Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st June 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I have noticed a little bit of elevated convection over parts of Wilts & Oxon on my way home this afternoon, some very patchy Ac with virga...........I know, not exactly raging thunderstorms, but I've used the word 'convection' so it is on topic Posted Image

Raging convection.....

Teheheheh Gigigle.

/toomuchsunshine

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Simuler here in SE London,at around 6pm after a still day we had some lively gusts of wind,its now dead calm and clear again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Plenty of CAPE to play with.

no good without all the other ingredients though.

Posted

Met Office forecasting a few thundery showers across east midlands/east anglia/south east tomorrow.

NMM has CAPE values up to 1000 j/kg with temps of 29 and dewpoints of 16+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Met Office forecasting a few thundery showers across east midlands/east anglia/south east tomorrow.

NMM has CAPE values up to 1000 j/kg with temps of 29 and dewpoints of 16+

That be amazing been keeping check on here and Met O..

Would cool air a little I think if we get heavy downpours, the grass is yellow around here everywhere it needs those storrms well the rain part of them any way!

Posted

Some faint hope for tomorrow...

http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/254

MO have also switched from sun to 40% precip risk in the afternoon for my area.

Expanding that link:

Synopsis:

At the surface a large anticyclone continues to dominate across the British Isles, but with heights aloft falling slightly as a heat low develops over SE England.

Discussion:

... E ANGLIA, SE + CS ENGLAND ...

Strong diurnal heating will yield some 1500+ J/kg SBCAPE, although largely capped in a very warm but relatively dry airmass. There is the potential for isolated thunderstorm development across parts of the Home Counties from mid-afternoon through to mid-evening, as a strengthening seabreeze develops a notable convergence zone, coupled with the development of a thermal low. Such forcing may be enough to break through the 'cap' locally, particularly where slight upslope flow over the Downs/Chilterns is present. Hence the probability of thunderstorm development (only 5-10% chance) is considered less than on Saturday, and it is likely that the majority of the SLGT area will remain dry.

Shear is very weak, so any storm that does manage to develop will be poorly-organised and fairly short-lived, but with the potential for some small hail. PWAT values near 30mm and very slow storm-motion (in a general NW-SE direction) could result in very local high rainfall totals. Any storms will decay through the evening as diurnal heating subsides.

Nothing from ESTOFEX and SkyWarn and TORRO seem to have given up!

Posted

Well here's you CAPE for fuel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Convergence seems to be to the SW of London, but that could move anywhere within a 40 mile radius of London and the coast

Posted Image

Here's an area of convective precip that GFS likes:

Posted Image

Lapse rates are silly!

Posted Image

Delta Theta-e chart highlights the main area of a possible isolated thunderstorm for me and maybe a very low risk of a microburst? 

Posted Image

Posted

If you want to see isolated, NMM has tiny pockets of potential all across London and all counties surrounding it later!

post-6667-0-24461700-1374045305_thumb.pn post-6667-0-98877900-1374045298_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-56798000-1374045297_thumb.pn post-6667-0-91607700-1374045303_thumb.pn

Very hit and miss.

Posted

Forecast Skew T for London would suggest the cap is too strong:

Posted Image

Lets get this convergence going then 

Posted

London Heathrow, 15z,

post-5986-0-55477700-1374047527_thumb.gi

Small convective potential today despite very strong insolation means showers are unlikely. Looks to me as if that CAPE is going to go to waste again. Should they occur, then I would expect that showers will readily develop to thunderstorms with frequent lightning, potential for hail etc etc. It's unlikely they will form although some around just north of London can't be ruled out.

Shame.

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Loving the 00z ECMWF this morning, which suggests a thundery breakdown from the south next week as an upper low moves in to the SW early next week and thundery low pressure develops over Biscay and W France:

post-1052-0-38660400-1374050137_thumb.pnpost-1052-0-43517800-1374050150_thumb.pn

Unfortunately GFS is not having any of it and keeps us dry and settled, and with the way things have panned-out storm-wise (or lack of) this summer so far, not holding my breath!

