Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Hooray - the weather is back to normal. What a relief ;)

• Like 2

Posted

Wet. 16.9mm so far and just 14.4C. So different to yesterday...

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Here's today's Withur!

Mare Torrential Pish, fkn disgusting   Posted ImagePosted Image

Rrrrained every day noo (in some capacity) since last tuesday when the magical Hoat N' Sunny spell!!! finally broke Posted Image

Big well fkd aff Innes.Posted Image

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Garden soil now nice and wet to some depth so should be good growing for a the next few days.

On the other hand... we're already getting cabin fever!

Posted

Heavy shower just passing through St Andrews though nothing compared to yesterday, which saw 32mm of rain here in NE Fife. Mind you compared to some places that wasn't very much!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

A slight thunderstorm and associated downpour tracked NE over Glenrothes, Markinch and Falkland in the past hour. Heard about 6 rumbles, saw 1 flash and last thunder at 1438hr. Light rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Had a decent thunderstorm here, a few strikes of lightning which were fairly close by. Sunny at the moment but the potential for more through the day remains, particularly in this neck of the woods, although they look to be fairly disorganised so it will be pretty hit and miss, the summer equivalent of a convective easterly 'toppler':

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

On the other hand... we're already getting cabin fever!

I got that too yesterday and it was only one day of rain. Just shows how accustomed to dry sunny weather we've become recently and the associated ability to enjoy being outdoors.

Today has been dry and sunny so far but there's some impressive clouds over to the West at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Quite a lively afternoon , this band looking well organised at present..

post-7292-0-08289400-1375108741_thumb.pn

Satrep is full of sferic laden grafitti

post-7292-0-51383500-1375108790_thumb.pn

Last one to pass through that gave Edinburgh an electrical lunch hour..

post-7292-0-22225500-1375100152_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

no thunder or rain just sun but some good big clounds are bulding up

Same here lots of dark ominous looking cloud to the south over the Cairngorms. Been rogueing wild oats out of the barley all day Just come home as felt a bit vulnerable in the middle of an 18 acre field. Currently 23.2c

Posted

Considering how heavy the showers have been here at times, I am surprised at the complete lack of thunder

Posted

Big bad clouds and thumping getting closer while Ms HC mows the lawn...Posted Image All around us now, it's either going to get pretty spectacular very soon or (more likely for here) fizzle to distant rumblings.

• Like 4

Posted

Big bad clouds and thumping getting closer while Ms HC mows the lawn...Posted Image All around us now, it's either going to get pretty spectacular very soon or (more likely for here) fizzle to distant rumblings.

Went to Nairn just now for petrol and can confirm forked lightning visible across the Firth near you

• Like 2

Posted

Cloudy now after being mainly sunny & nice temps at 22C I think it was. No rain, but lightning painted in the last hour about 10-15miles W of us I would say. I think the airport is catching showers but the city has missed them so far.

Posted

Probably mentioned this before but in my eyes the majority of the lightning we see today is forked lightning and forty odd yearsago the majority was sheet lightning in this area with only rare forked lightning. However this is the time of year traditionally for thunder in the past when the rivers would flood in early August and we would get good sea trout and salmon runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Although it looks like it has been through a filter or Instagram, promise you it hasn't.

Very lucky timing, this little beauty drifting east as the sun set catching the top of the Cu, brilliant contrast against the blue sky and heavier rain laden bottom layer of the cloud. 

post-7292-0-61636600-1375129974_thumb.jp

Similar here regards to the sferics today, a couple of promising radar returns and showers, however aside from the lunchtime rumbles of thunder over Edinburgh little else.

• Like 6

Posted

<p>Lol some folks have more vivid imaginations eh... Got the lawn done then the heavens opened, Ms HC just got the lawnmower put away in time with no funny business.  Nice sunset now. Back to midge and cleg hell in the morning for me, can't fckn wait. Time to emigrate.</p>

No idea what that </p> is for, perhaps is the 'political filter'.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cloudy now after being mainly sunny & nice temps at 22C I think it was. No rain, but lightning painted in the last hour about 10-15miles W of us I would say. I think the airport is catching showers but the city has missed them so far.

When I left work at 6pm Dyce was still dry but there was a thunderstorm in progress just to the West. As I drove home to Kemnay I pretty much skirted the rear edge of it, but still hit some heavy rain between Blackburn & Kintore and saw the odd flash through the very dark clouds. There was a lot of surface water on the roads and when I got home the wife conformed that Kemnay had been under it and the electricity supply had been briefly interrupted at one point. 6yr old son was going on about it at dinner and even asked again this morning "is the lightning coming back today?". Not sure if he was scared, excited or just wanted to see mummy run around unplugging everything again.

Does anyone else do that, unplug stuff during a thunderstorm? I used to, but don't bother anymore. Chances of actually getting a lightning strike through your house in this country are pretty small really. When I lived in Orlando for a bit I used to unplug stuff, the first few times. Then you realised that it happened that often that it wasn't worth worrying about or you'd spend half your life unplugging and re-plugging every electrical item. In 3 yrs there I never had the apartment struck, nor ever knew anyone who had. Given the intensity and frequency of the storms there, if it didn't happen there it ain't likely to happen here. Did get some simultaneous flash & crack combinations though. That's when you decide to get off the balcony/stand back from the window a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We've been in this house 24 years, and once we've had the sky dish, box, and phone socket melted. We're pretty high up but not really out in the open on top of a hill.