Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Sack BBC Scotland from doing ski reports. This weekend was the last one apparently:

Southern Cairngorms Outlook

This 5 day outlook issued at

18.50hrs Sun 7th Apr.

light-snow.png

Monday 8th April

FL: 1000ft. Light Snow

914m: -4°c SE 15 gust 25mph

light-snow.png

Tuesday 9th April

FL: 500ft. Light Snow

914m: -5°c SE 20 gust 35mph

snow-showers.png

Wednesday 10th April

FL: 1000ft. Snow Showers

914m: -4°c East 20-30mph

light-snow.png

Thursday 11th April

FL: 1000ft. Light Snow

914m: -4°c NE 20 gust 40mph

sun-snow-showers.png

Friday 12th April

FL: 1500ft. Snow Showers

914m: -3°c SE 10 gust 15mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Just watching the programme on BBC2 on 50 years of the Cairngorm MRT. Although I really appreciated these guys' work seeing some of the "on sight" action from February really hammers home just how dangerous the conditions can be at night or indeed in severe weather. They're just your matter of fact kind of guys, "just doing a job" but what a job. It must be rewarding and saddening at times but what a wonderful service and job they do.

Yes - times I get disheartened with the human race, or more frequently with this country, and then I think of mountain rescue teams and lifeboat crews, people who go voluntarily from their safe homes, out to the worst conditions on land or sea, in order to rescue people regardless of anything and everything. Then I feel that there is something very worthwhile in this species and in this country, and that there are people to whom 'altruism' and 'courage' are simply how they live...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Moderate snow coming off a SE'ly direction for the last 15 minutes in Aberdeen.

Posted

Moderate snow coming off a SE'ly direction for the last 15 minutes in Aberdeen.

And sunny again...

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Well that was a nice surprise this morning. 3cm of snow! smile.png

Good tae see that you're here safe and well Scotster! clapping.gif

"A search has resumed for a Fife Hillwalker who was reported missing on the Isle of Skye".help.gifsearch.gif

Big Innes

Posted

MOD thread showing possible pressure rises soon. Is this long cold about to finally be shifted?

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

MOD thread showing possible pressure rises soon. Is this long cold about to finally be shifted?

i would wait till closer to the timeframe as the models havent been right lately things were supposed to warm up by now but the models had the LP wrong and it tracked more south than first thought so we will just need to sit and watch what happens this time around

Posted

i would wait till closer to the timeframe as the models havent been right lately things were supposed to warm up by now but the models had the LP wrong and it tracked more south than first thought so we will just need to sit and watch what happens this time around

yep I still think the jury is oot.Still think there could be another snow event to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just had a passing shower of snow pellets. Shows the upper air is still cold. A mostly bright but cold day after a graupely (if there is such a word) start.

Posted

heres a look at the ECM/UKMO/GFS 12z

72h

post-18233-0-17855400-1365447920_thumb.gpost-18233-0-49183400-1365447928_thumb.gpost-18233-0-44605500-1365447937_thumb.p

96h

post-18233-0-03725500-1365447976_thumb.gpost-18233-0-36312900-1365447984_thumb.gpost-18233-0-34708800-1365447991_thumb.p

120h

post-18233-0-83998200-1365448023_thumb.gpost-18233-0-79808900-1365448031_thumb.gpost-18233-0-95761000-1365448039_thumb.p

clearly FI just now is between 72h and 96h so lets just say it is 84h so any warm up isnt nailed on yet and as we have just seen the models can get a LP systems track way off as they were saying we would be warming up just now so worth keeping an eye on.

again GFS is just a joke it cant even get itself right at 72h and has performed really poor most of the winter.

didnt look close enough was in a bit of a rush ECM/UKMO arent that far apart at 96h so say FI around then

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Another cold wintry sunset after flakes of snow all day, currently 1.5c. No sign of any real growth yet. Will really feel hot if this mild weather comes in at the weekend, although overnight temperatures for my local area on here for the next 2 weeks are not that good for fast growth

Posted

yep I still think the jury is oot.Still think there could be another snow event to come.

yeah i think thats a possibility aswell

eventually the colder uppers will have to go but look how many times the models have underestimated the fight the cold has put up towards the milder air so i would say its not a definate that the milder air will win out this time

Posted

yeh eventually even the polar regions run out of cold.Down here its not uncommon to get arctic air in June.Think cool sunny days with sub 5c at ight.I remember being at Hampden for a friendly once in June and being freezing cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Good tae see that you're here safe and well Scotster! clapping.gif

"A search has resumed for a Fife Hillwalker who was reported missing on the Isle of Skye".help.gifsearch.gif

Big Innes

Thanks :) Yep it's more sad news from the Highlands in an unusually bad year for hill fatalities. Fingers crossed that this one still has a happy outcome.

Posted

Another boring weather day here, nae Daffs, yet, but we can but hope. Was at Palacerigg yesterday and still plenty of snaw patches about.

Posted

A few more cold days to come but its looking more likely now that the embeded cold we've had in Scotland for a few weeks will move off as we go into the weekend. The continent is starting to warm up now and its unrealistic to expect the cold block to our east to not weaken. Given the deep cold in the polar regions just now its unlikely that there will be no more cold incursions as we go through the rest of April and into May. These are more likely to come from the north and north west moving forward.

We have the lightest of light dustings of snow here this morning, currently 2.5ºC after another air frost overnight.

I completely agree with Blizzardo's post above, the warm up is coming but it will not necessarily be a smooth transition to summer :good:

Posted

Another nice sunny start to the day at -2c.Really would like to get cattle out to grass now as feed running down usually 20th April is our average turnout date and the first 16c day maximum usually occurs about then with the swallows arriving too near this date but its a big ask this year with no grass growth to date and a May turnout more likely. Given the sea temperatures and also very low soil temperatures I think even with a very warm air source under clear skies ground frosts will never be very far away.

Posted

The words : "Rapid & Thaw" made my heart sink...I hope this is wrong!

Planning Outlook: All mountain areas of Britain from Thursday, 11th April, 2013

Remaining cold with areas of low cloud and mostly light snow, mainly on eastern mountains until Friday.

Rapid thaw will set in on all mountain areas this weekend, but there will be rain and constantly severe upland gales.

Further rain intermittently most of next week, and winds often gales force on higher areas. Continued thaw from S

Scotland southwards, whilst freeze-thaw cycles on higher Scottish summits.

Underfoot, extensively very dry, exceptionally so widely in western Scotland.

Forecast issued at 15:57 Tuesday, 09/04/13

Posted

Well, charts for Saturday/Sunday bring very warm tropical air via a rather deep low W of Ireland.

Temperatures at lower level look to be in the mid teens on Sunday afternoon, so I'd expect the snow to go away pretty fast.

I like snow too and we've been blessed a lot this year but we had to expect warmer temperatures at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Beautiful day in Perth but still a cold NE breeze. Max. today 8.2C with a Min. of -0.6C last night. Two daffies out here now - 2001 since they have been sooo late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

A few weeks ago I posted a photo of me sat in a rudimentary snow hole I happened upon in Fife. I returned to the same spot yesterday for the first time since all that heavy snow and drifting.......and found it had been enlarged somewhat smile.png Amazing what you can find if you stray from the tourist paths eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A dusting of snow pellets here this morning but the temps got up to 8.2C in the sunny spells later. Still a cold SE wind though.