Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2013: thoughts, prospects and forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I was reading about reports of Octobers just over 100 years ago and it was interesting the talk about lack of frost, high minima etc.

That's interesting, I wonder if it's part of a cycle. Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Away from the mild south west next Monday has potential for some wide spread frosts

Posted Image

The south west doesn't have much chance of frost's with temps ranging from 11c to 14c

Posted

This time last year some parts of the UK were getting there first snowfall of the season (we did as well in Darlo) what a difference a year makes

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

This time last year some parts of the UK were getting there first snowfall of the season (we did as well in Darlo) what a difference a year makes

Yes but then it turned mild for Christmas, best we have the mild now and then it turn colder a bit later, just like 2009 and 2010 both very mild autumns and awesome winters, don't care if it doesn't snow in October or even November wintry weather is best in winter

Posted

Why oh why are people moaning there's no snow . It's still autumn god dam we have the whole of winter for snow just because there's nothing cold yet doesn't mean there won't be any for a whole 3 months. Wait a few more weeks then you warrant the right to moan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Last night was the coldest of Autumn so far getting down to 3.4c just high enough to avoid a frost

Where you live?  I had loads of frost and car was iced upBFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Fell to 3.1C this morning - doubt there was frost though - far too breezy. Never really fell below 9km/h.

Edited by cheese

Posted

that was your fridge/freezer mate. The car is the thing outside on the drive.

• Like 1

Posted

Darlington its under my avatar

Apparently there was a frost here however when I got up just after 8 all the cars were clear but we get the sunshine all day around here so it soon melts still this time of year

Posted

Darlington its under my avatar

Apparently there was a frost here however when I got up just after 8 all the cars were clear but we get the sunshine all day around here so it soon melts still this time of year

Sorry it should have read......where?  where you live?

• Like 1

Posted

that was your fridge/freezer mate. The car is the thing outside on the drive.

So you were in Redhill were you?  Do you know Bournemouth is in Dorset ..... mate Posted Image

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Autumn is flying by tomorrow marks the final 4 weeks of Autumn 2013 it hardly seems 5 minutes since we entered Autumn

My last update for Autumn 2013

November

Rainfall - Average or above average in general but the far North of Scotland may get away with slightly less than average.

Temperature - Using both Climate Simulator and CFS data they agree on temperatures staying above average or at times close to average.

Pressure Patterns - Low pressure mainly situated over Iceland and high pressure over Europe and at times over the UK. With the UK being sandwiched between the two it explains the average or above average temperatures and rainfall mostly above average.

Quick look at the start of Winter December and January - Please note this isn't my winter 2013/2014 forecast it will be put together at the end of November.

December - Lower than average temperatures and rainfall going by the CFS. Climate Simulator doesn't exactly agree it goes for more average temperatures but does agree on some short cold spells making temperatures drop just slightly below average.

January - Below average rainfall for the North but above for the South. Average temps in the South but below average in the North says the CFS. Climate Simulator which I've been using for over a year now and yet to be wrong goes for average temperatures in the first half of January with short cold spells but the second half of January turns much colder about 1.5c nearly 2c below normal. It will be interesting to see if it changes it mind when running it again with more data at the end of the month for the winter forecast.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC Weather for the week ahead with Matt Taylor - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2826193

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

It looks like the checkerboard pattern of mild/cool Autumns since 2007 looks set to continue, though a cold end to November could see us equal the 1981-2010 mean. A November CET of 5.7C would do it.

We're still certainly overdue a cold Autumn though.

Posted

Has anyone else had an exceptionally sunnier than average first half of November?

The 1981-2010 average for the whole month here is 68 hours and we've managed that in the first 15 days alone. After today we're now on 71.3hrs.

The sunniest on record here is 114hrs in 2006 and if this cold spell next week is very sunny it could well be under threat. October only managed 103 hours so it could well be a sunnier month that that too.

• Like 2

Posted

November has been exceptionally sunny here as well. I'm up to 71.9 hours after today which is practically the whole monthly average already.

Will certainly beat October's dismal total of 77.7 hours. There have been a number of sunny November's recently:

2006: 96.6 hours

2008: 100.5 hours

2012: 97.8 hours

Plus 2005 will have had over 90 hours but I didn't have my recorder then. This month is on track to beat all of those provided we don't get any of the nasty unwelcome NE'lys that were showing in some model output yesterday.

• Like 2