Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Who else has woken up to 2" of snow? Looks December out there.

I alsopost-2744-0-08662000-1365313056_thumb.jp Currently 0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Pretend slow motion snow here this morning., nothing is splendid as further North, although snow is well known in April, seems really bizarre to see so much of it. I reckon now that most folks would happily see the back of Winter !!

So odd seeing the trees still completely bare of any foliage

Couple of Atlantic Beasties on this morning Sat rep. Signs of it finally stirring from the March / April shut down and slumber, our one on approach and another more developed system twirling away off Greenland. ECM delivers another similar system in the next week.

post-7292-0-87185900-1365319240_thumb.gi post-7292-0-83311300-1365318953_thumb.pn

An FI chart this morning from the 00z GFS, I know this is plucked from lower res but merely to illustrate a solution, trend that has been coming an going on the charts, an azores ridge drifting up over the UK moving to a Scandi High for the final third of the month.

post-7292-0-64341300-1365319131_thumb.pn

Atlantic and the Jet looking a little more resurgent now - Certainly a month of transition.

Posted

Pretend slow motion snow here this morning., nothing is splendid as further North, although snow is well known in April, seems really bizarre to see so much of it. I reckon now that most folks would happily see the back of Winter !!

So odd seeing the trees still completely bare of any foliage

Couple of Atlantic Beasties on this morning Sat rep. Signs of it finally stirring from the March / April shut down and slumber, our one on approach and another more developed system twirling away off Greenland. ECM delivers another similar system in the next week.

post-7292-0-87185900-1365319240_thumb.gi post-7292-0-83311300-1365318953_thumb.pn

An FI chart this morning from the 00z GFS, I know this is plucked from lower res but merely to illustrate a solution, trend that has been coming an going on the charts, an azores ridge drifting up over the UK moving to a Scandi High for the final third of the month.

post-7292-0-64341300-1365319131_thumb.pn

Atlantic and the Jet looking a little more resurgent now - Certainly a month of transition.

There does look like there's a bit more energy coming our way that will be a big test for the cold pooling. Going through the models this morning it's also interesting to note that the cold uppers over Scotland have been extended by another day again and its probably Friday now before they move north of the mainland.

The initial projected end to this cold spell was 29th March as shown on the GFS ensembles below and we are now looking at the 12th April according to the latest set this morning.

post-9135-0-93531400-1365320981_thumb.pn

post-9135-0-37613900-1365321019_thumb.pn

It cant go on for ever but its been quite a remarkable cold spell.

Posted

Snow lying here on the Banffshire coast not much just a cm or so but enough to stop me putting my onions and tatties in.....................getting well scunnered now!

Posted

A couple more photos from this morning. One showing the stone pilepost-2744-0-46641700-1365323142_thumb.jp picked in the last week and one showing across the Firth post-2744-0-94215500-1365323166_thumb.jpto Hairy Celt who I think must have some snow this morning judging by the snow covered cliffs on his side. Glad I kept the barley seed in the bag as it would not do much in the cold soils just now. Will have to make an effort to sow it at the end of next week before its too late. Currently 0.5c

Posted

Cloudy with light rain and feeling raw at 2.8c.

Had a pleasant few days before today though - which was ideal with family visiting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Sleet here atm 2.3C/1.3C. Wouldn't think it was wall to wall sunshine yesterday and 11.9C.

It looks and feels more like November out there than it does April. A rather chilly 4.5ºC with low brightish cloud. It has to end sometime, but winter is holding on by very strong fingertips.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

bbc weather just said about chance of snow for central and southern scotland later in the week and she used that word 'significant'

Posted

A couple more photos from this morning. One showing the stone pilepost-2744-0-46641700-1365323142_thumb.jp picked in the last week and one showing across the Firth post-2744-0-94215500-1365323166_thumb.jpto Hairy Celt who I think must have some snow this morning judging by the snow covered cliffs on his side. Glad I kept the barley seed in the bag as it would not do much in the cold soils just now. Will have to make an effort to sow it at the end of next week before its too late. Currently 0.5c

Still snowing here with big lazy slow falling flakes and currently 2c under dull skies. Really craving some warmth now but it looks at least another week away

Posted

Not the obvious warm up this week as expected so it seems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sleet. 2.1C. Not very nice.

bbc weather just said about chance of snow for central and southern scotland later in the week and she used that word 'significant'

Hi BUS, how's tricks? I looked at the BBC Scotland forecast online but it's still last night's forecast, what's that all about? I take it the mention of snow was just at the end of the forecast?

Sleet. 2.1C. Not very nice.

I was going to Like your post, but couldn't bring myself to do it. There's only one thing worse than sleet at 2.1ºC and that's rain at 1ºC (or lower) :lol:

Not the obvious warm up this week as expected so it seems

Maybe by later in the week? I had to laugh at the local radio the other day when they started on about how the weather was going to be milder this coming week, there's going to be some disappointed people out there :(

Posted

aye no bad no been on alot lately as had things to get done that i couldnt while car was off the road.

she was running through the days at the end part of the forecast and she did show snow over many parts of scotland i dont know what model they are taking there forecast from but i am assuming it will come from this setup

post-18233-0-12645100-1365337902_thumb.ppost-18233-0-34090500-1365337907_thumb.ppost-18233-0-82992100-1365337912_thumb.ppost-18233-0-31485000-1365337919_thumb.p

she was running through the days at the end part of the forecast and she did show snow over many parts of scotland i dont know what model they are taking there forecast from but i am assuming it will come from this setup

It could be an interesting week ahead but we'll see what happens. There is still a lot of cold air around so anything is possible in the next few weeks. I've got my kids down from tomorrow until Saturday, some nice weather would have been good to get out and about with them but it's looking unlikely now. Having said that they're all boys and don't really feel the cold if they're out playing or tramping around.

Posted

It could be an interesting week ahead but we'll see what happens. There is still a lot of cold air around so anything is possible in the next few weeks. I've got my kids down from tomorrow until Saturday, some nice weather would have been good to get out and about with them but it's looking unlikely now. Having said that they're all boys and don't really feel the cold if they're out playing or tramping around.

aye well it might give u one last chance before next winter to get them out sledging or building snowmen.

i dont think i will see very much at mine too close to sea level but u should see something with your elevation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

GFS show some heavy precipitation Wed/Thu from the low SW of Ireland tracking east too.

Unsure about snow yet and Scotland specifically, I'll need to dig deeper into it.

Never ending story, feels like...

Edited by FrenchScotPilot1

Posted

i so wish i could post in the model thread would be good to go in there and wind them all up just now that while we are still seeing some winter through this week they are going to get a soaking rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

i so wish i could post in the model thread would be good to go in there and wind them all up just now that while we are still seeing some winter through this week they are going to get a soaking rofl.gif

You mean the Englanshire lads, what stops you ;)

Posted

You mean the Englanshire lads, what stops you tease.gif

i've been barred from posting in the model thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A bit heavier here just now and turned back to snow.