Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Oh no! I didn't think farmers were allowed to get man flu... I hope you survive this dangerous and serious malady... 

Steady rain here, and dark enough to need the lights on at 7am. Very autumnal-feeling Posted Image

Occupatioal hazard of being married to a teacher whose immunity built up over the years is only overcome by really new nasty viruses.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Hope you've all had nice summers! Posted Image

I've been nosing in from time to time for a gander, but as the summer - was well, summer - there wasn't really much going on weather-wise! As I see it could be blowy come Sunday and we are dipping our toes into Autumn I'm putting my head round the door! 

Now lets see what they are saying in the model thread.......

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Occupatioal hazard of being married to a teacher whose immunity built up over the years is only overcome by really new nasty viruses.

Yeah... I have the same - Black Isle schools are full of some vicious wee bugs just now.

However, better and worse news from Caithness: the grain harvest is putting a smile on some faces after a few years of grimaces, but elm disease has reached even some of the more remote parts of the county, a lot quicker than I thought it would, so there will be very little elm left in Scotland within a year or two apart from a few very isolated individuals.  Not good, and could become very bad for a lot of our woods if ash dieback gets a hold too.

Bit of a blow coming up I see.  Anyone like to swap jobs for a few days?

• Like 2

Posted

What a lovely early autumn day. Broken cloud, crystal blue skies and warm sunshine. Was a pleasure sat outside the coffee shop on Castle Street earlier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Great day today, lovely pleasant warm sunshine and blue sky's most of the time. Managed to get my potatoes in and stow away the garden furniture ahead of the blow tomorrow! Could do with a. few more days like this before winter comes I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Just seeing some high cloud coming in from the northwest ahead of the rain later tonight and tomorrow. End of a lovely day though, now looking forward to hearing the tiles on the dormer bedroom rattle LoL

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I've put all the stuff away in the garden that could fly away tomorrow and Monday. Waiting.........

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some active weather on the way... Beats watching the drivel my daughter is watching on TV, latest obsession is Catfish. Total mince !

post-7292-0-95901500-1379193536_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-34523600-1379193549_thumb.pn

Nice video  here from Jo detailing the predicted impact areas.

The focus on the air mass changes mentioned in the Meto vid earlier in the thread really clear on the NMM runs as Sunday progresses.

post-7292-0-39835400-1379193673_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-93920000-1379193681_thumb.pn

post-7292-0-51958400-1379193690_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-93730500-1379193699_thumb.pn

Afternoon fax has this one at 966mb, to a fairly quick drop, not a really huge bomb laden with sting jets but against the benign conditions which have prevailed for some time will feel like a step change to Autumn.

post-7292-0-96222200-1379194193_thumb.gi

With Humberto to follow.. cracker of a name that, lol !

Video Reel Here http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Hmm it's a tad wet here and getting quite breezy, wouldn't give it hoolie status yet though. Posted Image

Posted

Solid grey and white skies here ,steady rain and a light to moderate wind. Enough to make the trees in full foliage sound awesome.

• Like 1

Posted
Ha ha OTR , that is exactly what am about to get dragged round the shops to pick up and then get busy in the kitchen with.

On the plus side...Must be Red Wine season too Posted Image

Oaft - Good Luck to those folks doing the GNR today, looks drookit !
Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted

It doesn't look too bad Catch, think I saw the aerial picture at the start of the race, made it look more minging than it is.Tomorrow afternoon looking lively, also like the fact that this low does the full drop right down into the continent by 144.

post-7292-0-79875100-1379239484_thumb.gi post-7292-1076_thumb.gif

Red Arrows looking great as ever.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Torrential showers for the last couple of hours. Temperature started off at 12c at 1.00pm but is currently 6c.  A  long time since we have had 6c in the middle of the afternoon.

Posted

First snow on the webcams of the Autumn this evening:

Posted Image

^Glencoe.

Posted Image

^Nevis Range

Live images:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/nevisrange

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairgorm-mountain

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Well nothing exciting to report from here. Got a little gusty yesterday afternoon, but that was it. Due to irritating insomnia I've been up since 3.30am so can safely say its not even windy. Dry and 5C currently. 

Posted

Scotland’s weather: Storms show winter on the way

SCOTLAND experienced all four seasons in one day yesterday, as the first storm of autumn swept across the country, bringing chaos to the country’s roads. Torrential rain, accompanied by gale-force winds, gave way to sunny periods, before the wet weather returned.

