Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 10/03/13 09z ------>

A.J

Posted

Dreich November day here and rain has been on for a couple of hours. Currently 3c With reference to the posts above the unusual weather of last year is still catching up with farming. Got an e mail from our grain group with a warning that nearly all seed barley in Scotland is infected with fusarium and microdochium at the highest levels ever seen because of the very wet season last year. Even potent fungicide seed treatments may not work so increased seed rates have been recommended to allow for seedling loss and only sow into warm dry seedbeds(!!!!!!?) This is shaping up to be a difficult year already. Full article can also be seen on The Scottish Farmers website

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

850's, dewpoints and thickness all going in the right direction at that time

post-18233-0-17249800-1363448467_thumb.gpost-18233-0-30806400-1363448486_thumb.gpost-18233-0-86230200-1363448493_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

850's, dewpoints and thickness all going in the right direction at that time

post-18233-0-17249800-1363448467_thumb.gpost-18233-0-30806400-1363448486_thumb.gpost-18233-0-86230200-1363448493_thumb.g

Now that's very encouraging. If the uppers profile progged verifies we won't have to worry too much about marginality

Monday night onwards.

Posted

Now that's very encouraging. If the uppers profile progged verifies we won't have to worry too much about marginality

Monday night onwards.

i know its looking good and with most models predicting the heaviest ppn to come over night monday and into tuesday there could be alot of fun to be had and a fair few folk not getting into work

Posted

both GFS and UKMO 12z bring a nice tightening of the isobars and prob a feature with it into the east monday night

GFS

post-18233-0-52065100-1363449312_thumb.ppost-18233-0-50414900-1363449320_thumb.ppost-18233-0-95724900-1363449326_thumb.p

UKMO

post-18233-0-71342700-1363449341_thumb.gpost-18233-0-37640200-1363449355_thumb.g

Posted

u know we're in for something a bit special when the GFS keeps firing out cold runs like it has been cos as we have seen all winter the GFS usually always goes back to zonal in FI.

Posted

i know this will just be being greedy but i really want snowfall in april aswell then it would be snow here in december, january, february, march and april.

bet it would have been a good few winters since we have seen anything like that happen.

Posted

Spring - we want spring. Sunshine and warmth. A truly horrible day here of icy sleet. Urgh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye, the kind of day nobody wants. Right on cue though, the sun just showing through here in a break in the clouds. Now that's just extracting the proverbial urine !

Spring - we want spring. Sunshine and warmth. A truly horrible day here of icy sleet. Urgh.

Posted

I know I have been a bit of a grumpy old farmer but since last autumn I have said to anyone who would listen that the bizarre weather of late spring and early summer last year would be felt all the way into this year. Instead of being in oversupply food in the developed world both in the northern and southern hemisphere(my factor has just come back from a six week break in New Zealand and confirmed that drought was becoming a serious issue there just now) is going to be in short supply if these extreme weather patterns persist

We are already having our quota of cattle feed deliveries cut by 20% because they are running out of ingredients.(normally have a minimum delivery tonnage but that's been cut by 20% too) I am also fairly certain that supplies of other staple commodities are low but that news of this is being managed.

Picked up young Mr. Northernlights car from the garage this morning after its M.O.T. Was asked for a forecast and cheered them up by saying that they may have a bit more time to clear the last of their winter tyres and 4X4s. Might be a while before they could sell any open top cars though.

On a different tack all five farm cats are hugging the rayburn as I type.They are also jumping up onto anyones lap and curling up today, not usual behaviour. Cat models definitely saying winter is not over yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I think we have a problem...

Posted

I know I have been a bit of a grumpy old farmer but since last autumn I have said to anyone who would listen that the bizarre weather of late spring and early summer last year would be felt all the way into this year. Instead of being in oversupply food in the developed world both in the northern and southern hemisphere(my factor has just come back from a six week break in New Zealand and confirmed that drought was becoming a serious issue there just now) is going to be in short supply if these extreme weather patterns persist

We are already having our quota of cattle feed deliveries cut by 20% because they are running out of ingredients.(normally have a minimum delivery tonnage but that's been cut by 20% too) I am also fairly certain that supplies of other staple commodities are low but that news of this is being managed.

