Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No snow in evidence here. At 9am it was around 7DegC, sunny but a cold brisk wind.

Although it's been OK here the last week or so It'd be nice for that chart Lorenzo posted to come off as I'd welcome a bit of warmth for a change. That would probably coincide with my prediction from the "kids football weather model" i.e. when my sons team finally manage to complete the succession of previously postponed fixtures (should take another week or two at the current rate of 2-3 games per week) the weather is bound to warm up! 

Posted

Slight dusting on the hills here (and my dad did say he saw snow falling earlier this morning) May huh? rofl.gif

Posted

Can concur here about fresh snow on all the hills above about 2000 feet    Currently sunny here with wintry showers to the west and 6c. A non farming neighbour this morning was saying a  1975 repeat would be nice with snow on the Ist of June and 80F  a week later and more or less for the rest of the summer.

Posted

Just been out to the shops. Car display was showing 4c with heavy sleet! Brutal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Very stormy here at the moment. Still dry and about 5c.

Posted

Car was showing 2.5c at 3.30pm in a sleet/hail/wet snow downpour. I'm going to crack up if this endlessly crap spring doesn't break soon! Ohh... Yes... I suppose we had Tuesday lol

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Car was showing 2.5c at 3.30pm in a sleet/hail/wet snow downpour. I'm going to crack up if this endlessly crap spring doesn't break soon! Ohh... Yes... I suppose we had Tuesday lol

I hope those words don't become prophetic for the foreseeable - I will not be best pleased if we are still recalling That Tuesday in late July. rolleyes.gif blum.gif I'm clinging to Lorenzo's ECM glimmer!

(Just to add my folks apparently had snow as well this morning, though melted in the early morning sun very quickly.)

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Had a bit of a Cheggers-day, round trip to Embra then the commute to the north coast. All weathers, crazy winds in places, torrential showers, snow between Slochd and Drumochter early morning, hail, but I did enjoy it all being in my nice new toy. Best bit was thick steam rising from the road near Dalwhinnie.

Not sure I dare look at tomorrow's weather, I'll be out in it most of the day...blink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Can concur here about fresh snow on all the hills above about 2000 feet    Currently sunny here with wintry showers to the west and 6c. A non farming neighbour this morning was saying a  1975 repeat would be nice with snow on the Ist of June and 80F  a week later and more or less for the rest of the summer.

*blinks* <<breaks estivation>>  I'd take that analogue right now. Max of 7.4ºC here today. Mid-May! Aside from the three days last weekend, Spring AWOL. A long time since we've had one as cool/cold as this one.

Really, really hoping we do see a repeat of 1975. Can start the summer anytime you like, weathergods. 

Hope all well, fellow kilters. See you all again after the clocks go back - unless we get snow in June or suchlike (he joked...) ;-)> 

<<returns to estivation>>

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

Beginning to feel like deja vu when compared to last spring with the likelihood of temperatures below plant growing levels every night for the rest of the week here . Currently very windy here and 5c a real November night.

Even skiing carrying on on Cairngorm mirrors last year and fresh snow up there too as last May. 

UK agriculture will take a big hit this year if we do not get an average growing summer this year.  Winter wheat ,barley and oilseed rape in this area are all looking thin and poor, spring sown cereals so far appear to be better looking.  Excess rain could be a problem  for the south of the UK tomorrow

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Glencoe got a fair bit of snow overnight with heavy drifting in the strong winds too and snow showers are rattling in this morning, so can't see a lot on the webcams at present. NMM still suggests CairnGorm's time will come this afternoon and over the next couple of days!!

Posted

Got over an inch of rain overnight but the showers are now shorter & lighter. Pretty windy tho!

Warming up from the weekend onwards perhaps...

Posted

Copied this across from the summer 2013 thread as I felt it would be appropriate here.

"A casual observation looking back at the seventies and the   nineties with my own kids May seemed to be the best month  of the year as we were all at higher and o level exams in Scotland and had to revise inside in great outside weather. This was invariably followed by a fairly warm dry June which often became thundery at the end as the good weather broke down.  Summers seem to be on a different track since 2006."

Currently wet and 5c another miserable evening after a fairly nice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Anyone fancy adding a caption to this wee pic from Glasgow.. blink.png

post-7292-0-76362400-1368563110_thumb.jp

Posted

Chris Hadfield's ISS version of Space Oddity on video is well worth a watch... entranced, I was, entranced.

Oh, and it's absolutely hammering down again.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well we've had some pleasent 14'C sunshine, 2'C and rain / snow, hail, storm-like rain, blazing sunshine in 11'C with a very chilling NW wind and still, dull weather with a temp of 8'C; an interesting May so far.

For the north and west of the country there's some cracking weather to come though, and some great weather for the rest. It's looking like a glimpse of summer, not simply spring, come early next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Rab is this for sure? I get paid (yaaay thankugod) on Tues and am desperate for a few days oot, I fancied Plockton. If this forum thinks it will be nice up there then I'll book. Because I have faith in you lot.

rofl.gif

Well we've had some pleasent 14'C sunshine, 2'C and rain / snow, hail, storm-like rain, blazing sunshine in 11'C with a very chilling NW wind and still, dull weather with a temp of 8'C; an interesting May so far.

For the north and west of the country there's some cracking weather to come though, and some great weather for the rest. It's looking like a glimpse of summer, not simply spring, come early next week!

I think "glimpse" might be the key word though? The ECM has cooler uppers moving in from the NW from mid-week onwards, GFS seems to nudge the cooler uppers further north and east.

Random thought for the day is that it was snowing here a year ago today (before I lived here but I drove within a few miles of here). There was settled snow on Soutra, although only on the highest parts :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Yea last Spring was dire as well, I still haven't thawed oot yet.

Posted

Looks to be loads of showers around today but not that many actually hitting us can see all over the skies the showery nature of the cloud though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Rab is this for sure? I get paid (yaaay thankugod) on Tues and am desperate for a few days oot, I fancied Plockton. If this forum thinks it will be nice up there then I'll book. Because I have faith in you lot.

rofl.gif

Looking quite likely I'd say, certainly Monday and Tuesday might be very good in Plockton, but further than that is still very much in the balance. I'll try update you closer to the time :)

I think "glimpse" might be the key word though? The ECM has cooler uppers moving in from the NW from mid-week onwards, GFS seems to nudge the cooler uppers further north and east.

Yes, glimpse is certainly the operative word, but then just two or three days of dry, fairly warm, sunny weather would be quite sufficient for me given recent conditions! 

Looks to be loads of showers around today but not that many actually hitting us can see all over the skies the showery nature of the cloud though

The new mothercatch-in-law called us earlier for a chat and said it had been raining for hours but it's been dry here most of the day. They are only fifteen miles away :lol: Currently a barnstorming 9.2ºC but not feeling anything like it in the breeze!!

NorthernRab: Aye, a couple of days would be smashing right now :good: