Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st June 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Must report that about an hour ago there was some towering cumulus south of Bristol trying to develop but failed in the end it dissipated.

Posted

Unfortunately just torrential rain constant thunder and occasional sheet lighning here. Perhaps would have been better looking from a distance but I'. Happy as we really needed the rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Unfortunately just torrential rain constant thunder and occasional sheet lighning here. Perhaps would have been better looking from a distance but I'. Happy as we really needed the rain!

Yeah, 'just'..!

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Unfortunately? I hope you are joking...

Posted

Yeah, 'just'..!

SOrry, just realised how ungrateful that sounded.... I was just hoping for some good pics of lightning.

Posted

An interesting development in the past hour or two. The development of the heat low over southern England has, along with an aspect of sea breeze development, swung the wind ESE here and for other places in the Lincs, Yorks, Notts area, further east and south then a more north of east flow. This should transfer the thunder risk into areas south and SE of here.also responsible for the low St pulling on to some Norfolk and other adjacent coasts

Hi John and thanks for the informative post, just one question if I may ? I have heard the term 'heat low' mentioned several times in the last few days but despite researching I still have no idea what this is, and what causes it. Can you help please ?

Cheers. BB54

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Had a storm to south of Shrewsbury at about 5ish. Came out of Shrewsbury vs Galatasary and you could see it building rapidly to the south but despite a few good rumbles over the next half hour it's drifted off east I believe. Was so hot today not shocked to see some action!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Had a storm to south of Shrewsbury at about 5ish. Came out of Shrewsbury vs Galatasary and you could see it building rapidly to the south but despite a few good rumbles over the next half hour it's drifted off east I believe. Was so hot today not shocked to see some action!

It passed us in Bewdley about an hour ago. A few rumbles and a short-lived shower of that summery, big-blob rain, but nothing significant and it's dry again now.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted

Im gutted as I just captured 5mins of the storm with some cracking lightning/thunder on my new smart phone. However because I didn't press stop I lost it all. Next time I shall learn how to use the phone first.

Still looks like another storm is developing behind this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

In the past 30 mins the sky to the north has gone from blue sky to a popcorn cloud mess! Nothing on the radar though so im starting to think its another bust :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Hi John and thanks for the informative post, just one question if I may ? I have heard the term 'heat low' mentioned several times in the last few days but despite researching I still have no idea what this is, and what causes it. Can you help please ?

Cheers. BB54

I'd imagine that during high heat in the UK, the sea breezes flowing inland then collide and create a convergence line/zone inland. Probably something to do with that, but I'll let John or someone correct me.

Edit: No, I found this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_low

although not something I'd have expected to find here on a small Island.

Edited by The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Im gutted as I just captured 5mins of the storm with some cracking lightning/thunder on my new smart phone. However because I didn't press stop I lost it all. Next time I shall learn how to use the phone first.

Still looks like another storm is developing behind this one.

There was some loud shotgun thunder amongst that too, made the ground shake !! Hopefully we'll see some more action soon.

Posted

The second storm (smaller) had a couple of rumbles and light rain, lasted 15 mins

Edit: more frequent thunder since it passed so Peterborough could get another good one

Edited by dapick2002

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sky getting messy to my North. 

Posted

I'd imagine that during high heat in the UK, the sea breezes flowing inland then collide and create a convergence line/zone inland. Probably something to do with that, but I'll let John or someone correct me.

Edit: No, I found this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_low

although not something I'd have expected to find here on a small Island.

Cheers for that link. Posted Image  Im not sure why I failed to find it when googling !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Going very dark up here but nothing on radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Looks like it's Hereford's turn for some action now

Posted

was looking forward to something in Essex - but its looking less likely now I guess -those cells in Suffolk seem to be decaying :(

oh well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

was looking forward to something in Essex - but its looking less likely now I guess -those cells in Suffolk seem to be decaying Posted Image

oh well

Fingers crossed for Wednesday for us. Still a long way to go though.