Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

I have no idea if this will help, but it popped up when I searched on Google:

http://www.examiner.com/article/atmospheric-angular-momentum-aam-oversimplified

Thanks Catch, I'll have a look, it looks good.

Posted

Just unblocked tractor air filters with compressed air. More talcum powder dust while rolling the barley as in March last year. Which way will it go this summer drought or flood on balance with the last two dry months drought seems more likely with all the drain outlets off the fields into the wood all nearly stopped running. Barley has however germinated in 2 days which is good.

Nice bright morning/ almost no wind here today seemed to miss the rain overnight after a windy day yesterday. Still on the cool side at 9c and growth slow, moisture limiting factor now?

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

In a word, aye!

It would be cold and grey along the east coast with an easterly at this time of year. I think it would be cold and grey for a good bit inland too, although I would be guessing at just how far! With an easterly in the next few weeks it would be better further west and in the lee of high ground. Glasgow (for example) would see some decent weather, as they would with a northerly at this time of year.

I am utterly sick of this cool weather, it's useless when the risk of snow is very low. We're still burning wood and coal like it's going out of fashion

yeah an easterly flow just now even though we are deep into april would still be a cold one with north  sea temps still around the 6c mark just now

post-18233-0-79897000-1366545092_thumb.g

Posted

Not been that bad a afternoon actually. Was expecting a load of heavy showers but been virtually dry after the main rain cleared

Posted

My sister made me a cake for my 40th birthday. It did taste as good as it looked! Surprised that she went for the old school BBC graphics as well.

post-11598-0-60603500-1366556699_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny spells here. 11.5C. Fresh Westerly breeze. Just back from a run up to Highland Perthshire. One or two showers around but clear air. Still snow drifts around to quite low levels in some north facing locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Don't like to grumble unduly, but these frggng showers are playing merry fckn hell with trying to get the onions in the ground!!

Posted

Don't like to grumble unduly, but these frggng showers are playing merry fckn hell with trying to get the onions in the ground!!

Just be glad you are getting them as the ground here resembles a desert.

Posted

After a very wet and grey start to the day, a nice but chilly evening. Just in from repairer a jammed brake caliper. (Bloody french cars!!!)

Spring must be coming as these were snapped yesterday......

46631_287171101417089_660460283_n.png

here is a rare pic of a wee family of Haggi (plural of haggis) they were spotted resting awhile in the hills and glens of our beautiful Highland Countryside...cute as buttons and rare as a set of teeth on a hen, enjoy the wonder of these shy little creatures at rest.

Posted

Just be glad you are getting them as the ground here resembles a desert.

Fair dos, 3 quarters done.  One of the most fiddly & time-consuming garden jobs here, sometimes wonder why I bother when you can get nearly 'out-of-date' bags of onions from the Co-op for a song occasionally.  Garlic's worth it thoughwub.png

I see overnight minima are set to fall away again at the end of this week; potatoes can stay indoors a while longer I think.  Rhubarb's doing well already and herbs are well away.

Posted

Fair dos, 3 quarters done.  One of the most fiddly & time-consuming garden jobs here, sometimes wonder why I bother when you can get nearly 'out-of-date' bags of onions from the Co-op for a song occasionally.  Garlic's worth it though:wub:

I see overnight minima are set to fall away again at the end of this week; potatoes can stay indoors a while longer I think.  Rhubarb's doing well already and herbs are well away.

Got some seeds/tattie seed for the garden this afternoon too and told the family would probably wait till May to plant with low temperatures coming this next week end. Biggest problem on the farm is the lack of sustained grass growth to turn cattle out probably at least 3 weeks away. Currently 5c so growth stopped again. Real wintery looking sky over the Firth in the evening with wintry showers fading away to the North West in the sunset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Did the first cut of the lawn at the weekend.

Tatties went in today.

Chillis too, but then they're on the window ledge in my home office. It's the light they need.

Stuff generally growing now. Canny believe I still have a couple of snowdrops in flower; mixed in with crocus and daffs flowering too. looks like they'll miss the tulips though - these close to opening but not maybe for a week yet.

