Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 10/03/13 09z ------>

A.J

Posted

Just measured 5 to 6 inches of snow on the grass which has drifted upto about 8 inches. Currently on the train which is creating awhite snow cloud as it moves because the snow is so dry!

Posted

Just back from nursery run. Some serious ass hats on the roads! No consideration for anyone but themselves!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Also a lack of gritting, it seems - just had phonecall from inexperienced, worried, young-driver relative in East Lothian; A1 not been gritted, it seems, and she says "loads of crashes".

How did they manage not to grit the A1??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. A beautiful one it is too! Currently -2.9oc after an overnight low of -4.8oc with a NNE wind and a dew point of -6.9oc. Couple of inches outside of lovely dry powdery snow and still flurrying away.post-1989-0-29598100-1362992016.txt

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The North Easterly element means we are just missing the showers this morning. Can see them out to sea. Nevertheless a beautiful cold snow covered morning. More of this please. Currently sunny with clouds out to the East and South. Fresh North Easterly. -3.4C

Posted

Also a lack of gritting, it seems - just had phonecall from inexperienced, worried, young-driver relative in East Lothian; A1 not been gritted, it seems, and she says "loads of crashes".

How did they manage not to grit the A1??

M90 and A92 not been done either. Apparently crashes everywhere and contra flow from kelty to Dunfermline a mess with cones all over the place!! Kids bus came and got them to school ok. Seems the back roads have been ploughed.

Can see snow heading my way!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A92 at Glenrothes a mess too, snow settling easily on the road with lanes completely covered at points.

If we had just a few days like this each winter I'd be a very happy man.

Not long back from an interesting drive to drop Mrs Catch off at work. Cars in ditches, other drivers looking like they would end up in ditches.

As for comments about roads not being gritted, our road was gritted a couple of hours ago but the air temp was so low it hasn't had much if any effect yet. Other roads softening up quickly now the air temp has risen a little and the traffic has increased. So the roads may have been gritted but without much impact.

Posted

T is -1.9 here at the moment, a very decent covering for us. I can see another dark cloud looming for a bit of a top up!

Horizontal snaw now clapping.gif

Edited by Poots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

From reports on Twitter, sounds like the A1 is a right old mess this morning. 1 hour delays from here to edinburgh! Shame as I'm heading that way in under an hour.

Heavy snow shower just went through, temp 0.1C, dew -1.8C

Posted

From reports on Twitter, sounds like the A1 is a right old mess this morning. 1 hour delays from here to edinburgh! Shame as I'm heading that way in under an hour.

Heavy snow shower just went through, temp 0.1C, dew -1.8C

Many thanks for that - just spoke to nervous young-driver, telling her what you said about one-hour delays, and since her friends can email her their phone-recording of the lecture, and her friend can hand-in her essay for her, and since she's never driven in snow and is very anxious about it, she's decided not to try to make the journey. Sensible lass :)

Posted

A nice blizzard now in Edinburgh. Seems to have brought parts of Edinburgh to a standstill !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Snaw showers very heavy here and the flakes are birling around in the wind. Roads are quiet & I'm not sure that we've seen a gritter yet, either. The gritting budget must have been diverted to those tram* things...

Here are a few snaps of this morning's snaw, including an out of focus artistic shot out the back. Braw weather!

post-6412-0-07136000-1362995584_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-20732100-1362995599_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-51671200-1362995620_thumb.jp

* a theoretical public transport alternative devised and developed in Edinburgh.

Many thanks for that - just spoke to nervous young-driver, telling her what you said about one-hour delays, and since her friends can email her their phone-recording of the lecture, and her friend can hand-in her essay for her, and since she's never driven in snow and is very anxious about it, she's decided not to try to make the journey. Sensible lass smile.png

If you're anxious about driving in snow then you shouldn't drive in it; I am not getting at your relative or anyone else, just stating a fact. Mrs Catch has said she is nervous about driving home this afternoon so if the roads are still bad she will be getting told not to drive, she will have to wait for a lift at ten. The last thing you need in these conditions is to be twitchy. There were some absolute muppets out there this morning, tailgating very close behind me when I was driving. I felt like stopping and going back "for a word" with one of them. Driving like that could make a nervous driver make a mistake or drive too fast. Some people shouldn't have a driving licence and it isn't the people driving at 20mph on a completely white-over road (i.e. me!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Continuing this mornings theme with a glorious morning here too. It was a sunny -8 degC in Kemnay at 8:45am this morning when taking the youngster to school. Snow cover from yesterday is holding up well and is still powdery despite the sun. It was kind of weird stood in the school playground, snow all around, obvious chill in the air, hat and gloves on, but my back roasting due to the sun beating down on it!

Roads up here are fine, with the exception of the housing estates where yesterdays melting snow has re-frozen. Only a dusting overnight, just enough to cover any paths that had been cleared.

Posted

It's still sunny but will it last? (encouraged by the edinburgh reports I admit) The snow has surprisingly not melted that much which is surprising

Posted

If you're anxious about driving in snow then you shouldn't drive in it; I am not getting at your relative or anyone else, just stating a fact.

Too damn right. One parent and I are getting a lift later from the other parent, but that's a short journey within Embra, and both my parents learnt to drive in Pennsylvania in winter in a huge unwieldy old Caddillac in the early 60s, so they are extremely good snow-drivers and well aware of how idiotic many other drivers can be...

I'm pleased with relative - she's young, but she's weighed up the risks and decided this just is not "essential journey" so she is staying home.