Posted

UW144-21.GIF?13-17

ukmo at 144

gfs-0-144.png?12

gfs at 144

whos for a where do we place the low saga part 3 million and 1 fool.gif

ecm may be interesting soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

UW144-21.GIF?13-17

ukmo at 144

gfs-0-144.png?12

gfs at 144

whos for a where do we place the low saga part 3 million and 1 fool.gif

ecm may be interesting soon

I have the feeling it's going to be every model vs GFS again :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

2004 thundersnow event.

Back in 2004, an area of the U.K. happened to get a very bizarre thundersnow mix. In an unusual concoction of warm and cooler air colliding--this particular area (reportedly in the southern regions of the U.K) received everything from blue lightning, heavy snow, ice pellets and tornadoes. While Britain is usually one of those "between a rock and a hard place" areas of the world where the warm and cold collide (a little like Oregon in the NW U.S.)--meteorologists still were perplexed how that extreme case of thundersnow happened in that area of Western Europe.

No other reported thundersnow events have been reported in Europe yet. But thundersnow accompanied by a tornado has an interesting structure--almost by natural design. Extratropical tornadoes are some of the most dangerous kind today (and most common)--because they happen in regions of the United States that have no tropical or polar weather influence. A typical thundersnow structure involves the snow nestled in the NW corner of a tornado when seen on a satellite. The reason it's always in the NW quadrant of the tornado is because of the comma shape the tornado has--creating a convenient space there for the snow front to more or less "join" the twister as one. It's beautiful design with destructive power.

Another fascinating piece of meteorological structure comes in how snow in a thundersnow event frequently creates a mute effect for any thunder you hear accompanying the front. This is a unique form of science in the study of natural sounds and how something we associate with power and loudness (claps of thunder) can seemingly by deliberate design be muted by something associated with gentleness and fun.

http://voices.yahoo....its-878783.html

I remember this well....totally awesome!

Sitting here at Bromley and I can see in the distance the snow (looks heavy to me). Ahhh, here it is....a wintry mix good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Either very small hail or very large snow pellets falling at a good rate here. Roofs turning white as I type!!!

(EDIT: just turned to snow now after temp dropped, with a nice icing on surfaces... Nice!! :D)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy in Winter, Cold and Wet in Summer

big thick fluffy flakes in the city, and lots of them!

Posted

I remember this well....totally awesome!

Ahhh, here it is....a wintry mix good.gif

You just can't beat it!!

pick_n_mix_5835.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Raining here.

Took my bobby out for a walk and flakes of snow was falling so glad it's not heavy or settling normaly would love it to but have my reasons for hoping it stays away :) bobby is my little dog btw lol ... Can feel the temp dropping too

Edited by snowlady36

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Here's a rather striking cloud I photographed at 17:30. Over to the South.

post-17085-0-65480100-1363196524_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

2004 thundersnow event.

Back in 2004, an area of the U.K. happened to get a very bizarre thundersnow mix. In an unusual concoction of warm and cooler air colliding--this particular area (reportedly in the southern regions of the U.K) received everything from blue lightning, heavy snow, ice pellets and tornadoes. While Britain is usually one of those "between a rock and a hard place" areas of the world where the warm and cold collide (a little like Oregon in the NW U.S.)--meteorologists still were perplexed how that extreme case of thundersnow happened in that area of Western Europe.

No other reported thundersnow events have been reported in Europe yet. But thundersnow accompanied by a tornado has an interesting structure--almost by natural design. Extratropical tornadoes are some of the most dangerous kind today (and most common)--because they happen in regions of the United States that have no tropical or polar weather influence. A typical thundersnow structure involves the snow nestled in the NW corner of a tornado when seen on a satellite. The reason it's always in the NW quadrant of the tornado is because of the comma shape the tornado has--creating a convenient space there for the snow front to more or less "join" the twister as one. It's beautiful design with destructive power.

Another fascinating piece of meteorological structure comes in how snow in a thundersnow event frequently creates a mute effect for any thunder you hear accompanying the front. This is a unique form of science in the study of natural sounds and how something we associate with power and loudness (claps of thunder) can seemingly by deliberate design be muted by something associated with gentleness and fun.

http://voices.yahoo....its-878783.html

I remember it very well, absolutely stunning, with one of the flashes of lightning directly above me, with the MASSIVE clap of thunder accompanying it. Both my Gran and I had our hair standing on end it was so close and visibility was down to about 20ft. Got three inches (7.5cm approx) in a matter of minutes.

(Going to see if I can locate a picture of my Gran with her hair on end just seconds after it happened)

big thick fluffy flakes in the city, and lots of them!

Nice while it lasted eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

we have had everything today here in colchester, hail sleet snow, some settling and now having a heavy hail shower,what month is it again lol!!

Posted

Lovely this slightly mad weather this afternoon. Driving along in Uxbridge it was showing 6C on car temperature thing and so I told myself the odd pea-sized looking snow flake must be blossom or something... and then got out the car to 3 minutes of a snow shower with an array of shapes and sizes of snowflakes for school pick-up. Around junction 10 of the A3 the cloudscapes were amazing - you could have believed any type of storm was on its way with the cloud options on show, and since arriving back in Surbiton the orangey-tinted stuff has taken over with more snow showers and the wind picking up again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Snowing moderately in Croydon as I was changing trains

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

What an absolute kick in the balls

When it's cold enough to snow and settle, IT DOESN'T

When it's not cold enough to settle, we get heavy snow!

Really takes the ***** and these showers will die soon as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

oooh oooh oooh we have lift off! snowing here laying already :) keep it comming mr snow cloud :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme!

Heavy snow again here in the bay, nice surprise considering only rain forecast!

biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nothing at all around here. Only one Cb visible, and that's just about where the comet might be!