Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/03/13 13z---->

A.J

Posted

Could do with someone like you in the Midlands thread. Liking the enthusiasm. Haven't got anyone to chat with in there about tomorrow. Saying that, don't really have anyone to chat with about tomorrow anywhere on the forum (put the violin away lol).

Back I go to... I don't know.

hi weather09, ive been looking at potential for tommorow but no one ever seems to post so i dont bother because i probably wont get a reply

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

would love to go out with a bang and as long as we keep hold of those cold uppers I think we could get hit by something very special .

Absolutely. Need them to stay around -8c for the time of year I reckon... Get some PPN like we have tonight I reckon that I may struggle to get out of the front door!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Absolutely. Need them to stay around -8c for the time of year I reckon... Get some PPN like we have tonight I reckon that I may struggle to get out of the front door!!

you live in a perfect location my friend, love cycling over the moor in the summer months and doing a bit of camping..... Beautiful.

Have to say the is still no better place to see snow than in Cornwall .

Been a very long time since a big fall, 1986 I think as I was only 6 then but still stands out for me as a special event seeing the deep snow and massive snow drifts .

February 1986.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

you live in a perfect location my friend, love cycling over the moor in the summer months and doing a bit of camping..... Beautiful.

Have to say the is still no better place to see snow than in Cornwall .

Been a very long time since a big fall, 1986 I think as I was only 6 then but still stands out for me as a special event seeing the deep snow and massive snow drifts .

February 1986.

Your absolutely right sir, with the elevation up here we get some good snow chances. It is a stunning place to live. Really like it up here.

I have to agree about seeing snow in cornwall. I was only 4 in 1986 so I only remember my tonka toys!! However a couple of years back I remember driving down to Looe and driving through some snow covered trees, it felt like Narnia!!

Im keeping my fingers crossed for this one buddy.... could be special!!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Could do with someone like you in the Midlands thread. Liking the enthusiasm. Haven't got anyone to chat with in there about tomorrow. Saying that, don't really have anyone to chat with about tomorrow anywhere on the forum (put the violin away lol).

Back I go to... I don't know.

The South West thread is where its at im afraid weather09. The Midlands thread is just a colossal thread of depressing misery most of the time. However I will try and participate a little there over April whilst im back in the Midlands at home. :)

Saturday: Heavy, possibly Thundery Showers for Cornwall. Rain Clearing for the Channel Islands with sunny spells and a few showers later.

Posted

Im puzzled, this isnt meant in a moany way but i genuinly dont understand so maybe someone with loads more knowledge than me knows the answer. When snow is forecast it just doesnt happen we dont even get rain so its not like they forecasted snow and it turned to rain, no it goes somewhere else. Now if rain in forecasted it happens almost without exception every time. So how do they forecast acuratly that its going to rain and it does so why is it harder if its snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well aren't you the bringer of good news. laugh.png I've nowhere to really chat, which is just sad.

Guess I'm moving to the south-west, then. Hope they'll have me. laugh.png

We welcome you with open arms! I have little interest in the Midlands thread these days. I have no desire to post anything detailed as its just washed out by posts like 'oh its cloudy again' and 'oh 1mm of rain is forecast, therefore its a washout and thus its autumn!!!' Rather bored of it tbh! However people like Bishop Brennan, Arnie Pie, yourself, Serendipity and some others breathe some sanity into that thread. Im a South Westerner now. laugh.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Im puzzled, this isnt meant in a moany way but i genuinly dont understand so maybe someone with loads more knowledge than me knows the answer. When snow is forecast it just doesnt happen we dont even get rain so its not like they forecasted snow and it turned to rain, no it goes somewhere else. Now if rain in forecasted it happens almost without exception every time. So how do they forecast acuratly that its going to rain and it does so why is it harder if its snow?

There can be a very long explanation for that but i'm on my phone. Most of the time, the UK's precip actually begins as snow. It usually changes form as it falls through many different temperature layers, if all the temperature layers are within the realm of -4 to -5C then snowflakes will stay as snowflakes until they hit the surface, that becomes a different story. A small difference in elevation or landscape can effect snowfall. That was my simple version of it. lol

Posted

Lol Cheers man. Does sort of feel lonely, what with yourself and AJ having moved away to the SW. You'd think we'd met. Good times when there were storms across the W Mids.

But anyway. Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread. biggrin.png

Ill help you keep the sanity in the Midlands thread when im home, so April and late June, July and August (when im not down here too). Cant say my patience for the usual rubbish is going to be very long in there. hehe. laugh.png Example: That was hardly a storm because it didnt go over my back garden and it hasnt caught fire laugh.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Good morning all. It's windy, raining and grey. I have a feeling of déjà vu!!!

Posted

Mmm what I posted last night about the front not clearing Wiltshire until midday/early afteroon seems likely now.

Serious amounts of rain over this region in the last 24 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Good morning all. It's windy, raining and grey. I have a feeling of déjà vu!!!

Had a lot of rain in the night,but looks better this morning.

Rain has stopped and even some blue sky in places.

Hoping for a good day with a few heavy showers.

Not to bothered about this afternoon anyway,rugby is on.

I see a few posts above hinting at possible cold conditions again next week.

When will this winter end?

Be snowing on the bluebells at this rate!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Wow it is hammering it down. I thought it was hail it was so loud but it is like a monsoon out there!

Posted

A few of my thoughts and some relevant charts for the thunderstorm risk for you guys today:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

17mm and counting from midnight onwards. A long time before it clears here, at least a couple of hours I guess. Cornwall should start witnessing some beefy showers very soon, so keep ears pricked for Thunder and Lightning. Devon should also be brightening in parts as I type this. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

19mm since mid night, stopped now though & things a brightening up.

Looking forward to some lively showers later.

Posted

17mm and counting from midnight onwards. A long time before it clears here, at least a couple of hours I guess. Cornwall should start witnessing some beefy showers very soon, so keep ears pricked for Thunder and Lightning. Devon should also be brightening in parts as I type this. good.gif

And Somerset! :good: blue skies here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just drove into work, started of as sleet at home with rain below around 100m i'd say so be interesting to see what falls in these heavy showers throughout the day.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Front slowly clearing the region now, can see the back edge of it here in Bristol.

Some nice looking cells already starting to show up over Cornwall, these spreading NE across the region through the day.

Just drove into work, started of as sleet at home with rain below around 100m i'd say so be interesting to see what falls in these heavy showers throughout the day.good.gif

Should be some snow mate, especially at your elevation;

post-12721-0-18960900-1363425047_thumb.jpost-12721-0-79114900-1363425059_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Yuk... heavy rain, dark skies, barely 6c and I've much to organise this weekend ... let alone the darned garden shed that's been waiting since Christmas!!!

Have a great weekend y'all.

Iggy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Bright sunny skies here now.

Convection building over Cornwall, hoping I can catch something this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Just goes to show that the current synoptic pattern (N blocking) is far from finished with us and the whole country will be on the cusp of some proper wintry weather for what looks like the whole of the rest of march!

My favourite snapshot this morning is from GFS

Rtavn1921.png

Rtavn1922.png

Rtavn1924.png

Maybe better illustrated in higher resolution as follows

Rmgfs1893.gif

Rmgfs1894.gif

Rmgfs1898.gif

We wouldn't need exceptional uppers to get snow in the south if the timing was right

Rmgfs1892.gif

All to play for. good.gif