Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 7th May 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Afternoon all. smile.png

Pretty drab here too, unfortunately. At least yesterday was sunny and warm.

I too am looking forward to the first sustained period of warmth this year; God only knows when it'll happen though! The optimist in me is thinking that we are on the right side of the summer period, so it shouldn't be long. I'd be pretty depressed if we were getting all this cloud in August and thinking about lengthening nights.

It's supposed to be snowing in the Pennines on Thursday...

I'm not winding you up, because weather geeks will remember that Yorkshire snow in June 1976 (yes really) was followed by THE legendary summer of all time. I remember every night was BBQ night - you just couldn't cook inside as it felt wrong, so after college, we'd have a party in someone's back garden. Just maybe.........

Edited by Iceni

Posted

PPVE89.gif?31415

tomorrow

a chilly northerly flow

the odd shower around but overall looks mainly dry

temps around 12-14 degrees

sunny intervals is probably the best wording

PPVG89.gif?31415

tomorrow night

a chilly northerly flow

some showers around possibly heavy

temps around 6-8 degrees

poss mist and fog on coastlines

PPVI89.gif?31415

wednesday

a chilly northerly flow

temps around 14 degrees

should stay dry and potentially sunny

PPVJ89.gif?31415

wednesday night

again a chilly northerly to north westerly flow

some light showers overnight

temps could drop quite low (3 degrees rural) a tad higher to the far south due to rain holding the temps up a tad

PPVK89.gif?31415

thursday

a chilly and more noticeable north westerly wind

dry am but some light showers pm

note we are under 528 dam air

temps around 8-10 degrees and feeling raw bad.gif

PPVM89.gif?31415

friday

a chilly east to north east flow

rain around for most of the day and some heavy

temps around 12-14 degrees

PPVO89.gif?31415

saturday

a strong north easterly flow

looks dry and sunny but will feel cold in the wind

temps around 14-16 degrees

sunday on ukmo

UW144-21.GIF?20-19

a cold north easterly flow

the odd shower but mainly dry

temps tagged again around 12 degrees and a tad lower on east facing coasts

looking further ahead

nao.mrf.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

looks likely to head positive as we head into june so the jet should head to our north

fingers crossed good.gif

Guest bjaykent

Just can't seem to shake the northerly element in the wind direction, been there for months now and yet again CET is running negative this month, great in the winter months but becoming a bit tiresome as we head towards summer.

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html.

Overcast and around 11c here at the moment with the wind, you guessed it from the north!

Have a nice daysmile.png

Posted

So glad I didn't win a place on NWTV's annual Storm Chase competition this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10070034/Oklahoma-City-tornado-disaster-declared-as-scores-found-dead.html

Why only 16 minutes' warning? Yes I know it could have touched down anywhere, but it was a mile wide - surely everyone in a 50 mile radius of its track should have been alerted.

Posted

How to describe today? You choose:

Grey.chart.gif

Guest bjaykent

So glad I didn't win a place on NWTV's annual Storm Chase competition this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10070034/Oklahoma-City-tornado-disaster-declared-as-scores-found-dead.html

Why only 16 minutes' warning? Yes I know it could have touched down anywhere, but it was a mile wide - surely everyone in a 50 mile radius of its track should have been alerted.

I must admit I have my reservations about storm chasing in the US, I know they need to be studied to improve warning times but sometimes it does just seem like watching the Christians being thrown to the lions to me.

Posted

The terribly sad news from Moore, OK tends to put things in perspective doesn't it ?  As far as I have been able to determine all the known UK chasers out there have been accounted for and are safe. One of them, Nathan Edwards was within half a mile of the scene at the time, and has posted photo's over on the UKww ( UK weather world ) website. Glad to hear they are all ok, but heartfelt sympathies to all those less fortunate.  sad.png

Posted

On a slightly lighter note........something odd  occurred overnight and the rotation of planet earth appears to have gone into reverse. Its the only explanation I can think of. 

Since I woke up at 7am this morning the day has become increasingly dark and the temperature has shown an hourly drop here from a very mild 15.9c at midnight to its current 12.1c and is still falling. This may also explain the fact that this 'Spring' has in fact morphed into Autumn. The 4-5 hours of Summer on Sunday afternoon was nice while it lasted though.  mega_shok.gif

Posted

The 4-5 hours of Summer on Sunday afternoon was nice while it lasted though.  mega_shok.gif

Imagine how you'd feel if you didn't even get those brief moments of sun though - I can sad.png

Posted

The terribly sad news from Moore, OK tends to put things in perspective doesn't it ?  As far as I have been able to determine all the known UK chasers out there have been accounted for and are safe. One of them, Nathan Edwards was within half a mile of the scene at the time, and has posted photo's over on the UKww ( UK weather world ) website. Glad to hear they are all ok, but heartfelt sympathies to all those less fortunate.  sad.png

Absolutely agree. Like some other extreme sports or hobbies, there's a thin line between putting yourself in danger (in the path of a storm - literally) for fun and excitement and putting those who might have to rescue you in danger. It's why mountaineers compose their rescue teams from fellow mountaineers.

