Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Sowing spring barley into a nice warm/dry seed bed this morning strong to gale force wind from the south currently 11c Grass fields greening up and late daffodils putting on a bit of growth though still not flowering in shaded areas.

Almost some of the worst dust storms I have looked down on in lower Morayshire just now, some really violent gusts currently. Some farmers have been spreading dung and slurry on newly sown crops to prevent soil wind blow but heard this morning that even that is being stripped off the fields.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Very windy in Embra - just walked across George Square and blown diagonally several times, and I'm no featherweight! Bright and sunny, but very, very windy...

(Does anyone else think of this thread every time they hear news re Venezuela's elections? I keep hearing "Big Innes Madori" and then realising they actually said "Nicolas Miduri" instead...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Almost some of the worst dust storms I have looked down on in lower Morayshire just now, some really violent gusts currently. Some farmers have been spreading dung and slurry on newly sown crops to prevent soil wind blow but heard this morning that even that is being stripped off the fields.

Hmmm....so the I need to control my language (oh my, the swear filter on here is rather touchy, even when you try to circumvent it. Think 4 letters starting with S, then H, and ending with T) is literally flying....glad I'm not in Morayshire at the moment.

In keeping with the general theme, here in Aberdeenshire/Dyce it's rather windy outside. On a more positive note it's also fairly bright and dry.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
Posted · Hidden by Ravelin, April 16, 2013 - Duplicate
Hidden by Ravelin, April 16, 2013 - Duplicate

Hmmm....so the I need to control my language (oh my, the swear filter on here is rather touchy. Think 4 letters starting with S, then H, ending with T) is literally flying....glad I'm not in Morayshire at the moment.

In keeping with the general theme, here in Aberdeenshire/Dyce it's rather windy outside. On a more positive note it's also fairly bright and dry.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Glencoe is holding up well but Lower access runs at Glenshee disappearing. The lecht is now a mess! My final Ski trip to Glencoe will probably be Sunday. Snow expected Thursday/Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Hi guys haven't been on for a while! How's everyone getting on?

Hi guys haven't been on for a while! How's everyone getting on?

I would say that everyone is enjoying a good blow today, but that might be taken the wrong way?!

Posted

Definitely the worst dust storms I have looked down. Sower here now restricted to north facing fields to give shelter but even here the dust is blowing badly. Going to be some very unhappy farmers in the area if this keeps up as it will eventually start stripping seed and sandblasting new shoots to death.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Definitely the worst dust storms I have looked down. Sower here now restricted to north facing fields to give shelter but even here the dust is blowing badly. Going to be some very unhappy farmers in the area if this keeps up as it will eventually start stripping seed and sandblasting new shoots to death.

Jeez, this is just never-ending. I mean, I know most farming has never been straightforward, dependable or majorly profitable, but this last year or so is just one long nightmare for farming, isn't it?

I really hope you get some settled weather of the right sort and SOON!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The Tay bridge is now closed to all vehicles. Must have topped 80 mph in the gusts around 12.30.

72mph is the max from the University site at 1230 exactly.

Posted

Any pictures? There is one specific mile or so of fields I sometimes pass on my way to Dundee which often has blown soil, might go for a look.

The Tay bridge is now closed to all vehicles. Must have topped 80 mph in the gusts around 12.30.

72mph is the max from the University site at 1230 exactly.

Didn't think it was that windy! Hopefully it dies back towards hometime.

Posted

It seems we slipped right back into autumn today with this wind/rain it's ferocious at times (tomorrow might not be much better so it would seem)

Posted

A quick couple of poorish  photos one showing neighbouring farms field blowingpost-2744-0-80809300-1366115555_thumb.jp the next showing cloud of dust above conifers several hundred feet high over Forrespost-2744-0-70399200-1366115628_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

A couple more photos almost catastrophic for the lower Nairnshirepost-2744-0-46942400-1366117013_thumb.jp and Morayshirepost-2744-0-77668200-1366116979_thumb.jp farms,   Forres invisible in this one.  Update; gusts must now be exceeding storm force as whole of Firth now invisible with only brief breaks in a wall of windblown topsoil. We are 7 miles form Forres and 5 miles inland from the Firth so these photos do not truly reflect conditions down there.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine

It seems we slipped right back into autumn today with this wind/rain it's ferocious at times (tomorrow might not be much better so it would seem)

I was thinking more summer, pools of standing water in the fields today.  Would say like winter hadn't happened but yesterday was the first day I've felt real warmth outside since... I couldnt actually remember its been that long.  Sometime last year though.  Now six months since I saw my first hill snow and five and a half since first winter mountain walk.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

PLZ PLZ PLZ let this come off later this year

november

post-18233-0-12759200-1366133695_thumb.ppost-18233-0-48871100-1366133709_thumb.p

december

post-18233-0-14549600-1366133742_thumb.ppost-18233-0-26540200-1366133750_thumb.p

would be nice n cold n snowy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Gosh BUS, we have the mild n rainy season to go first!

Really windy here on the north coast, some heavy prolonged showers too.  Most folk here have had a drenching at some point today.

Plant growth of the bogs & heaths probably a month behind now so plenty of hungry deer coming down to the lower green areas.

Posted

Another blow tomorrow.

Joy, and rain as well, just in time fir my jaunt to Scouse land again!!!

Picture from Nairn earlier by inlaws

551281_450121438407304_1673282300_n.jpg

Posted

Chance would be a fine thing.

Snow drifts to sand drifts, Scotland, full of surprises.

Posted

An utterly amazing day with a bank of sand cloud stretching from Inverness to Nairn to Elgin/Lossiemouth along the coast. We sowed any sheltered fields and then sower went off to a farm with wetter ground He"ll be back in the morning when its hopefully calmer.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine

Snow dirfts to sand drifts is right, maybe a need for more hedges to get the sand to drift in behind them? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snow dirfts to sand drifts is right, maybe a need for more hedges to get the sand to drift in behind them? 

Don't say that on the Black Isle, they like the fields as big as possible there.  Yee ha, watch that soil blow away!

Posted

Yeh crazy having sand storms in Scotland.Is there any weird weather we havent had this year.Oh Aye sun.