Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 7th May 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Good morning all, I hope everyone had a good weekend. Yesterday ended suprisingly well here in the end with several hours of warmish sunshine from late afternoon into the evening, but the cloud and gloom is back again this morning, with a little light rain earlier.

The prospects for the rest of the week look mixed, but no sign of any heatwave on the horizon. Have a good week.

Posted

Drove to the office around the M25 through thick drizzle.  (As sentences go it's hard to think of anything less inspiring than that one!)

Now dry here in Harefield but monotone grey sky.  The forecast suggested some sunshine this afternoon for our area possibly setting off some showers as temperatures rise to about 18/19c.  I will take some showers as a trade off for the sun and, Coast, it sounds as if you would do likewise after your weekend? 

Next weekend looking cool and mostly dry from what I can see, but I can't generally get a forecast right even 30 minutes ahead let alone 5 days!

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

I will take some showers as a trade off for the sun and, Coast, it sounds as if you would do likewise after your weekend? 

Yeah, sorry to sound so down about it, just mounts up on you over time and I've suddenly realised what I've been missing.

Posted

^^ Totally understandable Robin. I think a lot of us are getting fed up with this mostly dreary and below par spring now mate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Seriously when can we expect some better weather?

My veg garden is suffering terribly so a lot of time and money is going to waste, we've had to cancel days out and BBQ's because of the weather and it's all just rather depressing! I should be able to sit out in my garden with friends and family until it gets dark enjoying the warmth, some grilled food and a few drinks. Not hiding under a blanket in mid May!

I do love weather in all its forms but this isn't even weather, it's just grey nothingness. It is getting beyond a joke. :(

Posted

Anyone brave enough to give me a forecast for London on the evening of 1st June?? :-)

Posted

coast does it look wet and cold

I imagine we are talking weather here?... When and where?

Anyone brave enough to give me a forecast for London on the evening of 1st June?? :-)

Too far away to be even slightly accurate I'm afraid.

Posted

Hi SE'ies - hope all of you are well?

A lovely day here yesterday, we were forecast 12c and ended up at 18.4c with lots of sunshine! Today is definitely not so nice..why can't we have some storms forecast like the north of the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Afternoon all. :)

Pretty drab here too, unfortunately. At least yesterday was sunny and warm.

I too am looking forward to the first sustained period of warmth this year; God only knows when it'll happen though! The optimist in me is thinking that we are on the right side of the summer period, so it shouldn't be long. I'd be pretty depressed if we were getting all this cloud in August and thinking about lengthening nights.

Posted

Afternoon All,

Like others have said, the weather is dull, depressing and damp today!  It is a bit humid though - if the sun breaks out later (and this is a BIG if) is there are chance of heavy thundery showers?

Posted

if the sun breaks out later (and this is a BIG if) is there are chance of heavy thundery showers?

Not really here SR, I think we are getting too late in the day for any sun now and not enough of the things we need for storms in this part of the World.

Looking further ahead, all I can see is rain and alternate dry days this week, not too much sunshine and no storms to get excited about. There's a tiny peak on Thursday night on the Free Atmosphere chart for London, but it doesn't look enough to be of any use to us currently:

MU_London_avn.png

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Split up with my long term girlfriend a couple of days ago so this weather is not very welcome at all!

Posted

Split up with my long term girlfriend a couple of days ago so this weather is not very welcome at all!

Very sorry to hear that PS, I hope your outlook and the weather improve - I'm feeling the pain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Dull and miserable in Ippy in all respects. :( *sigh*

Have a good day everyone. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The sun is out, temp up to 17...

Posted

The sun is trying hard to break through the Harefield cloud layer and, in fact, in breaking news I can reveal that as I am typing this it has made it and we now have......

post-3098-0-75433500-1369057723_thumb.pn

Shadows!

AS

Edit:  and in an outbreak of stage fright they have gone again.....

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

Shadows!

AS

Edit:  and in an outbreak of stage fright they have gone again.....

