Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted

I still find it hard to believe people moaning about the heat.when I was a kid we had to have the rayburn running all year round and on a hot summers day the chimney went through corner of my bedroom and I was on top bunk.....horrendous heat,would have loved to have taken the temp.many times I got up in night and slept on floor or in windowsill,you coldies would have melted.ps I love the cold too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ye - I'm old enough to recall such horrors. Scarred me for life it did!

Posted

I think I might have jinxed the continuation of the hot spell, using terms like 'relish'Posted Image

If the weather gods are reading this they will terminate the warmth prematurely  , as the weather rarley does anything I want it to

Sorry  hotties Posted Image

Posted

Would like this weather to continue for a bit longer too but would much more prefer it to be in the low to maybe mid 20's by day and around 10oC if not lower at night, prefect!

But then the interest me wants to see 39oC reached and day appon day of record breaking heat!

Not being funny though but if I had known that this July was going to be so hot I would have seriously considered buying a small air-conditioner for my room, if I had air con in my room right now then  I would be the happiest person I'm almost positive! Can deal with the hot days just not the hot nights...

Temperature update: 23.6oC and hit a high of 28.4oC today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

what is the dance to make rain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It's also extremely annoying if you've got to be up for work early and you've got the neighbours banging, laughing, shouting etc etc whilst you're trying to get to sleep. Could they not do it in the house?

Well it was about 10C cooler outside than in my room 2 nights ago, so I thought I'd sit outside at midnight!

Sorry Aaron, but if you don't do the same, you sir are an absolute fruit loop! :winky: :D

Posted

Could this July be the 1st July with no rain somewhere in the UK? I assume there has never been one place in the UK where they've gone the whole of July without a drop of rain?

I certainly havent recorded or seen ANY rain here in St.Albans this month and I don't see us getting any rain  anytime soon either unless we catch a storm which is very unlikely because they always seem to be either way to the north of us or just to the south and miss us?

Any one have any figures on the least amount of rain recorded in July by any one station or as a region as a whole?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well it was about 10C cooler outside than in my room 2 nights ago, so I thought I'd sit outside at midnight!

Sorry Aaron, but if you don't do the same, you sir are an absolute fruit loop! Posted ImagePosted Image

Nah I'm just a grump!

Posted

Could this July be the 1st July with no rain somewhere in the UK? I assume there has never been one place in the UK where they've gone the whole of July without a drop of rain?

I certainly havent recorded or seen ANY rain here in St.Albans this month and I don't see us getting any rain  anytime soon either unless we catch a storm which is very unlikely because they always seem to be either way to the north of us or just to the south and miss us?

Any one have any figures on the least amount of rain recorded in July by any one station or as a region as a whole?

Course there has. Dunno when though, ask Mr.Data.

Nah I'm just a grump!

I will personally come to Crewe and tie you to a chair outside at 00:00 tonight, just so you get a feel of the freshness :D

Posted

Please accept my sincere apologies - was meant more tongue-in-cheek than anything.... though you you gotta admit that,even for those who like this weather,it's no good unless you've time to enjoy it. If not, it's just a pain and nuisance!

No worries laserguy, I just read your post in the wrong manner it seems! I do agree though that the heat would be annoying if I was stuck indoors all week but I would still prefer it to rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I will personally come to Crewe and tie you to a chair outside at 00:00 tonight, just so you get a feel of the freshness Posted Image

Are you going to hurt me Mr Palmer Posted Image

Should I be expecting a knock on the door? :p

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Living near the coast it never gets that warm for such a long period of time. Even during July 2006 and especially August 2003 there were sea breezes which kept temperatures down. If I was getting low 30s every day that might alter my opinion somewhat or I might cope with it just as well. I would like to experience it sometime. But it's not just the warmth that's pleasing me this month, it's the fact that I can plan my outdoor things for the week ahead without thinking if it's going to rain. Even if it was 30c every day for a week I like to think I would still get out and about to make use of it more than I could do in the endless days of rain last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Could this July be the 1st July with no rain somewhere in the UK? I assume there has never been one place in the UK where they've gone the whole of July without a drop of rain?I certainly havent recorded or seen ANY rain here in St.Albans this month and I don't see us getting any rain  anytime soon either unless we catch a storm which is very unlikely because they always seem to be either way to the north of us or just to the south and miss us?Any one have any figures on the least amount of rain recorded in July by any one station or as a region as a whole?

Not be us.We've had 7mm so far this month but nothing since the 4th.Probably had 10 times that by this date in 2012 though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Lovely and pleasant outside still with temperature at 22C at 10PM.

Posted

Not be us.We've had 7mm so far this month but nothing since the 4th.Probably had 10 times that by this date in 2012 though.

Well I am almost certain that I didn't have any rain here on the first 2 days but I don't have any readings from that because some of the data on my laptop got lost but hoping that I don't get any rain here all month, would be a new little experience :) but we will all have to have our fingers crossed for no hose pipe bans next summer due to a dry summer this year and perhaps a dry winter again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It has been lovely to be able to spend so much time outdoors this month - a real rare treat in this country so definitely one to relish indeed!

I get some of you can't cope with warmth but just remember how many months the cold of winter has dragged on & on especially this year - you've had a pretty good ru. Stop trying to wrap yourselves up in your house - go outside and enjoy it - perhaps speak to those neighbours instead- beats hiding in your insulated box, curtains shut all the time!

