Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

This is a bit late but congratulations to Lorenzo, glad you didn't have to dig yourself out to get to the hospital as you might have a week or two ago. Lovely outside now, still well below average but in the sun it feels pretty reasonable. At least the second half of winter has been relatively dry NL, hopefully that continues for the next few months but with increased temperature values and a lessening of the easterly winds.

Ground is sitting about 2c so no growth until it gets above 6c night and day. Ground is nice and dry now so good to sow into if it was not so cold. Grass is frosted brown(Skye where the sheep went home to yesterday is absolutely droughted as well and is yellow and brown according to the lorry driver) and again will not grow until it gets above 6c and ironically if it stays dry will soon be short of water as most grasses only root in the top inch or so. I am fascinated by this period of weather but the farmer in in me is getting fed up of it.

Ground is sitting about 2c so no growth until it gets above 6c night and day. Ground is nice and dry now so good to sow into if it was not so cold. Grass is frosted brown(Skye where the sheep went home to yesterday is absolutely droughted as well and is yellow and brown according to the lorry driver) and again will not grow until it gets above 6c and ironically if it stays dry will soon be short of water as most grasses only root in the top inch or so. I am fascinated by this period of weather but the farmer in in me is getting fed up of it.

How far behind would you say that you are on the farm now NL? I quite often listen to the farming update on Borders FM, but haven't heard it for a while due to changed shifts at work. It's usually quite an interesting little slot as you quickly realise how much of an impact farming has on all of us.

Posted

Doing some paperwork this afternoon so flicking to netweather occasionally. We are not too far behind as regards sowing about 2 weeks later than last year but our normal 20th of April turnout of cattle to grass will not happen as there will not be enough grass growth and will probably be about last years date of 17th May so almost a month late. I think I mentioned this yesterday but Scotgrass down in Dunfries has been cancelled from mid May as it will be early June before there is enough grass to harvest and demonstrate all the new machinery. So across Scotland the story is the same.

Doing some paperwork this afternoon so flicking to netweather occasionally. We are not too far behind as regards sowing about 2 weeks later than last year but our normal 20th of April turnout of cattle to grass will not happen as there will not be enough grass growth and will probably be about last years date of 17th May so almost a month late. I think I mentioned this yesterday but Scotgrass down in Dunfries has been cancelled from mid May as it will be early June before there is enough grass to harvest and demonstrate all the new machinery. So across Scotland the story is the same.

Thanks NL. My only reference point in the garden is that the snowdrops are still out and there is not a daffodil in sight, so some more insightful info is always welcome :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Thanks for all your messages everyone, very much appreciated.. LOL Cheggers I think you are right, may catch the odd 00z run rolling out over the next few months in the middle o the nicht !

Here is a picture of the wee guy Soaring Hawk..

post-7292-0-41622100-1365023596_thumb.jp

Mad rushing about everywhere, definitely looking forward to wetting the heid session at the weekend !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Am I the only old 'un to feel just a wee bit broody? blum.gif

Some very odd wet stuff coming outa the sky this afternoon, seemed to go splot, splat everywhere. Snow still above about 400m tho. Some of the frozen bogs are just starting to thaw in full sun now; the cotton-grasses have been trying to flower for about a month and are finally getting a move on, prob just as well as the hill deer like it for the first decent bite of spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Thanks for all your messages everyone, very much appreciated.. LOL Cheggers I think you are right, may catch the odd 00z run rolling out over the next few months in the middle o the nicht !

Here is a picture of the wee guy Soaring Hawk..

Mad rushing about everywhere, definitely looking forward to wetting the heid session at the weekend !

Thanks Lorenzo! He is adorable!! Oh, I wish......

Am I the only old 'un to feel just a wee bit broody? blum.gif

No, no you aren't. Oh, I wish.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

post-5195-0-02439000-1365109466_thumb.jp

Seems apt..?

Apologies if this has already been posted but just got it on facebook and it amused me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Holy s**t.

It's raining!

No idea when that last happened.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye, we just had a heavy rain shower here battering off the window.

Holy s**t.

It's raining!

No idea when that last happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Congrats Lorenzo! He is lovely! And of course well done to Mrs L for all the hard work. drinks.gif

Posted

Must admit lorenzo made me feel a little broody LOL

Sun trying to come out a bit here now. Should be another not bad day.

Just a matter of time. Clouds have mostly cleared. Another cracking afternoon

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Dunno about broody - I'm just starting to feel guilty at not having Done My Bit to add to the weathergeek population in here! Congrats to Lorenzo and MrsL and the two big sisters :)

Flew into Embra airport yesterday after work trip away - lots of light snow coverage visible in the region south and west of Embra, in the sunshine, except for one really dense patch of incredibly deep long-established snow near Lauder. I did wave, but I guess Scottish Skiier wasn't in his back garden as he didn't wave back... :)

Chilly and overcast here today. Last night I heard light rain on the window and, like others, thought, "blimey, when was the last time I heard that?". Even snowphiliac-me would quite like spring to arrive now please...

btw - anyone know how our Shetland Kilter is doing? Last heard of when his weather station got smashed by the weather and was happily replaced by internet-publicity-generosity, but I don't remember having heard from him in all the recent weather, and can't remember his name (sorry, Mr Gulberswick!) to look him up and see if he's just offline due to that harsh weather or what...

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

been having some busy days lately but atleast the weather has been nice and dry with some good spells of sunshine hopefully it can continue as its been a nice change to feel some strongish warming sunshine.

congratulations LORENZO he looks a wee cracker.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

lol.Just heard Kirstie on BBC Scotland saying this will b last skiing weekend!Someone better tell Glenshee.Enough snow for another month and more snow is comingcoming.Where do these folk get their info.

Posted

lol.Just heard Kirstie on BBC Scotland saying this will b last skiing weekend!Someone better tell Glenshee.Enough snow for another month and more snow is comingcoming.Where do these folk get their info.

Probably the same person who tells them there might be sleet at -5C.

Posted

Good chance this will be my last post of the winter 2013. Other interests to pass the summer before I return later this year. It's been fab as always. And great to be able to sign off by passing congratulations on to Lorenzo and family. Have a great summer with the new addition. All the best Lorenzo.

Posted

Yes, unless they know something about the ski season that I do not then it was a disgraceful statement at a very profitable and busy part of the current ski season. The statement was repeated in the Landward forecast in case people missed it the first time rond (although to be fair it was a recording of the previous forecast!)

Posted

After a brilliant day, the skies are darkening and golly it's getting cold

Posted

Smashing day here with wall to wall sunshine after a 0c start finishing with a 6c maximum. Noticed a few wintry looking showers way to the north with pink puffy clouds at dusk. Came in and saw them on the radar, currently 1c

Posted

Yes, unless they know something about the ski season that I do not then it was a disgraceful statement at a very profitable and busy part of the current ski season. The statement was repeated in the Landward forecast in case people missed it the first time rond (although to be fair it was a recording of the previous forecast!)

Well I am off to Glenshee tomorrow.The forecast is snow mon,tues,wed.They have full cover so that would be some mighty thaw next Friday!acute.gif