I'd imagine the Oklahoma emergency services have far too many other problems to contend with today. 91 confirmed dead already. Terrible.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I must admit I have my reservations about storm chasing in the US, I know they need to be studied to improve warning times but sometimes it does just seem like watching the Christians being thrown to the lions to me.

Well as one who is nowadays wary of even our IMBY thunderstorms, then this kind of tragedy doesn't start to compare...obviously...sad.png  My first instinct yesterday evening was to think that this tornado developed just like the Joplin one a year or so back and I'll never forget a very distressing video I saw of people bunkered down in terror right under that and then emerging to see that everything outside had been literally obliterated sad.png  It does seem to have been the case again that this supercell storm and tornado detonated like a bomb from nothing within an hour. An explanantion why even the best surveillance would mean that the people would only have had a very short time indeed to be be warned of it.

Is it possible to imagine how it would be (hypothetically) if something similar evolved in one of our regions over here and how the METO would respond to it ?help.gif ...we best count ourselves lucky that even though we can get destructive weather, we never get anything like on this scale

On that type of much more benign note, then the morning is cloudy and still a little damp outside from yesterdays rain which took until late afternoon to clear up. Looks like an extra layer will still be required as the cool and changeable weather continues for some while yet.

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all (just I know) rolleyes.gif

It's been a very emotional week all round really - the live streams from Oklahoma were horrific viewing last night especially hearing so many children from the school in Moore had died sad.png

I was so relieved to hear the NW team were safe....it hasn't put me off wanting to chase one year, it's still on my to do list before I die...hopefully just not the last thing I do before I die, I'd like to be close to a tornado but not that close.

No matter how bad things seem here I would rather put up with a grey day like today than have suffered at the hands of such devastating forces of nature !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well as one who is nowadays wary of even our IMBY thunderstorms, then this kind of tragedy doesn't start to compare...obviously...sad.png  My first instinct yesterday evening was to think that this tornado developed just like the Joplin one a year or so back and I'll never forget a very distressing video I saw of people bunkered down in terror right under that and then emerging to see that everything outside had been literally obliterated sad.png  It does seem to have been the case again that this supercell storm and tornado detonated like a bomb from nothing within an hour. An explanantion why even the best surveillance would mean that the people would only have had a very short time indeed to be be warned of it.

Is it possible to imagine how it would be (hypothetically) if something similar evolved in one of our regions over here and how the METO would respond to it ?help.gif ...we best count ourselves lucky that even though we can get destructive weather, we never get anything like on this scale

On that type of much more benign note, then the morning is cloudy and still a little damp outside from yesterdays rain which took until late afternoon to clear up. Looks like an extra layer will still be required as the cool and changeable weather continues for some while yet.

True enough. But it is impossible to pinpoint the precise location of where any particular tornado will touch down...So, apart from warn folks of possible danger, I don't know what the UK Met could do...

Posted

Hmmm, thought I'd been turfed out for good just then, not the only time.....

Posted

Good, it wasn't just me then that couldn't get on line...  was starting to panic! help.gif

Posted

Imagine how you'd feel if you didn't even get those brief moments of sun though - I can sad.png

But Robin.....you live on what is officially known as the Sunshine Coast.....Ive seen that road sign as you drive into Eastbourne wink.png

Posted

But Robin.....you live on what is officially known as the Sunshine Coast.....Ive seen that road sign as you drive into Eastbourne wink.png

I think the Council have not paid the bill or something and they've cut the supply of sun off?

Posted

Server seems to be playing up at the moment ?

I can however confirm that the temperature here has soared to 12.3c, but its still dark enough outside to need the lights on indoors. Its not even funny anymore is it ?   sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Afternoon all. Sombre weather here for a sombre weather news day.sad.png

I've become more ambivalent to the idea of tornado chasing, as I've got older. On balance I'd probably do it, but would want to see one barreling along the open plains only.

I don't even watch the storm chase programmes any more. I remember watching one, where the person recording the scene, seemed to take too much delight in a farmhouse being pulverised. I'd personally have derived a certain pleasure if the farmer had appeared and delivered him a swift right hander...ph34r.png

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Afternoon all. Sombre weather here for a sombre weather news day.sad.png

Got caught out on the lunchtime bike ride as it was much colder than I was expecting. Sky is still dark and filthy grey though :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Afternoon each. Well.....winter drawers on again folks. :D It's ruddy cold and bleak in Ippy today and I've gone back to me winter wooly.

Guest bjaykent

Twitter was of some use in telling me the Netweather server was down, finally it has a purpose LOL. Still grey and breezy here, washing not drying on the line today. Temp not changed since 6.00am this morning, pegged with the washing at 11.5c.smile.png

Posted

Hi all,

What an incredibly sad and sobering event in Oklahoma. Those poor, poor people. My life has been very difficult recently, but it's nothing compared to this terrible tragedy.

I'm glad the N/W Team are safe, thank goodness