Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 10/03/13 09z ------>

A.J

Posted

The 12z ECM ensemble means have most of Scotland under the -5c isotherm for the entirety of the run!

Spring you say?

Posted

Yeah snow shower looks like hitting Edinburgh in the next 10 mins. Might even get through by-tor's snow shield in Leith !

That one settled everywhere quickly, Shame it was over in 5 mins, lets hope we can get a few more as looks cold enough on the surface now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Incoming Tim in next ten minutes, roger out.

False alarm Tim wind has now backed NE - NNE so showers are missing Perth just like earlier this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The next 10-14 days really do look cold and -14c uppers is quite remarkable. -1.0c/-4.5c.

post-9135-0-20799900-1362948146_thumb.pn

Not a single perturbation above 0C uppers until the 21st of March. That's utterly schmental.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Dense whirling mist of fine white powdery stuff out there - coming in at 45-degree angles mostly, except when it's horizontal...

Oh.

Ok, and except when it's going vertically upwards for minutes on end, it seems.

Does snow not fall downwards any more?

Posted

I have run out of superlatives of the Blizzard we had half an hour ago !!!!! It Looks like the North Pole on a snowy day !!! Clouds of fine drifting snow reducing visibility to 50 yards or so ..... Incredible !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Oh.

Ok, and except when it's going vertically upwards for minutes on end, it seems.

Does snow not fall downwards any more?

No, it swirls like a skirt at the ball, getting us all ever more excited...wub.png god I should know better at my age...

Interesting to run back and forwards on the radar - the last heavy shower for here was but a whisper on the radar in the firth about 30 mins earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

No, it swirls like a kilt at the ceilidh, getting us all ever more excited...wub.png god I should know better at my age...

Fixed that for ya! :D

Posted

I have run out of superlatives of the Blizzard we had half an hour ago !!!!! It Looks like the North Pole on a snowy day !!! Clouds of fine drifting snow reducing visibility to 50 yards or so ..... Incredible !!!!

I was outside when that came on, cars were basically at a standstill and so was I- I couldn't walk forward because of the wind and snow. Don't recall ever seeing such poor visibility like that before in a snow shower.

Edited by Sawel

Posted

Fantastic blizzard here. Not often that it's -2°c with heavy snow, but to have it in March is quite something! Radar looks good, although the showers in the North Sea could do with a slightly more westerly component. The Lothians are the place to be tonight!

Posted

Yeah it looks wild outside with the wind sweeping the snow down our street. Not often you can use the word blizzard but at times that's exactly what we're getting.

Posted

Really nice cover building up. Horizontal snow, big flakes now. Easing now but more to come!

Posted

Fantastic blizzard here. Not often that it's -2°c with heavy snow, but to have it in March is quite something! Radar looks good, although the showers in the North Sea could do with a slightly more westerly component. The Lothians are the place to be tonight!

I can see it approaching. 2 whiteouts earlier have left us with a nice crisp 1" layer ready for more, lots more.

Posted

All clear here at the moment... can even see stars :) However, the covering from earlier is still firmly in place, even on the roads...

Fingers crossed it's not the end... :)

Tim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Fixed it for SS, although swirling kilts don't quite do it for me unfortunately...blum.gif

Charles seems keen...wink.png

Highland-dancers.jpg

Good 1cm of lying snow here. Starting to build up something of a cover. Nice. -2.0 C.

EDIT. Windy too. Annoying thing is, we have a slate that rattles just at the bedroom window, but only in an E wind. Of course never got around to fixing it as E winds are rare. Hmph.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Well the winter record has fallen. -4.2C here just now, which is 0.1C lower than it got in January and is I think the lowest temperature here since December 2010!

Posted

Just come backl from a trip from my relatives in Fife. Some snow cover during the afternoon on the hills and around Powmill. Nothing much around Falkland to begin with and spent much of the afternoon and evening with a super view of Fife, East Lomond and Edinburgh. It was stunning to see the snow showers crossing over, some were pretty heavy and few impressive cumulonimbus clouds funneling down the Forth. Bitterly cold on the hill on a very wintry evening There was more snow in lowland Fife during the way back and some pretty tricky driving conditions on the mate. I was very surprised to see that there was a very similar, if not better covering of snow around Glasgow than there was back in Fife. Here, there is a cm of snow and everything is white and sparkling. That's probably the fourth decent lying snow event of the winter and possibly the best day for snow here since March 2006! Anyway it's delightful to see this sort of very wintry and cold weather in March. Looking forward to a cold night and to hearing reports of the winter weather across the country!

Posted

Incoming late pmpost-2744-0-25954700-1362951035_thumb.jp

Another heavy shower late pm reminiscent of November 2010post-2744-0-79085100-1362950995_thumb.jp

Snowy neepspost-2744-0-62950800-1362950956_thumb.jp

Wintry sunset over Hairy Celtpost-2744-0-47938800-1362950914_thumb.jp

Current statuspost-2744-0-22827700-1362950884_thumb.jp and already -3c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye PS, snowshield was well and truly busted !

Yeah snow shower looks like hitting Edinburgh in the next 10 mins. Might even get through by-tor's snow shield in Leith !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

As often happens in an ENE type setup, we have two main shower tracks running, one Dundee/north Fife - Perth-Stirling, and the other one east neuk-Edinburgh-West Lothian-Glasgow. It looks to me like the south line will hit next followed by a north line, though perhaps with these merging to form a kind of super stream through Fife.