Have a blackbird nest in my open woodshed. I'm wondering if the amorous couple have chosen it as the hedge is still bare; hawthorn only now starting to sprout. Wondering whether I need to put some chicken wire around it as the kitten is getting on in size and a wee hunter.

Weather relates to the above. Certainly more spring-like but subdued. A late one certainly.

Posted

After a very wet and grey start to the day, a nice but chilly evening. Just in from repairer a jammed brake caliper. (Bloody french cars!!!)

Spring must be coming as these were snapped yesterday......

46631_287171101417089_660460283_n.png

here is a rare pic of a wee family of Haggi (plural of haggis) they were spotted resting awhile in the hills and glens of our beautiful Highland Countryside...cute as buttons and rare as a set of teeth on a hen, enjoy the wonder of these shy little creatures at rest.

How many do you need for a pie?

Posted

How many do you need for a pie?

About 3 as these are captive bred, thus a little plumper, wild one's tend to be on the thin side coming out of winter.

Posted

About 3 as these are captive bred, thus a little plumper, wild one's tend to be on the thin side coming out of winter.

So free range then, that's ok with Ms HC, prob tastier too if they're eating all the s41t on the hills.  I'll keep my eyes peeled when out next - I presume they're quite easy to catch - a net perhaps?

(had the displeasure of dissecting badger faeces recently - an undescribably unpleasant stenchbad.gif bad.gif bad.gif )

Posted

Beep! Beep! weather this wind will not give up .Trying to sow grass seed today but ground starting to blow again. Currently bright intervals gusty west wind and 11.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well that was a decent weekend, which I spent most of outdoors trying to knock the garden into shape a bit (back in work today for a rest). On Saturday it felt warm at times, on Sunday it felt cold at times, but both days were generally dry and bright. Today so far is more cloudy, not feeling at all warm, and as Northernlights has said the wind has made a return.

It still doesn't feel particularly spring like despite us rapidly approaching May, and the forecast of some northerly and easterly winds again won't help. There's still very little growth on any vegetation around here. Daffodils are finally trying to flower but there's still no real grass growth and the trees are still almost universally bare of leaves. Despite a bright setting sun as we walked the dog around the local woods yesterday evening the landscape still had that bare feel of winter about it.

Posted

A strong westerly today, although still mild.  Certainly looks colder at the end of the week although hopefully not too long-lasting.

Posted

Bit unpleasent out there with sweeping rain and strong winds. BRR!

Posted

The dust storms have returned to the "Badlands" of the Southern Moray Firth.

Felt like Lawrence of Arabia going to let the cows in an hour ago with the swirling dust being stung into your face by the wind. The cows don"t like it either. As soon as I opened the gate to the grass field they ran home to the steading

The farms bordering the Firth with their sandy soils must be getting really fed up now.

Currently 12c with strong to gale force west wind and spits of rain in the air.

Posted

The dust storms have returned to the "Badlands" of the Southern Moray Firth.

Felt like Lawrence of Arabia going to let the cows in an hour ago with the swirling dust being stung into your face by the wind. The cows don"t like it either. As soon as I opened the gate to the grass field they ran home to the steading

The farms bordering the Firth with their sandy soils must be getting really fed up now.

Currently 12c with strong to gale force west wind and spits of rain in the air.

Should be quite easy to find you if I take a quick spin around Nairn then...

Posted

Holy it a tad windy!

It's like the train line behind us, so used to it now, you notice when it's not there.

Not looking forward to the chill at the weekend, we need sun, and warmth soon!

Be good to get a few clear nights... http://www.space.com/20751-lyrid-meteor-shower-peaking-now.html

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Crikey it's deathly in here tonight.  Really windy out (glad the neighbours' rattly gate isn't anywhere my bedroom); no meteors seen between the scudding clouds.

Was out looking for a car to buy today - what the heck has happened to car prices since 2008? Someone must be making a mint somewhere...