The Cairngorms were hit by gusts of 100mph, with snow anticipated last night, and the Forth Road Bridge was closed to high-sided vehicles after wind speeds of 69mph were recorded. However, not everyone was bemoaning the gales. The weather was perfect for Scottish Windfest, at Barassie Beach in Troon, where windsurfers and kitesurfers were competing.

Last night, the Met Office issued a blanket “yellow†warning, forecasting blustery winds continuing into today. They said high-altitude jetstream winds from the Atlantic pushing 200mph – almost twice the usual – triggered the storm. It brought torrential rain yesterday morning, which flooded Nitshill Road and Thornliebank Road, in the south of Glasgow, with motorists in Dumfries suffering the worst driving conditions in the country with heavy spray on main roads.

The weather also caused severe disruption to Caledonian MacBrayne’s ferry timetable on the west coast, where dozens of sailings were either delayed or cancelled. Worst affected were the routes between Oban, Coll and Tiree, the new link between Ardrossan and Campbeltown, and the Tarbert to Portavadie crossing. A spokesman for Cal Mac said: “Ferry services across the network have been badly affected by high winds. “The bad weather is expected to continue into Monday and ferry travellers are advised to check our website (www.calmac.co.uk) for the latest information. “We apologise for any inconvenience and are grateful for everyone’s patience and understanding.â€

Traffic Scotland warned motorists of high winds on the Skye, Friarton, Tay and Erskine bridges. And there was rail disruption on west coast northbound routes, after a tree fell on to overhead lines between Lockerbie and Carstairs. The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) issued flood warnings in Ayrshire and Arran, Dumfries and Galloway and west central Scotland. The CairnGorm funicular railway was closed all morning yesterday as 100mph winds blasted the area, but it was opened by midday.

Paul Nixon, CairnGorm’s customer manager, said: “We’ve just been keeping a close eye on the weather today, making sure that visitors can come back down. “We’re expecting some snow tonight, but it’s unlikely to lie and will be restricted to the very top of the mountain. “This sort of weather usually does mark the start of winter for us really. In the past there has been skiing in October, and people are anticipating a very good season.â€

Tom Morgan, of the Met Office, said: “Scotland is only half-way there with the severe wind problems. “The rain may have turned to squally showers but most of Scotland will see a very windy day on Monday. “The worst gales will be felt on the west coast and around the Glasgow area and will last well into the evening or night.†

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/scotland-s-weather-storms-show-winter-on-the-way-1-3094794

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, so much for the first Hoolie of the season! Winds were nowhere near as bad as predicted but we did have plenty of rain. Likewise today. It's nice to get the fire lit in the evenings though and I'm enjoying the freedom of the roads once again as most ( but not all! ) of the tourists have disappeared. Love autumn!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The first 'big storm' wasn't much to talk about here either really. It was pretty windy for a bit on Sunday afternoon but the heavy rain originally predicted for Sunday morning was posted missing (ground was a bit damp when I got up at 9am but nothing much after that point). Saturday was quite a nice day with lots of sun early on and even though there was some broken cloud in the afternoon it was still pleasant enough.

This morning there's a lot of grey cloud around but it's not that cloudy and there's only been some light drizzle so far. The weather definitely feels more autumnal though.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

It felt like winter leaving the house today at 5c. Even looked to the Ochills just in case the white stuff had appeared.I have to say I just love Autumn and particularly October. I am hopeful of getting some lowland snow in October as we haven't had that since I was a bairn!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yeah I'll echo feelings of blessed relief at the lack of tourists & their sodding campervans.

Very heavy blustery showers on the north coast since the middle of yesterday, currently almost continuous. Doesn't feel that cold although it certainly isn't mild any more.  Haven't had a day like this since the winter!

Posted

Is it my imagination or does 5C feel a lot colding in September than in April? I dislike this.

Yeah I'll echo feelings of blessed relief at the lack of tourists & their sodding campervans. Very heavy blustery showers on the north coast since the middle of yesterday, currently almost continuous. Doesn't feel that cold although it certainly isn't mild any more.  Haven't had a day like this since the winter!

You should see the road to St Andrews on a holiday weekend or sunny day, can take 20 minutes just to get from my house to outside Cupar.