Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 23rd March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Snow picking up here again, lots of snow incoming from our East, don't look South!

Yep spot on

I was saying earlier about it coming in swathes today, well the next swathe is now lining itself up in the Thames estuary, and the flow is beginning to align more East to West

Note that generally for East Anglia 2-5cms expected through to this afternoon (this has proven pretty accurate here so far, about 2-3cms)

13032315_2_2306.gif

Its then later this afternoon and into the evening that we are expected to push towards 5-10cms

13032409_2_2306.gif

Whether this proved correct or not we shall have to see, but expect a bit of a lull for the next few hours before it starts to pour back out of the Thames Estuary

SK

Posted

If you are fed up with snow come to Beccles, Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft.

Or Eastbourne....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Snow now turning sleety here in petts Wood/Locksbottom borders and think the snow will slowly thaw over next few hours as temp risen to 1.1 degrees and looks to rise to about 2 here.Oh well, it was a nice surprise first thing this morning!!.Good Luck to those who get a good covering,looks like Hertfordshire and counties North of London will see some good accumulations today.

Posted

Definitely sleety now rather than just rain.

Hmm, I think it's tomorrow or not at all Jules

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The wind has dropped markedly since last night, only getting the odd gust at 20mph, compared to lat nights 45mph.

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted

Yep spot on

I was saying earlier about it coming in swathes today, well the next swathe is now lining itself up in the Thames estuary, and the flow is beginning to align more East to West

Note that generally for East Anglia 2-5cms expected through to this afternoon (this has proven pretty accurate here so far, about 2-3cms)

13032315_2_2306.gif

Its then later this afternoon and into the evening that we are expected to push towards 5-10cms

13032409_2_2306.gif

Whether this proved correct or not we shall have to see, but expect a bit of a lull for the next few hours before it starts to pour back out of the Thames Estuary

SK

I don't like the look of these at all Lol

stopped snowing

temp falling a bit 1.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Tom,

Starting to melt so my measurement on my bin lid is 2.4cms although less on the path good.gif

Hi Jan,

Well done hun!

Er, no more attempts at idiomatic phrases that have an unintended iffy innuendo type slant! blush.png

Sorry again, Jan.

Yours, suitably embarrassed, hi.gif

Tom.

Posted

The light covering this morning was just a little taster from the south , the main course is coming from the east in around an hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

A few pics from the garden.

Temp 0.8 and rising, dp -0.3 and rising.

I could hear the snow falling off of the trees.

post-3080-0-66263400-1364032387_thumb.jp

post-3080-0-68642800-1364032414_thumb.jp

post-3080-0-68008200-1364032440_thumb.jp

As a big kid that i am when it comes to snow, I really have had enough now. This weekend last year we had a bbq at home with 20 family and close friends with us, we had a great night, the fire pit glowing until midnight and plenty of beer and wine, o hum.

Posted

Yep spot on

SK

the problem, sk, is that those accum charts assume that what fall sticks. as precip has so far been light in south herts, even through there may have been several mm worth of precip (falling as snow), only a cm has stuck and now its very light and that is now melting. unless you can get an hour or two with decent intensity, you cant get a decent base down. without a good base, whatever sticks will thaw before the next band of heavier stuff arrives. i'm fairly pessimistic for our part of the se. so far this year, we've been too far east, then too far west then too far north, then too far south ....... the okey cokey of snow depth avoidance !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Really coming down now, wind picking up also. Lots more to come and heavier later.

Posted

Hi Jan,

Well done hun!

Er, no more attempts at idiomatic phrases that have an unintended iffy innuendo type slant! blush.png

Sorry again, Jan.

Yours, suitably embarrassed, hi.gif

Tom.

No apology needed Mr. Tom,

You weren't offensive in the least. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Tom,

Starting to melt so my measurement on my bin lid is 2.4cms although less on the path good.gif

Yes, I think those south of the river might want to take their lead from Jan and take a measurement soon, if they're in the Snow Cup!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

"kind of" snowing in Hailsham

Snow through the night in Hemel Hempstead (149m). About 3 to 4 cm cover at 9am. Still snowing but only lightly and melting on roads. Good cover on fields and still being blown but wind not as strong as it was at 6.30am. Could be causing some trouble on higher exposed roads in the Chilterns.

Posted

Snow stopped and temp now 0.9C,when are we due to be getting the very cold air over us because what we have is thawing now?

We have not had many days below zero this winter and I have only had to scrape ice off the car a handful of times,but we have had a lot of days between 3c and 5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

well it snowed :) grass covered and some pavements, slush on roads :) bit different from the 21c this time last year!