Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Grass turning pretty brown now. 27-32c likely all week here. Breakdown a week Tuesday? All far off but CFS pretty confident of an iffy August it seems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

BBC going for MAX 34*C in London next Monday and Tuesday...

Posted Image

No they're not - it's just the maximum possible temperature on that day. More like 30-31C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Maximum of 25c here today and with a bit more breeze it certainly felt more pleasant than yesterday's 28c with not a breath of wind.

Personally I'd be happy with mid 20's max throughout summer as the house ends up like a furnace when it's any higher and sleeping with the windows open is spoilt by all of the folk who think that hot weather and loud music seem to go hand in hand.

Not really grumpy old man time but sleeping is bad enough with the heat; add David Guetta at 1am and work the following day and I'm starting to think, roll on winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

and I'm starting to think, roll on winter.

Not long now. Over the next month the pendulum will start to swing in our favour R.E daylight hours etc. Those summer lovers will be hanging on to the last vestiges of their Pimms and BBQs whilst the clock runs down on summer 2013 Posted Image

Always makes me laugh later on in the summer (i.e mid-late August) when there's been a warm spell and people are sat out in their garden in the pitch black at 9.30.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not long now. Over the next month the pendulum will start to swing in our favour R.E daylight hours etc. Those summer lovers will be hanging on to the last vestiges of their Pimms and BBQs whilst the clock runs down on summer 2013 :p Always makes me laugh later on in the summer (i.e mid-late August) when there's been a warm spell and people are sat out in their garden in the pitch black at 9.30.

At least they don't bring David Guetta out with them when it goes dark earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Yes, time passes and the seasons change (in most cases unlike March this year). But for now its Summer and the weather has at last realised what time of year it is. After 6 cool and wet summers i'm no where near the stage yet where i want an end to this spell, because the last 6 summers have shown how bad the other end of the scale can be. I have said before that i would welcome an average summer with warm sunny periods interspersed with cooler more showery ones. But in reality once the warmth is here its not that easy to say lets have a cool week and the warmth can come back after that. I'm just a bit suprised that after 4 below average winters and 6 wet summers, some people cant accept one above average summer month.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It was overcast here until the late morning but sunny after that with the skies becoming more and more free of cloud as the day went on. Max temp 24.4c.

Nice clear skies this evening with a current temp of 21.4c.

Posted

If its warm outside, whats wrong with sitting in the garden when its dar, even if it is mid to late August? I was in the garden when it was pitch black last night, so were the neighbours, and I still will be if its hot in late August.

Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted

If its warm outside, whats wrong with sitting in the garden when its dark, even if it is mid to late August? I was in the garden when it was pitch black last night, so were the neighbours, and I still will be if its hot in late August.

Haha, this is why I shouldnt use my phone to post! Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted

Unless you're a dole wallah or a member of the idle rich, what's good about it? In fact scrub that - what's good about it for anyone? I hope come winter that 30C is preceded by a minus sign! Bah,grr etc...

Earlier this year I was in Northern Australia during the summer lifting heavy glass and metal, doing construction and toiling away chipping and weeding in a field. This weather doesn't even come close to that. In fact, I've just done a long walk (about eight miles) as I did last weekend and don't feel the slightest bit exhausted.

I would sympathise with you, but I remember all the moaning from the coldies during that one warm week we got in May 2012. I reassured you all that the weather will probably turn cool and unsettled again before too long and look what happened. Well never again. I've waited too long for this to not be enjoying it because others don't like it. Let's have autumn weather in autumn this year.

Posted

If its warm outside, whats wrong with sitting in the garden when its dar, even if it is mid to late August? I was in the garden when it was pitch black last night, so were the neighbours, and I still will be if its hot in late August.

I don't understand it? Would you sit in the living room in the pitch dark with no TV on? Do people do it just because they can? What's to see except darkness?

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Yes, time passes and the seasons change (in most cases unlike March this year). But for now its Summer and the weather has at last realised what time of year it is. After 6 cool and wet summers i'm no where near the stage yet where i want an end to this spell, because the last 6 summers have shown how bad the other end of the scale can be. I have said before that i would welcome an average summer with warm sunny periods interspersed with cooler more showery ones. But in reality once the warmth is here its not that easy to say lets have a cool week and the warmth can come back after that. I'm just a bit suprised that after 4 below average winters and 6 wet summers, some people cant accept one above average summer month.

I have no problem having a warm summer and as you said we've just endured several poor ones so IMO it can stay like this until October. My only issue is the heat in the house; south facing and with typical 1970's poor building technology it's got the insulation property of a tent.It's just a shame that some of the current heat can't be bottled for this coming winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

BBC going for MAX 34*C in London next Monday and Tuesday...