Summer is a sociable time and yes you will hear other people a lot more than in winter - I guess we're not used to it in this country anymore....

Little cooler tonight as we're below 20c before 11pm. Another week of good weather on the way - and hopefully less dreaded low cloud.

Posted

We've just had a massive drop in dewpoint this evening. At 20:30 it was 19.2C with a dewpoint of 16.6C (86% humidity), but by 21:05 it was 18.6C with a dewpoint of 9.7C (56% humidity).

Thats pretty remarkable without a weather front passing over! The difference in feel is unbelievable aswell, very odd indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

To be honest, I don't really care if some people don't like this weather (sorry) I have to put up with people every winter wishing for freezing cold conditions that I hate and in recent years they have been lucky, whereas we have been less lucky in summer.

In Winter cold conditions just make getting about even harder.. Winter in the UK is never a time of the year to go outside, but it makes it worse. Whereas in summer warmer weather allows for us to be outside more. 

Everyone I know also supports this view, this forum is not representative of the UK population IMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Everyone I know also supports this view, this forum is not representative of the UK population IMO

Of course not - but then, most people in the real world do not crave extremes of anything - and that includes excessively hot temperatures. Why do you think climates such as San Diego and Las Palmas have been voted the best climates in the world in the past? Due to their consistently pleasant temperatures, as opposed to stifling heat. Both are susceptible to extreme heat, but it's the exception to the rule. San Diego in particular has average highs not too dissimilar to London in the summer (but with much warmer nights), so that leads me to believe that most people want pleasant, usable weather and not the silly heat you crave. You are definitely an oddity like the rest of us, and to be frank, I don't care what the general public want or like, because they are not weather enthusiasts - I want interesting weather, and when looking at climates, I judge them on how interesting they are, and how variable their climate is, and not by how often I am able to go outside and tend to the garden or lounge by the pool. That's just me, but as they say, variety is the spice of life, and I crave change, and get bored quickly of repetitive things.

I'll take 26C with low humidity, but also some storms and general heavy rain. No brown grass please - nothing appealing about that. Just enough rain to keep the grass  green, but not so much that everywhere becomes muddy. Thunderstorms are best for this.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Not long now. Over the next month the pendulum will start to swing in our favour R.E daylight hours etc. Those summer lovers will be hanging on to the last vestiges of their Pimms and BBQs whilst the clock runs down on summer 2013 Posted Image

Always makes me laugh later on in the summer (i.e mid-late August) when there's been a warm spell and people are sat out in their garden in the pitch black at 9.30.

or like in october 2011 when it was dark at 7pm,

no point thinking about autumn and winter yet mate, we are in peak summer, i wouldn't think about spring and summer on january the 14th, but i hope it cools down soon because i no longer like heat and i can't tolerate it this year, sadly when it cools down though we normally get horrible dull cloud and drizzle, 19-20c and sunny is what i want 

Posted

Yeah I find it's so pleasant in this weather in that you can walk about outside in shorts and t-shirt and not have to worry about feeling cold at any point. Winter is so physically uncomfortable in so many ways, particularly in spells like we had in March this year when there's a howling gale and temperatures below freezing- even wearing a hat and gloves didn't keep me warm in the slightest. Lovely to be able to open the windows and get air into the house in spells such as this one. In winter you're often limited to stuffy, heated air that dries out the skin.

Just the thought of having to scrape ice off my car every morning while my fingers feel like they're going to drop off makes me cringe! Also going shopping in winter and wrapping up for walking to and between the shops, only then having to shed clothing once inside the overheated shops- why anyone would wish for all this inconvenience is beyond me!

If only we could bottle all this lovely heat, and save it for the colder months! Which as we all already know, included most of an alleged Springtime...2013!

Yes it is in the warm to hot category - temps hardly exceptional as yet but as for actual longevity of this fine, dry spell? That's what stands out the most and compared to say more recent Summers.

An entire month without a drop would be unparalleled! We're half way there and some rain would if I'm honest be welcomed, to be honest is probably needed now, and gulp nil storms!? an interesting spell of weather nonetheless. Belonging to the heat-loving fraternity :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Scorcher - please bear in mind that not all of us layer up excessively during the winter. Regardless of conditions, I find a hoody and jeans suffices between November and February, therefore if I enter a room that is too warm, I can just remove the hoody without having to faff about with a large coat, a jumper, hats, gloves and everything else. Some of us certainly tolerate the cold far better than others, meaning that winter is not a time of inconvenience or trouble, but just another season. In fact, I find that most of the year, my attire consists of a hoody and jeans, so I rarely have to change, except during hot spells such as this, where shorts are a must.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Are you going to hurt me Mr Palmer Posted Image

Should I be expecting a knock on the door? Posted Image

I'll be there in 35 mins. I'm coming for you!

On a more pleasant note, it's actually a sleepable temperature tonight! Lovely!

Posted

although i don't like the hot days, the warm evenings are nice, i have to close the windows though as so many horrible insects are coming through

i don't know what i hate more, feeling hot or feeling cold, feeling cold is slightly worse i think, i just like rain, storms, snow and sun

Edited by Tony27