Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Another humid day after a wet start .Maximum of 21c with lots of corn lice.Suffering from a bit of P.H.T. (pre harvst tension) especially with a forecast of high winds at the weekend as the barley becomes fully ripe. The wind will finish the ripening job this weekend if it happens.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Having put up with this recent warm, muggy cloud and drizzle fest with altogether too much grey canopy in the skies, I admit the weather is annoying me just now !

Missed NLCs this summer, missed the Perseids and also the charts are throwing up some beautiful heat just when I finish 18 days off and have to go back to the office. You couldn't make it up !!

Grump over. Looks like a fine end to August for most of the country, hopefully this developing ridge can also do the business for much of Scotland and the traversing Atlantic systems get deflected far enough North to avoid trailing fronts draping the North West of Scotland.

Looking at the more technical teleconnections, MJO and GWO - Global Wind Oscillation - both are pretty stagnant, A Bit of a stuck atmosphere, or hanging. Gut feeling a Hurricane required to reset matters, no foundation in meteorology, just a gut feeling. Time will tell..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Today was very warm and sunny here, one of those August days that used to go unnoticed but now is really good to have back after the last two years in particular.  And today's treat was unlimited ripe raspberriesPosted Image  in a nearby wood; I can't remember the last time they were so many and so good.  Funny how this warm weather has got me back to cold beer  Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Onoff driech muggy dampness with sharp showers, supposed I better get used to it as off to Hong Kong in 3 weeks, and weather looking just peachy there...... 

post-2849-0-48980800-1376692408_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Long day stacking small bales of hay today into the evening as it was a bit cooler with a breeze using some equipment thats been on the farm for almost 50 years.post-2744-0-41278500-1376694387_thumb.jppost-2744-0-14990800-1376694409_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Long day stacking small bales of hay today into the evening as it was a bit cooler with a breeze using some equipment thats been on the farm for almost 50 years.Posted Image20120815_094924.jpgPosted Image20120815_095202.jpg

Liking the Auld Massy wi the front loader NL!

So small compaired to the modern Mega Machines.

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted

Liking the Auld Massy wi the front loader NL!

So small compaired to the modern Mega Machines.

Big Innes

Hi Big Innes. THe 135 has been on the farm since it was new in the sixties but had a makeover for its 40th birthday as it was getting a bit rusty. Now semi retired comes out to do neeps and hay in the summer and goes to various vintage vehicle shows. I got to drive it first after it came off the lorry.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some pretty hefty bursts of rain here just now. Strong wind has died down though. 15.8C.

Saw a skein of geese while walking the dog last night. Very unusual for August here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Hi Big Innes. THe 135 has been on the farm since it was new in the sixties but had a makeover for its 40th birthday as it was getting a bit rusty. Now semi retired comes out to do neeps and hay in the summer and goes to various vintage vehicle shows. I got to drive it first after it came off the lorry.

The farm which I worked on as Boy during the summer hols fae school (early tae mid 70's), had a wee auld grey MF wi nae Cab & nae Roll Bar.

Two other tractors were Fordson Super Major & Nuffield which Rab (farmers son) and his pal Sandy had put a Lorry Engine in!!!

Loved those days Hay & Harvest, bringing a' the Bales in and building a muckle Hay Stack oan the Farm using an auld Belt Diven Bale Elevater.

Summer weather wiz great back then.

This summer has been much better than recent years though and a chance of something really good again next week!

Big Innes

• Like 3

Posted

Helluva double save from the new goalie. Sky Sports is free today showing on Sky 2 channel if anyone likes the Fitbaw.

Posted

Short but quite sharp shower just came through. Loved the skies before the shower unleashed

Posted

Better day, sunny spells, and up to 19c now. Windy though with a 30mph mean westerly breeze, gusting 40mph.

Posted

I am in Arisaig. Since I've been up here on Saturday it has been changeable with rain being on and off - mostly cloudy but changeable and mixed skies. There is currently thin, high-level cloud cover but there is some sunshine coming through making for bright conditions. The scenery up here is amazing and it would be even better in clearer conditions. Having said that, I've never seen Glencoe look as atmospheric in the driving rain on Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A bit disappointing here today with more cloud than forecast, windy at times and even a couple of hefty showers. Currently 16.1C and partly cloudy.

Posted

Warm breezy sunny afternoon again at 20c maximum.Neeps were wilting quite badly so ground getting dryer again .However we have some light rain this evening. Almost finished cleaning sheds and greasing machines for harvest. Just need some harvest weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Grey few days with a some sharp showers, now just persistent drizzle, but still warm at 15C with a high of 20C most days. Been a good summer in comparison as kids spent nearly everyday ootside, and have not reached September still looking blue, which is a bonus.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted

Thought the showers we're supposed to clear and was going to brighten up. No signs of that yet!

Posted

Best day in a while here, 19c under mostly sunny skies.

Been an interesting summer. It will generally be remembered favourably (especially given the preceding six summers) but in fact here it's been pretty average in terms of sunshine totals, which for me is the most important factor in how a summer feels. June came in at 86% of the average (Leuchars figures) and July, despite being warm, only saw 102% of average sunshine. August looks like it may not quite reach the average either (still a way to go though!).

I appreciate that elsewhere the sunshine figures will be considerably higher than normal but it's interesting that a summer that 'feels' as if it's been really quite good may end up being less sunny than the long term average!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I appreciate that elsewhere the sunshine figures will be considerably higher than normal but it's interesting that a summer that 'feels' as if it's been really quite good may end up being less sunny than the long term average!

I suspect that this summer will come in as pretty average when compared to historical records but, as you say yourself, it'll probably stand out in most peoples minds a good one purely because it's been better in so many ways than the last few summers. I think the cool spring has also made the summer feel warmer that it's actually been. For example, here in Aberdeen the average July/August high temp is 18C, which is pretty much what we've been getting outside of the week or so hot period at the start of July. Despite 18C being average for the time of year it feels warm compared to what we had for the first 5-6 months of 2013.

Anyway, that also explains the lack of post from me recently cos the weather has been rather...well...average. Today has also been mostly average, starting off wet(ish) but clearing to some nice warm sun, now followed by some darker looking clouds bubbling up.

I'm almost, but not quite yet, beginning to long for a bit of "snow watching" again.

• Like 2

Posted

Amazing video of noctilucent cloud and Aurora on beeb Scotland page, worth a watch.

Possibly the best NLC show to be recorded this summer.

• Like 4

Posted

Sea fog rolled in from the east tonight after a humid sunny afternoon. Ground fairly wet on the surface after some heavy overnight rain.No harvesting today Currently

16 c.  Good for neeps and grass though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

post-10976-0-01145200-1377167165_thumb.j

Been looking forward to this day.

THE FIRE IS LIT!!

14C and foggy, and what with the lack of unbroken sunshine of late the house has steadily been cooling down. Such a contrast to last summer when the heating was only off for two or three days.

• Like 4