Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

heres hoping when the winds turn a little more easterly the forth snow machine starts up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like something more organised moving towards Edinburgh from the east. A bit frustrating to see other parts copping the snow but I suppose that's just par for the course here, plus it is March! Shaping up to be a good event, and hopefully we can stave off the marginality and allow accumulations to build up overnight and into tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Just measured 6cm on the flat here, with 15cm drifts. Wonder what overnight will bring?

Posted

Looks like something more organised moving towards Edinburgh from the east. A bit frustrating to see other parts copping the snow but I suppose that's just par for the course here, plus it is March! Shaping up to be a good event, and hopefully we can stave off the marginality and allow accumulations to build up overnight and into tomorrow.

worst for u is freuchie will be taking a pasting just now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Hopefully. Net degradation here this last couple of hours. Mostly gloopy slush here now so getting myself mentally ready to accept it may not pan out (well not here anyway). Just wrong side of marginal here thus far.

Posted

Not much happening here at the moment although a bit more snow comes through every now and again. I was trying to think of similar events this late in the winter (or early in the spring, I suppose). Didn't the famous winter of 1979 go out in style with yet another heavy fall around this date? I seem to remember that it was mainly the east coast, especially the Borders, that got hit then too.

Really... been snowing here for 20 mins.

Posted

I have a great intensity tool at my disposal tonight..... Bonnybridge there, Bonnybridge gone. It's great fun. Currently Bonnybridge is gone. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Excellent - band really pepping up as it hits here. The convection seems to be close to the coast rather than from further out at sea since the intensity increases so dramatically when moving 10-15 miles inland (i.e. West Lothian and Lanarkshire).

Posted

I think and hope we'll see a red warning tomorrow morning, it could prevent a lot of accidents and hassle tomorrow morning with people trying to get to work.

Posted

worst for u is freuchie will be taking a pasting just now

Yes, in this instance they're very much in the better position, but often that isn't the case in easterlies when there's no 'north advantage' to the uppers and the flow is due east rather than ENE. This is classic Fife snow machine synoptics.

And just like that we're back to almost full cover again. This stuff looks a little less transient so perhaps we'll be able to get a good base built up in the next hour.

Posted

Hopefully. Net degradation here this last couple of hours. Mostly gloopy slush here now so getting myself mentally ready to accept it may not pan out (well not here anyway). Just wrong side of marginal here thus far.

No gloopy slush here...I should be so lucky. ;-) Out here on the margins it's the odd few flakes in the wind but damp, cold and breezy sums it up. +1.7c.

Posted

Ach Hawsey, nae luck. LS understands the rationale better than me, but it is madly frustrating to be on a sticky-oot bit of Fife, and then see it go past and around you and dump on everyone else. Sucks to be right on the coast sometimes and this may be another one of these times...

No gloopy slush here...I should be so lucky. ;-) Out here on the margins it's the odd few flakes in the wind but damp, cold and breezy sums it up. +1.7c.

Posted

My current analysis is that the front seems to be moving into East Lothian and Edinburgh but we still have convection developing underneath that which will crucially enhance precipitation intensity. Remember though, fronts are dangerous things and have a habit of turning on you, especially if you live near the coast. Still, for those whom fortune favours this will be a night to remember for a long, long time even in a winter packed with locally outstanding events.

Posted

Just driven on M 8 from Edinburgh to Newhouse and the snow between Livingston and Harthill is very heavy with poor visibility. Approximately 2"-3" on the M 8 near Livingston and very slow going.

Edited by ECOSSE1650

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

On off on off on off here and great to watch when on really blowing around...still not really lying on Tarmac but cars and grass getting plenty just need a real 30 min blast to sort that ..... Have lazy boy reclined heating on full blast sitting in shorts watching snow go past the window horizontally....quality Monday night...currently super fast snow or snowing deeply :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

It's no a damp squib noo bomb.gif

EDIT: Time to raid the grit bin.....

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted

Aye, I don't grudge it to anyone, hope you get your night to remember.

Not sure I could suffer another letdown so quickly though after Hearts got done over by St. Mirren yesterday... sad.png

So forgive me if I have a wee TOORP in the morning !

My current analysis is that the front seems to be moving into East Lothian and Edinburgh but we still have convection developing underneath that which will crucially enhance precipitation intensity. Remember though, fronts are dangerous things and have a habit of turning on you, especially if you live near the coast. Still, for those whom fortune favours this will be a night to remember for a long, long time even in a winter packed with locally outstanding events.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Snow is back on again but this nothing compared to what some other areas are experiencing. Truly exceptional for the second half of March. Radar looking interesting, especially for Fife, parts of the Lothians, Angus and southern Aberdeenshire whilst Aberdeen is having a bit of a lull. A snowy night is instore and it should last well into Tuesday but the action will vary in location throughout the night. Here, I'll be delighted with at least a cm but I'm really looking forward to the reports and pictures in the worst affected areas. If the M-8 is already bad with depths near 2 inches in some spots in the Lothains and Lanarkshire, then there could be some amazing scenes by morning but I'd suspect as consequence from now on, transport distruption should get progressively worse in some spots and it could be a really chaotic rush hour. Traffic cameras are worth keeping an eye, especially the M-8 and other badly affected and busy routes.

Posted

look on meteoradar at northeast england are things starting to move south now

Posted

Currently not cold enough at sea level here in Leith for anything to settle. Temp risen 0.6ºC since 19h00.

Posted

It could do this for the next 24 hours here and with nowt to show for it. Need something to change in our favour. Uppers, wind direction, temps, dew points ... anything!

Currently not cold enough at sea level here in Leith for anything to settle. Temp risen 0.6ºC since 19h00.