Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 10/03/13 09z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

ah well cars on hold till monday not one scrappy in scotland would sell me a second hand catalytic converter what a bunch of c**ts

Posted

The story of the winter here, listening to the rest of the civilized world getting a pasting while here it's cold, grey & dry.

I thought us North of the border were mere Goat Herders??? rofl.gif

Spare room at the inn if you need to see the good stuff again. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

LS do you reckon next weeks Easterly set up will be better than last Monday, or something similar ??

I doubt it'll be quite as good simply because the uppers aren't going to be as extreme, but in some respects it could be better - total depths for example could be greater for many because it looks to be initially frontal rather than convectional. It won't have that same Arctic feel about it. Maxima could end up similar though if we see it snowing all day Tuesday because on Monday we had a bit of sunshine which dramatically raised the temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow on here, making a bit of an impression on the grass but seems to be clearing gradually.

Posted

ECM ppn charts from monday luchtime into tuesday have good ppn about

post-18233-0-67614200-1363443452_thumb.ppost-18233-0-06109200-1363443458_thumb.ppost-18233-0-94450400-1363443462_thumb.ppost-18233-0-22413600-1363443474_thumb.ppost-18233-0-95514400-1363443487_thumb.ppost-18233-0-24572600-1363443480_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Honking honking day here. Persistant drippy sleet over the last few hours in Leith, cars covered in grey slush at various points but easing off now. Just yeuch.

Posted

The worst about rain to snow events is the descent into slush and snizzle! Really mucky out there now!

Posted

liking the CFS run apart from a brief warm up at beginning of april it keeps us in atleast cool conditions if not snowy conditions till the 24th april if only it was a reliable model lol

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I thought us North of the border were mere Goat Herders??? rofl.gif

Spare room at the inn if you need to see the good stuff again. good.gif

Hey, who said goat-herders aren't civilized? We have music (well, someone was howling in the street last night), literature (does irvine welsh countunsure.png ?) and visual arts (pavement pizzas and arpeggio'd doggy droppings abound)...

Looking forward in hope (more desperation) for the coming week to deliver something....

Posted

Starting to lie on the grass here now too - big flakes coming down at a fair rate for a good while now.

Much more impressive down at Symington (near Lanark) though:

jpgwebcam.jpg?1363444415029

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

liking the CFS run apart from a brief warm up at beginning of april it keeps us in atleast cool conditions if not snowy conditions till the 24th april if only it was a reliable model lol

http://www.meteociel...cfse_cartes.php

You won't like that when NL tells you what that'll mean for food prices.nea.gif

Posted

Yeah, I do feel for NL, if this continues into April it will likely be one of the coldest springs on record and things could get really quite bad if there's still lying snow up there late April.

Posted

i'm ok i'm on a diet just now lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Cold rain here unfortunately. If I could see the hills, am pretty sure the snawline would be right down them, but as they're wearing the clouds, nae joy to be had there.

2.4ºC/2ºC and the rugby to look forward to this arvo.

This neverending winter is looking good for a few more days yet.

Reminds me more and more of the winters of the 1980s - more to come in the years ahead, judging by how quiet the sun continues to be?

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/6/3/034004/pdf/1748-9326_6_3_034004.pdf

Posted

Drying up here, temp up to 6c.

Posted

i'll take cold and snow over food any day and lets face it theres a fair few around our great country that could do with eating a bit less food

Posted

just driven through from glasgow. biggest flakes. ive ever seen. everything white. what makes a flake so large?

i might be wrong but i think it is to do with the uppers not being so cold which means the snow is wetter and stickier that makes it easier for flakes to stick together.

like i said i might be wrong so dont take that as gospel

Posted

No snow here so far with light rain throughout the morning but it could still change. The fine lines between rain and snow from region to region never ceases to perplex.

Posted

thanks for that. glasgow was sleet. headed out og glasgow started snowing so by time we got to harthill it was very heavy snow and traffic starting to crawl. then back to sleet in edinburgh

Posted

we could be in for a special snowfall in a few days if the progged ppn is correct and everything else plays ball which it looks like it should do

Posted

A word of warning - don't expect to wake up with piles of snow on Tuesday morning if you live near the east coast. Uppers as currently progged only hit -8C widely by Tuesday morning itself, and with potentially a lack of a clearing on Monday evening temperatures could take a while to make their way down. However, that's not to say it will necessarily be a failure - the northerly tilt to the wind direction combined with the intensity of the precipitation are likely to lead to at least some settling snow for low levels from midnight onwards, and a very slightly faster movement southwestwards of the cold air could easily make it a very snowy morning for all, but at the moment I'd say the further north, and the more elevated/ inland you are the better your chances. After that We look set to be in for at least 3 days of anything falling being snow, with either a big frontal event from the SSE as BUS alluded to or a prolonged sunshine and snow showers easterly. Hints of shortwave development and kinks in the flow Wednesday and Thursday too, so it would not surprise me to see multiple big snowfalls over the next 7-10 days.

Posted

NAE 12z for monday afternoon when the colder air will be starting to feed in and hopefully we might see a bit more of that turn pink between now and then

post-18233-0-71654300-1363448203_thumb.g