The cold, wintry theme should continue for a while but the last the weather of the past few days and tonight may be the last of the significant winter weather until next season.

Posted

Temperature of -7C at Glasgow airport. -8C is the coldest of the winter, -9C in 2001 was the coldest March temperature and the last tme -10C was recorded at Glasgow airport was Boxing Day 2010!

Posted

Coldest temperature of the winter looks set to be broken in the central belt, but unfortunately I believe it's an unofficial station.

West Calder, which previous was an MO recording station and has previous surpassed -24C, is sitting at -11C with similar temperatures in the West Lothian-Lanarkshire area - -9C Symington, -8C Netherton, -8C Bathgate and -7C at Edinburgh Airport.

Correction - the station in question which got below -24C was West Linton, not West Calder.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye. Embra airport now reporting -8C.

From watching these low-minima situations before, its surprising (or not) how non-linear any temperature drop can be. Even when overhead and wind conditions are favourable, it very often seems to stall and flatten out - or even increase again.

However, if it does get down to -10C there, thats a very cold night for March (probably not a record though)

Coldest temperature of the winter looks set to be broken in the central belt, but unfortunately I believe it's an unofficial station.

West Calder, which previous was an MO recording station and has previous surpassed -24C, is sitting at -11C with similar temperatures in the West Lothian-Lanarkshire area - -9C Symington, -8C Netherton, -8C Bathgate and -7C at Edinburgh Airport.

Correction - the station in question which got below -24C was West Linton, not West Calder.

Posted

Cracking morning. -7c overnight. Not lost any snow cover. Roads in estate are lethal. Compacted polished snow.

Very light snow here this morning despite nothing showing on radar.

The weekend could be very interesting, LS has the right idea by not calling anything :good: Any forecaster is going to have a nightmare, some places will get snow unexpectedly and other will be expecting snow and will get nothing. Winter is not quite done and the fat lady has gone back to her dressing room, for now.