Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

This is the end

Posted

I also want to wish you all the best for the future and I will miss you posts and forecasts immensly!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Good luck in your new job Stewart. A truly epic forecaster who betters even the mighty Met Office. Will be sad to see you leave!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

All the best for the future and thank you for all the great information and analysis you have shared with us all. I will personally miss grabbing a cuppa and reading your thoughts.

Posted

Most of us come across true legends in our lifetime in various walks of life.

You were a weather legend on here and you will be sadly missed.

Autumns just wont be the same without you as we awaited with baithed breath the Winter forecast

Farewell and God bless!

Posted

Good luck with the future Stewart and thanks for your great posts over the years.

Posted

Just want to echo others in wishing you the best in the future. Certainly a great loss for the rest of us.

I do believe your methods is the future of forecasting and im not surprised your services are wanted elsewhere.

Posted

Best wishes for the future from me as well. The farm has benefitted from your winter forecasts on many occasions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Other than your knowledge and technical grasp of new meteorological concepts that have proved ground breaking and accepted on the wider professional level, your writing style has always left a feeling of wanting to know more, anticipating more. Also the disguised and dampened down enthusiasm and excitement that subtly showed with some of your posts like "Get ready its coming" (as a more recent example) at the start of the winter time. That added the personality to the technical babble and helped make it become individually owned and alive.

Good luck for the future - very well deservedsmile.png

Tamara

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Good luck Stewart and well done! :D

Posted

I've been a member of Netweather since 2005.

In that time I've seen the idea of the sea temperatures over the Pacific having an influence on global weather patterns go from very doubtful to routinely accepted and monitored on a daily basis. The idea that the polar stratosphere exerts a huge influence on the hemispheric pattern in winter go from almost unspoken to now accepted long range guidance.

Regulars will know that I champion a non numerical weather model approach to long range weather forecasting - that in order to accept a model forecast you must first understand and form an opinion of how the global pattern is being driven. This has had its failures, but it's had its successes too. These successes have not gone un-noticed and I've been fortunate enough to have been offered a role with a large multinational providing consultative long range weather forecasts. A tremendous challenge but one I'm very keen on.

This requires complete dedication and precludes any public forecasting role.

Therefore, this posting will be my last on Netweather.

I would like to take this opportunity in thanking Paul for his support over the last few years and the platform that he's given me. I would also like to thank all those others who've attempted to understand my postings over the years, and those who we've shared ideas with, no matter how bonkers they seemed at the time. No doubt others will pick up and run with the approach that I've been keen to promote as the way forward.

You may see me lurking from time to time, but from me for now, I bid you adieu.

Best regards

Stewart

Hopefully, you'll pop in every now and then, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to? Congratulations though :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Just found out, all been said already really, good luck and thanks, it was inevitable really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes good luck with everything and thanks for your input here over the years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

GP what can I say? Your inputs and hard work was pure world class! Not only will you be missed by many on here but I personally will miss comparing notes on the model output discussion. I hope wherever you go that you will be appreciated and I for one have learnt such a great deal from you - thanks so much. Alex.

Catch my weather thoughts on twitter - @alexbweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Indeed- all the best- you'll be a big loss to Netweather but hopefully your insights will inspire others to continue with teleconnections-based forecasting- it is primarily through your work that I've become convinced that it is worth taking teleconnections into account when formulating my own month-ahead forecasts for example. They may be far from bulletproof but they have had a good track record of picking out the general atmospheric circulation patterns well in advance over the past few years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

All the best Stewart, your research and forecasting methods were ahead of their time and I feel very fortunate to have been able to learn so much from you.

The style of your posts was always well mannered, well reasoned and entertaining with a healthy amount of geekiness mixed in and I liked that even when your forecasts didn't go exactly to plan you evaluated them fairly and used them to further improve your forecasts in the future, the very essence of scientific enquiry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

My very best wishes and congratulations on your new job Stewart.Well deserved.

Thank you for all your work on Net Weather over the years and for helping us to gain some insight into the background drivers of our weather.

Your excellent postings will be missed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Hi Stewart,I think it is a fair reflection on how much you will be missed on here that 50 folk have taken time to reflect on how well you have done.Although I'm relatively new to NW I feel I have increased my understanding of all things weather...and that is surely what Netweather is all about ....so all the best in your future......DON'T be a stranger!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't think it's a case of him not having time per se (although this probably will be a factor). I'm guessing it'll possibly be due to restrictions in what he's allowed to post outside of his new job (as Netweather is commercial strictly speaking....as it offers various paid packages). Only guessing though.

Anyway, once again, best wishes Stewart

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Wow a sad loss for netweather but congrats GP I'm surprised some organistion didn't snatch you up sooner! Good luck in the future mate you will be missed here by all.

Posted

congratulations, I will miss your posts and thoughts, a true unbiased opinon. I remember your eallier posts having been a member for many years, espaically when you

used your knowledge in constantly predicting a milder pattern one winter, what a bummer, BUT hey it was true.

go for it, and good luck.