Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st June 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The MetO forecast also mentions chance of an isolated t-storm across NE Aberdeenshire this afternoon.

Seems to be a chance for an isolated thunderstorm across SE England/E Anglia tomorrow afternoon, temps likely to reach 31-32C in the London area, which likely to cause a thermal low over the SE - which will initiate sea breeze convergence and uplift, though IMHO I think any convection may struggle given rather warm and dry profiles in the troposphere, weak lapse rates and only shallow moisture at the surface looking at current soundings and forecast skew-ts. 

Be nice to have some relief from this heat though, but I think any storms over coming days will be rather isolated.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Seems to be a chance for an isolated thunderstorm across SE England/E Anglia tomorrow afternoon, temps likely to reach 31-32C in the London area, which likely to cause a thermal low over the SE - which will initiate sea breeze convergence and uplift, though IMHO I think any convection may struggle given rather warm and dry profiles in the troposphere, weak lapse rates and only shallow moisture at the surface looking at current soundings and forecast skew-ts. 

Not according to Paul Sherman, we have to wait until August for anything! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

With a relaxation in pressure;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

and opportunities for some high CAPE values;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

I wonder if we can finally take advantage of the heat & humidity in week 2 and overcome the cap, letting rip some decent explosions!

ECM is also interesting in this respect!

If all this happens whilst i'm going on a trip through Europe I'm going to cry. I get back on the 3rd August...any explosions needs to wait until then!!!

Unless of course Germany/Austria/Czech Republic or Poland join in any fun over the next 2 weeks :p

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Not according to Paul Sherman, we have to wait until August for anything! Posted Image

He'll probably be right!

Posted

There is a bit of CAPE around tomorrow in SE and EA:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Convergence a bit later in the afternoon around coastal areas?

Posted Image

Not a lot of it though:

Posted Image

GFS going with a bit of convective precipitation.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll have to wait and see what brews on the radar and detectors through the late morning and afternoon.

He'll probably be right!

Damn his hidden superpowers Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

If all this happens whilst i'm going on a trip through Europe I'm going to cry. Unless of course Germany/Austria/Czech Republic or Poland join in any fun over the next 2 weeks :p

Those countries get sever storms more often than the U.K. so don't worry. .

Posted

Nick Miller on the BBC Radio 4 weather this morning mentioned a possibility of a thunderstorm in Aberdeenshire today?

Can't really see it myself, but he has more knowledge and resources than us!

Posted Image

Nothing from ESTOFEX or UKASF so maybe something local forcing things?

CAPE is marginal:

Posted Image

and not in Scotland:

Posted Image

Lots of convergence though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lapse rates are slightly up on the NE coast:

Posted Image

One to keep half an eye on, but don't get too excited yet!

I would have to say that there is a decidedly different feel about the weather today here in Aberdeenshire.  It was raining in the early hours this morning and the humidity has increased a lot since yesterday.  On the drive to work at 0830 it was 20oC and my minimum last night was 17oC (according to my garden station).  I think today is meant to hit 25oC here.  The clouds are quite bubbly, looks like there is a chance.  Its one of those days where it just "feels and looks" like there could be a storm later.  I know that sounds silly but thats how it feels.

Will keep my fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Wow, with 35c being forecast for next week in france .. Surely this has to have a fun breakdown in the end!

We could even end up with mid 30's come the end of next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I have noticed a little bit of elevated convection over parts of Wilts & Oxon on my way home this afternoon, some very patchy Ac with virga...........I know, not exactly raging thunderstorms, but I've used the word 'convection' so it is on topic Posted Image

Posted

but I've used the word 'convection' so it is on topic Posted Image

:lol: and you got Virga into the thread too! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Posted Image and you got Virga into the thread too! Posted Image

so I did!.....haven't got a clue what it means, I heard it once and thought I'd use it in conversation Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

so I did!.....haven't got a clue what it means, I heard it once and thought I'd use it in conversation Posted ImagePosted Image

You should be very careful about doing that here!! :lol: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

You know the song: 'like a virga, touch for the very first time'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Think you better get your coat! Posted Image

Posted

Think you better get your coat! Posted Image

This heat and a perpetual lack of storm activity in the vicinity has quite obviously addled my brain!

Posted

when asked on the chances of a thunderstorm in Crewe, rather than answer, I'll just suggest that he checks himself directly into the....

post-4149-0-61968800-1373995924_thumb.jp

Posted

when asked on the chances of a thunderstorm in Crewe, rather than answer, I'll just suggest that he checks himself directly into the....

Posted Imageindex.jpg

People may laugh but the only forecast guaranteed to come off a month in advance is that there will be no thunderstorms in Crewe.

When this heat breaks down, the change here will be signified by a couple of cumulus clouds drifting over and a change in wind direction. Those cumulus clouds will then become cumulonimbus almost instantly on approach of the Derbyshire border. They'll be full on supercells upon hitting Lincolnshire.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

If all this happens whilst i'm going on a trip through Europe I'm going to cry. I get back on the 3rd August...any explosions needs to wait until then!!!

Unless of course Germany/Austria/Czech Republic or Poland join in any fun over the next 2 weeks Posted Image

I'm with you there Chris. When I went away Canoeing in Sweden last August, what happened here? There was a thunderstorm. So, next Thursday I am off to Snowdonia for 4 days of Mountain Biking. What do we think is going to happen down here I wonder. Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

People may laugh but the only forecast guaranteed to come off a month in advance is that there will be no thunderstorms in Crewe.

When this heat breaks down, the change here will be signified by a couple of cumulus clouds drifting over and a change in wind direction. Those cumulus clouds will then become cumulonimbus almost instantly on approach of the Derbyshire border. They'll be full on supercells upon hitting Lincolnshire.

I would be quite happy with that Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Some faint hope for tomorrow...

http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/254

MO have also switched from sun to 40% precip risk in the afternoon for my area.

Posted

Wont even be cumulus, more like a layer of light gray stratus rolling in from the Irish sea, with the added interest of some patchy light rain