I only have David Gray here and he's been 'on stage' for what seems like months :(

david-gray.jpg

Posted

^^

Oh dear, Coast, if it's any consolation the shadows were here for about 10 seconds, they've now left the building, so to speak, and the arena lights have been well and truly turned off.  Fully expecting a miserable git with a broom to appear at any minute and tell us all to go home, nothing to see here......

Another triumphant forecast from me today - Sun breaking through later (I never said for how long), possibly triggering some shadows (think I might have said showers, but can't quite remember)

AS

Guest bjaykent

Afternoon all, can't say I care much for the outlook, high pressure building to the north with low pressure to the south and probably wettest and coldest in the south-east. On a positive note weather forecasts across the board don't seem very accurate even a couple of days ahead at the moment, especially when you look at the weekend just gone. The only hint of decent summer weather I could see on the weather models this afternoon was at 372 hrs on GFS which is of course chocolate teapot territory anyway.sorry.gif  

Oh well will just have to keep fingers crossed that summer arrives before October!

On a completely unrelated topic I thought I would share a photo of this rather unusual crisp that my daughter found in a packet of Walkers yesterday.  air_kiss.gif

post-16390-0-50160900-1369062095_thumb.j 

Not certain if it signifies love in the air or too many crisps will give you a heart attack!    

Enjoy the rest of your daysmile.png

Edited by bjaykent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Hi everyone,

I have an offer to make to a few members of the region.

I own an outside catering company in Peterborough called Bailey's Caterers. I have not been on for about a week because I have been in Scotland and Durham catering for the hospitality guests for the Pearl Izumi Tour Series (PITS). For those who don't know, it is a series of town centre cycle races run by the Tour of Britain, that runs for 5 weeks throughout May and June.

Now, the PITS is coming to our region on the following dates, Colchester 30th May, Woking 11th June, Aylsham 13th June and the final leg in Ipswich on the 14th June. I am offering 2 hospitality places at each location as my personal guests, all I ask is that you have at least an interest in professional cycling. You'll get a free programme, free food and and free drink, plus be right by the start/finish line.

I will confirm times with the anyone that is interested, just let me know asap. If more than 2 people apply, I will draw names out of a hat, if only 1 applies, then they can bring a partner or friend.

Good luck!

Edit: I meant to add that all applications by PM please, don't want to clog up the thread talking about cycling :-)

Here are some pictures (taken by one of my sisters in law) of the 1st leg last week in Kirkcaldy.

The Rapha Condor JLT team car:

post-3080-0-16308300-1369072172_thumb.jp

Rapha's Ed Clancy (on the left):

post-3080-0-88202800-1369072212_thumb.jp

Team UK Youth (owned by Sir Nigel Mansell):

post-3080-0-39718100-1369072272_thumb.jp

The hospitality area:

post-3080-0-75136300-1369072306_thumb.jp

The off:

post-3080-0-18700300-1369072394_thumb.jp

Edited by MarcB

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

What, another day of bad forecasting by the beeb?

Showers moving into the south east by mid/late afternoon, never happened! It drizzled all morning

That's three-four days now of wrong, bunch of baffoons!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's the freezing N wind which is getting on my nerves. Yesterday in desperation, I joined a bee keepers forum to see if anyone would park their bees in my orchard as I haven't seen a single one - even on warm days like last Wednesday when I walked by a set aside field covered in campions and no insects.

To my amazement I got a reply almost straight away and he and his wife came over to have a look to see if it was suitable yesterday afternoon. Luckily he thought it was pretty good and is bringing a hive to try out.

During our conversation, he mentioned that there weren't any honey bees around because last May was the worst for 100 years for apiarists. The bees came out in the warm March 2012 and then all - literally - died from cold and starvation in May. Those that made it through the cold, died because all the blossom had been blown away. So everyone is having to restock and build up their colonies again. He said we're now a full month behind a normal spring.

I reckon by the time he brings his hive(s) over next week, the orchard blossom will be on its last legs and we'll get no fruit again. I already know there won't be any plums as the plum blossom's gone. It's so frustrating when you see this beautiful apple tree covered in pink and white blossom with nothing but a few flies or bumblebees flying around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Looking chilly Friday Early hours, Infact Friday day time top temps 14c ....

84-778.GIF?20-12

Edited by Jason T