Anyway, risk of an isolated storm popping up from the heat of the day over the Chilterns and Downs of Berkshire and Wiltshire later this afternoon/evening.

Then risk of isolated storms for eastern Scotland, Wales and SW England tomorrow.

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Synopsis:

At the surface a large anticyclone continues to dominate across the British Isles, but with heights aloft falling slightly as a heat low develops over SE England.

Discussion:

... E ANGLIA, SE + CS ENGLAND ...

Strong diurnal heating will yield some 1500+ J/kg SBCAPE, although largely capped in a very warm but relatively dry airmass. There is the potential for isolated thunderstorm development across parts of the Home Counties from mid-afternoon through to mid-evening, as a strengthening seabreeze develops a notable convergence zone, coupled with the development of a thermal low. Such forcing may be enough to break through the 'cap' locally, particularly where slight upslope flow over the Downs/Chilterns is present. Hence the probability of thunderstorm development (only 5-10% chance) is considered less than on Saturday, and it is likely that the majority of the SLGT area will remain dry.

Shear is very weak, so any storm that does manage to develop will be poorly-organised and fairly short-lived, but with the potential for some small hail. PWAT values near 30mm and very slow storm-motion (in a general NW-SE direction) could result in very local high rainfall totals. Any storms will decay through the evening as diurnal heating subsides.

Valid: 2013-07-17 00:00:00 - 2013-07-17 23:59:00

http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/254

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Loving the 00z ECMWF this morning, which suggests a thundery breakdown from the south next week as an upper low moves in to the SW early next week and thundery low pressure develops over Biscay and W France:

Posted ImageEC_0000_138.pngPosted ImageEC_0000_144.png

Unfortunately GFS is not having any of it and keeps us dry and settled, and with the way things have panned-out storm-wise (or lack of) this summer so far, not holding my breath!

Anyway, risk of an isolated storm popping up from the heat of the day over the Chilterns and Downs of Beyesrkshire and Wiltshire later this afternoon/evening.

Then risk of isolated storms for eastern Scotland, Wales and SW England tomorrow.

yes, Fergie on points west forecast last night suggested the hint of a rogue storm for the east of our region over the Marlborough downs which suits fine as that's pretty much where I am!

just to add in anything does show signs of developing over the downs, I'll take a quick trip up to Barbury Castle near Chilseldon armed with camcorder as it'll be a perfect viewing spot

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Latest 6z GFS...I'm up Portsdown Hill Mon evening and a burger from Mick's van, getting my deckchair out and selling tickets for admission lol - Kerboom (that's a technical term)

If that comes off, the whole UK is going to be like a giant sonic boom disco event with strobe lighting!! 

Getting a bit carried away there, but good god, it will probably match up to those plumes of the 80s and 90's easily.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

I'm up Portsdown Hill Mon evening and a burger from Mick's van, getting my deckchair out and selling tickets for admission 

Is that for all the cars there flashing their interior lights then?............ Posted Image

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Latest 6z GFS...I'm up Portsdown Hill Mon evening and a burger from Mick's van, getting my deckchair out and selling tickets for admission lol - Kerboom (that's a technical term)

Hope us lot here get discounted tickets and if it does not happen a full refundPosted Image

Posted

Oh, I see you get a deckchair, burger and you have to pay to watch doggin' these days.

Makes you wonder where it will really kick off after this weather, recall those amazing storms over Germany/Denmark last month - 

Is that for all the cars there flashing their interior lights then?............ Posted Image

and that as well, kill two birds with one stone

Posted

GFS overview has rain on the Hants/Dorest border this afternoon, but no thunderstorm:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I'm at fleet services on the m3, just watching a line of small cumulus forming overhead, some taller towers/ congested mixed in. Convergence?

Posted

I'm at fleet services on the m3, just watching a line of small cumulus forming overhead, some taller towers/ congested mixed in. Convergence?

Could be AH, it was in some of the models and forecasts earlier Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Coast