Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:00>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Here is a basic map collating all the results from the 3 main models to make it easier for people who don't actually look into the models to see where the snow will fall. The snowline seems to be focused along the M4 or just North of it as it always is in these set ups for some strange reason. This is a basic idea of what to expect, but I suspect things will change over the next few days, either a shift North or South!

post-15503-0-34547700-1363710682_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Blue skies now ... surely I must be hallucinating?

Snow very close Saturday morning on the 12z GFS. T850s not very impressive, only just below 0C, but dew points 0C just north of London and partial thicknesses just about low enough for snow in the northern Home Counties and E Anglia:

post-1052-0-08014400-1363709848_thumb.pnpost-1052-0-53657600-1363709851_thumb.gi

Long way off and suitable parameters for snow could move north again (or south) and indeed location of precip could change before then too.

could be our last chance saloon for snow this week/end then? - those parameters are keeping me awake as winter eyelids are starting to close - an adjustment further south would keep me up (-:

a snippet of hope yet:

post-884-0-80057900-1363710638_thumb.png

yes I know it's a gfs precip chart and they're cxxp (allegedly) but hey it's spring and we can hope can't we?

P

Posted

PPVE89.gif?31415

UW18-21.GIF?19-16

UW18-7.GIF?19-16

UW18-6.GIF?19-16

UW18-594.GIF?19-16

UW24-21.GIF?19-16

UW24-7.GIF?19-16

UW24-6.GIF?19-16

UW24-594.GIF?19-16

also

UW30-7.GIF?19-16

UW30-594.GIF?19-16

posted these to show why the met office have called for snow potential around anglia area

the potential is there

not calling huge amounts but the risk is there

Posted

Here is a basic map collating all the results from the 3 main models to make it easier for people who don't actually look into the models to see where the snow will fall. The snowline seems to be focused along the M4 or just North of it as it always is in these set ups for some strange reason. This is a basic idea of what to expect, but I suspect things will change over the next few days, either a shift North or South!

ahh wouldn't it be funny if everywhere north of the M4 got it this timewhistling.gif

but then again that wouldn't be fair would it?

Feel sorry for the midlanders as most of the weather predictions seem to be north or south of it going by certain comments on this site... no weather in the midlands what ever next!

Surprises to be had - maybe of a snowy kind for some - north or south of the midlands and maybe in the middle too laugh.png

Posted

Well since you good folk on the South Coast fared well last week, I think its only fair us folk a bit further north had a final bite of the winter cherry this weekend wink.png

Posted

ahh wouldn't it be funny if everywhere north of the M4 got it this timewhistling.gif

but then again that wouldn't be fair would it?

Feel sorry for the midlanders as most of the weather predictions seem to be north or south of it going by certain comments on this site... no weather in the midlands what ever next!

Surprises to be had - maybe of a snowy kind for some - north or south of the midlands and maybe in the middle too laugh.png

probably end up in france again rofl.gif

Posted

Good map re " will it be cold enough to snow" but looking at the 12z NWP so far, I'd be surprised if any frontal precip made it north and east of Manchester area? As for our region then north of London looks good. Northants, bucks should do ok.

Posted

Well since you good folk on the South Coast fared well last week, I think its only fair us folk a bit further north had a final bite of the winter cherry this weekend wink.png

yeh and we can get struck by lightning, have a tornado and an earthquake all in one day up here.. plus snow ! Happens a lot blum.gif

Posted

Just wondering how much further south this weekends low would need to track in order to bring us in the SE into play.

Over Hellingly would be nice.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

UW144-21.GIF?19-17

surprised this has not been spotted smile.png

Fairly dry but what interests me is what lies NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I just saw a very good snow map on Facebook showing the snow further south than I expected....I wondered if it might be posted on here !

Yep....this is the one I was talking about good.gif

Posted

Fairly dry but what interests me is what lies NE.

hi snowman

that would not be dry as loads on inastabilty there

long way out but the north east bit is very interesting

as the low to our south east could pull that lot towards us

would be cold as well

winter continues still

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

yeh and we can get struck by lightning, have a tornado and an earthquake all in one day up here.. plus snow ! Happens a lot blum.gif

Surely not..... things like that only happen within about a mile of Thorpe Park laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map

Well the lads at the met office have had their crayons out today, warnings everywhere (except here) for the next 5 days.... rofl.gif

Posted

Surely not..... things like that only happen within about a mile of Thorpe Park laugh.png

(-:

wouldn't it be great if the met forecast rain.. and then it turned to snow in the evening, falling all night to wake up to the results of our last winter blast of this season, make a snowman etc - followed the next day by a very quick thaw to let spring back with a vengeance?

but of a dreamer me..blush.png

http://www.metoffice...nings/#?tab=map

Well the lads at the met office have had their crayons out today, warnings everywhere (except here) for the next 5 days.... rofl.gif

might need more crayons with fine tips this week rolleyes.gif

Posted

just posted by ian f on mod thread

Just to caution raw NAE frames for frontal advance Thursday AM have been slowed in modified version. Thus snow amounts showing on raw version e.g. Glos expected as transient and inconsequential, not least giving phasing with diurnal temperature. Sun-Mon of more interest for S areas if you are interested in a bit of snow there.

the sun-mon remark would be this

UW144-21.GIF?19-17

still expect changes up to thursday at least with this

Posted

PPVE89.gif?31415

updated fax has a trough slap bang over anglia

all under an east north east flow

possible slightly heavier snow anglia way showing here

but would not rule out wintry showers anywhere tomorrow in the south east (more chance of wintry bits later pm in the south)

cold again 5 -6 degree max but dropping when showers arrive

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

quite a lot of precipitation about to hit the channel heading north could be a wet evening

It might just swing past us:

post-6667-0-59636600-1363715507_thumb.jp

ASII_20130319_1700.png

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

hi coast run this again

think they are going north east then will tilt north west

see what it does soon enough though smile.png

Well I'm off home now and I might put the roof down to scare it!!! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

just posted by ian f on mod thread

Just to caution raw NAE frames for frontal advance Thursday AM have been slowed in modified version. Thus snow amounts showing on raw version e.g. Glos expected as transient and inconsequential, not least giving phasing with diurnal temperature. Sun-Mon of more interest for S areas if you are interested in a bit of snow there.

the sun-mon remark would be this

UW144-21.GIF?19-17

still expect changes up to thursday at least with this

Yes I was wondering about that this morning, interesting to see how this pans out with the modelling over the next few dayssmile.png

Edited by Tamara Road