Posted Image

Seemingly my hunch might be coming off then. Posted Image

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76700-south-westcentral-southern-regional-discussion-discussion-21st-may-2013-onwards/?p=2736604

Still way off in FI but not without support, this spell could fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint be just a mere first course of heat. 

Posted

It's also extremely annoying if you've got to be up for work early and you've got the neighbours banging, laughing, shouting etc etc whilst you're trying to get to sleep. Could they not do it in the house?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No they're not - it's just the maximum possible temperature on that day. More like 30-31C.

Whatever, I do see a potential trend upwards there. Besides, Helen Willetts suggested the heat will ramp up once again from Thursday onwards.

Posted

I don't understand it? Would you sit in the living room in the pitch dark with no TV on? Do people do it just because they can? What's to see except darkness?

It just feels good to be outside when its warm, even when its dark - relaxing in the garden when its not too hot or too cold is great, I would sleep in a hammock in my garden when its this warm at night if I had one!My neighbours love it as well, they didnt come in until about 2AM last night...Also CC - I'm only talking about weekends when Ill stay in the garden after dark, not mid week. Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted

Whatever, I do see a potential trend upwards there. Besides, Helen Willetts suggested the heat will ramp up once again from Thursday onwards.

Yes the heat will crank up. 31-32C fairly widespread I would think but for how long for? I think we're in the middle of the main course now and we'll have the big hurrah at the weekend before the deterioration sets in the week after.

Posted

Well I'm loving the hot weather and long may it continue for the rest of the summer. Mid/late thirties would be preferable but I'm happy with late twenties.

The cold lovers can lump it. It's funny how the Dec 2010 cold spell wasn't deemed good enough to make the winter decent yet we saw copious amounts of snow and cold. Some on here didn't enjoy that spell but didn't constantly look for breakdowns and complain, so stop moaning on this thread.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Yes the heat will crank up. 31-32C fairly widespread I would think but for how long for? I think we're in the middle of the main course now and we'll have the big hurrah at the weekend before the deterioration sets in the week after.

Quite possibly true Crewe, good to see you back to discussing the weather. Posted Image 

Let's keep things nice and respectful in here and also informative from now on, guys n gals. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Exactly. those  hating the heat get no symapthy from me, I had to endure the awful cold of dec2010 and  my pipes froze and burst in the loft, costing my insurance to go up, and this march was pretty awful, could never get warm , central heating on max just to feel normal, I could sense the £££££££'s going through the roof even with insulation. Bitter cold and overcast grey skies day after day , and people on here gloating about it all. It was drabness with knobs on.  I do also believe the cold spring was mainly to blame for  NO THUNDERSTORMS and still having repercussions

One good thing to come from this spell is the SST's have a good chance of going above average, which could help to stop this coming winter getting a too severe spell  Dec2010 style .... and going into next year with a better chance of stormsPosted Image 

Being a 'mildy' I not a big fan of extremes either hot or cold , but I am actually relishing this hot spell, its a very much needed tonic to really warm the land and sea up. Maybe things are just resetting Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not long now. Over the next month the pendulum will start to swing in our favour R.E daylight hours etc. Those summer lovers will be hanging on to the last vestiges of their Pimms and BBQs whilst the clock runs down on summer 2013 Posted Image

Always makes me laugh later on in the summer (i.e mid-late August) when there's been a warm spell and people are sat out in their garden in the pitch black at 9.30.

What if its warm, What if there are lights. Thats what we have and a chiminea to keep the warmth going. Perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Just like March can sometimes feel like Winter, like this year, September can also feel like summer sometimes aswell Posted Image remember when 30c was reached in October 2011? Posted Image

Edited by Barry95

Posted

remember when 30c was reached in October 2011? Posted Image

Yeah didn't mind it....a deviation from the norm and daylight was short enough for me to be comfortable with it. Cooled off nicely at night.

Was in Wales on holiday. Was a lovely week.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

What is this supposed to mean? If by the term "dole wallah" you mean unemployed and on benefits, that is not the case as I am employed by Waitrose....

Please accept my sincere apologies - was meant more tongue-in-cheek than anything.... though you you gotta admit that,even for those who like this weather,it's no good unless you've time to enjoy it. If not, it's just a pain and nuisance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I still find it hard to believe people moaning about the heat.when I was a kid we had to have the rayburn running all year round and on a hot summers day the chimney went through corner of my bedroom and I was on top bunk.....horrendous heat,would have loved to have taken the temp.many times I got up in night and slept on floor or in windowsill,you coldies would have melted.ps I love the cold too!!!!!!!!!!!!