Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

The past few days have been pretty uninspiring and under-par for May standards, but at long there could be some warmth and sunshine later today but sadly it won't last with unsettled weather returning. This year Spring has been really weird, despite some recovery in the countryside after that amazing March, nature still seems to be behind schedule. Perhaps a spell of fantastic May weather such as that spell in May last year and back in 2008 and 2000 could balance out Spring 2013 but looking at the models it doesn't seem likely at this stage. 

The past few days have been pretty uninspiring and under-par for May standards, but at long there could be some warmth and sunshine later today but sadly it won't last with unsettled weather returning. This year Spring has been really weird, despite some recovery in the countryside after that amazing March, nature still seems to be behind schedule. Perhaps a spell of fantastic May weather such as that spell in May last year and back in 2008 and 2000 could balance out Spring 2013 but looking at the models it doesn't seem likely at this stage. 

Aye, a great day ahead for some parts today and then normal service is resumed. ECM/GFS not looking the best for settled weather, the outlook on the CFS for summer is warm but wet in the west, warm and average rainfall in the east.  

Edit: Quite a surprise to see a reasonable frost this morning, temperature has been recorded as low as 0.8ºC/-0.1ºC overnight. Currently 1.3ºC so potential for a pretty large diurnal temperature range today :good:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Nice dull humid afternoon superb growing day currently 14c. Got 50% of garden sown up and it is now spitting rain

A lot of sea fog out in the Firth yesterday afternoon and has rolled inland this morning may get a lot of this in the next few months during warm spells with such a cold sea. Currently 7c

Posted

Growth approximately a month behind here with a lot of extra feeding needed for livestock .Cereal harvest already compromised with lower yields expected. Midsummer not far away and then the days will shorten and we are on our way back to winter

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Braw sunny morning here, overnight low of 6.2c, currently 9c and looks to be a scorcher later on, might even reach the dizzy heights of 18c this afternoon!

Biting the bullet and sowing peas, beetroot and carrot today cos' if I keep putting it off any longer I'm not going to have anything this year.  

Frightening thought about Midsummer being just round the corner, even just in my wee garden everything is well behind (leeks like thin blades of grass and tatties not showing) so from a farming/agricultural point of view you must be depressingly aware of the clock ticking on the growing season.

Posted

So glorious out there just now. Hard to believe there's a threat of showers this afternoon...............

I think my weather station is wonky, it's giving a reading of 21.1ºC/8.2ºC. No way it's that warm. I noticed this when I first got it, in direct sunlight it seems to be getting a bit of extra heat from somewhere. I blamed the gravel path next to the weather station, but it was the same when we had snow cover through March.

It's still a cracking day though, out of the breeze. It seems to be a feature of living here, it's almost always a little breezy. I never thought a small bit of altitude would matter but wind free days are few and far between.

Posted

Hi all

Been hibernating but interesting weather again (to me) so resurfaced.  A cracking 3 or 4 days here so far.  Weekend I think sun never broke out properly until lunchtime.  But we were nudging 20C in the garden, I think 18C in the city.  Not bad for any time of the year.  Today after haar quickly cleared it is nice.  Slight wind from sea I think as feels cooler, but still very nice, Garden suggesting 19C, 17C in the city.

For once the weather was over a holiday weekend!  Family on Lewis few days back were reporting snow, while we were basking in sun.  

May usually delivers, hopefully the rest of the summer does too this year!

Dare I say it but the garden could actually do with some rain.  Cant see anything too wet in the forecast, but generally more coudy and unsettled after today is my take.

cheers

Posted

Cloud's filled in as expected but so far it looks like just 1 of those sunny start/cloudier rest of the day type of days. Don't look like the type of cloud where downpours are going to brew.............yet!

Posted

The airport has recorded 20C for the first time this year! It's been a long time waiting though as the last time was late August. A stunning morning earlier but now clouds are starting to bubble up so I wouldn't be surprised if there is some thunder late. It's shame that the first taste of summer weather will be gone before my birthday tomorrow.

Posted

Clouds disappearing again a bit so unlikely I would say that showers will brew now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

At last glorious sunshine, on first day back to work today after over a month off .I am a weather jinx !!

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Yup, very nice day but wish it had happened yesterday! There seems to be a reasonable amount of convection building so probably still a chance of an isolated shower or 2 forming.

Posted

What's that sneaky little red dot I wonder..............

EDIT: Ignore it's disappeared LOL

Edited by NUT

Posted

What's that sneaky little red dot I wonder..............

EDIT: Ignore it's disappeared LOL

Not checked the radar yet but visually it looked like a shower was forming over the pentlands.

Posted

Not checked the radar yet but visually it looked like a shower was forming over the pentlands.

It did look as if it was pretty heavy (if it was a shower) might have been anaprop but was gone via next update (got a extra subscription) ;)

Lovely cracking end to the day any cloud totally disappeared

Posted

Does 4 drops of rain count as a shower? :p

Posted

What a glorious day. Saw sunset driving doon M74, and saw car record 23.5c on route back passing Lancaster. dirol.gif

Cracking sunset this evening once home.

post-2849-0-68349300-1367960509_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-72711500-1367960511_thumb.jp

PS, Front page of the Record the morn..

936160_465754973493875_1925616256_n.jpg

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny all day here but a little bit hazy at times. The Easterly breeze kept the edge off the temps a little but the max of 17.9C was still the warmest since the 8th September. Bit more of a Southerly breeze now with some jagged clouds. 11.7C

Posted

Oh well our 1 day of summer was nice yesterday while it lasted. :p (well spring) might aswell call it summer :p Rain's started (and might be with us for quite a few days to come)

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Oh yes the Jakies were out in Falkirk's Callander park last night. You would think they had never seen the sun before!

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Oh well our 1 day of summer was nice yesterday while it lasted. blum.gif (well spring) might aswell call it summer blum.gif Rain's started (and might be with us for quite a few days to come)

Yes, someone said it would be on a Tuesday this year.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

time for my next solar update last month was certainly an uptick on activity and the sun is still active just now

Daily Sun: 07 May 13

spacer.gif

hmi200.gif

spacer.gif

Sunspot AR1739 poses a threat for Earth-directed M-class solar flares. Credit: SDO/HMI

spacer.gif

red_left_markerline.jpg

spacer.gif

Sunspot number: 118

it is looking like this month the sun is on course so far to be more active than last month as the average so far is running above last months average which was officially 112.8 and so far this month the average is running at 132 and the sun is still producing areas of activity as u can see from the pic below

post-18233-0-74786800-1368025033_thumb.j

this bit below is the chart showing the monthly averages through the solar cycle and firstly i have to apologise as i stated in my last post about this that the sun last month was as active as it was during its last peak as i was using the SWPC numbers but didnt realise this chart used the numbers from the S.I.D.C in brussels so last month didnt come near the last peak but if this month continues how it has been going we might get close to it at the end of this month

post-18233-0-80771000-1368025266_thumb.g

we are definatly in the second peak phase and with it happening now i reckon we will be finished with the peak and back to lower levels of activity by maybe august-september timescale

Posted

There has been an explosion of growth in the last few days but I am glued to the outlook forecasts on here to see when I could put the cattle out full time as if it suddenly turns cold it can lead to pneumonias and grass staggers(severe shortage of magnesium leading to collapse and loss of cattle.) We supply lots of magnesium minerals at this time of year. Even the beech hedge is coming into leaf.

Outlook tonight does not look great.

Posted

Agree NL, things starting to look very green now. Today was not as bad as expected, one really heavy shower was all we got really, now dry clear and chilly!