Picked up young Mr. Northernlights car from the garage this morning after its M.O.T. Was asked for a forecast and cheered them up by saying that they may have a bit more time to clear the last of their winter tyres and 4X4s. Might be a while before they could sell any open top cars though.

On a different tack all five farm cats are hugging the rayburn as I type.They are also jumping up onto anyones lap and curling up today, not usual behaviour. Cat models definitely saying winter is not over yet.

u get to be a bit grumpy and it is well understandable farming is your income and u need the weather to play ball to give u the best chance of getting the greatest income u can from your land and snowy conditions lasting this long isnt a good thing at all for you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's para 2, sentence 2 that I don't like the sound of. BFT's p155takes on panic-buying come to mind. How many years of extreme & unseasonal weather will it take for us to be smashing the shop fronts and stealing sheep?

Posted

Hello guys from your favourite thread - London and the South-East! I am heading to St Andrews on Wednesday for some meetings (not golf, honest, not my thing) flying in to Edinburgh and then out again on Friday. With your local knowledge how do you see the weather panning out on those days? I'll check back in later as I'm off out now to celebrate England's Grand Slam. Ah.... I see, right.... looks like I'm staying in then. For quite some time....

Thanks

AS

Posted

Hello guys from your favourite thread - London and the South-East! I am heading to St Andrews on Wednesday for some meetings (not golf, honest, not my thing) flying in to Edinburgh and then out again on Friday. With your local knowledge how do you see the weather panning out on those days? I'll check back in later as I'm off out now to celebrate England's Grand Slam. Ah.... I see, right.... looks like I'm staying in then. For quite some time....

Thanks

AS

from the charts being shown and the way airports are u will be lucky if u get to land here lol

its looking like a heavy period of snow monday night into tuesday then from then looking like wintry showers on wednesday but that might change just keep checking in here and we will update u accordingly

Posted

from the charts being shown and the way airports are u will be lucky if u get to land here lol

its looking like a heavy period of snow monday night into tuesday then from then looking like wintry showers on wednesday but that might change just keep checking in here and we will update u accordingly

Thanks for that Buried - I tipped my employers off a few days ago that there might be some problems and asked what Plan B was. Cue deafening silence. Maybe I'll pack my mountaineering gear from many years back (last used on the Aonach Eagach) although, as you say, it won't be much use if we can't land! Really appreciate the response, I'll definitely drop in here closer to the time for the latest as you can't beat some local knowledge, cheers.

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks

AS

Welcome AS, we welcome all incomers to our thread, no matter how badly their team lost...

Anyway, Wednesday looks like being quite snowy, not sure how well it'll lie through the day but with -10C uppers around and easterly winds I'd be prepared for some treacherous roads, especially in the morning and evening. Probably drier but still cold on Thursday (though always the risk of features developing at short range) but with the risk of frontal snow moving up from the south on Friday. Maxima 1-4C, feeling absolutely bitter in the easterly or southeasterly wind. Enjoy!

Posted

Welcome AS, we welcome all incomers to our thread, no matter how badly their team lost...

Anyway, Wednesday looks like being quite snowy, not sure how well it'll lie through the day but with -10C uppers around and easterly winds I'd be prepared for some treacherous roads, especially in the morning and evening. Probably drier but still cold on Thursday (though always the risk of features developing at short range) but with the risk of frontal snow moving up from the south on Friday. Maxima 1-4C, feeling absolutely bitter in the easterly or southeasterly wind. Enjoy!

Thanks Lomond!

Posted

what a cracking 12z fax chart for monday night hopefully thats all snow that will be falling

post-18233-0-28482300-1363462799_thumb.g

Posted

what a cracking 12z fax chart for monday night hopefully thats all snow that will be falling

post-18233-0-28482300-1363462799_thumb.g

Aye, winds north of east, temperatures sitting around -1C up to 2C at the coast, uppers somewhere between -7C and -10C, most likely snow:

13031900_1612.gif

Tuesday through the day could be even better:

13031912_1612.gif