Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A spliff filled with sunflower leaves might taste a bit rank...Posted Image

Nice day on the hills today Posted Image if a mite windy, then drove home under my own personal shower band - 20 miles with the wipers on fast Posted Image

Posted

Lovely day yesterday with over 10 hours of sunshine and a high of 23.9c. Cooler and breezier today but the sun is starting to come out. 15c with a 20mph WSWly breeze at the moment.

Posted

Yesterday we got up to 22.9C. Currently 17.2C and sunny spells.

Posted

C**P Sums it up really! Yesterday was beautiful but today um....................not so beautiful

Posted

Still dry here with sunny spells but the wind is a force to be reckoned with - mean speed of 31mph and gusting over 45mph. 17c.

Posted

Another sunny but breezy day. Warm in the sun and a max of 20.1C earlier.

Posted

Another sunny but breezy day. Warm in the sun and a max of 20.1C earlier.

Same here. Funny how we seem to have the north/south split back again, Central Belt, Fife, Borders getting dull wet days when Aberdeen, Moray & Highlands get sun, and vice versa.

First tomatoes in the greenhouse will be ripe very soon. Can't wait.  Already OD'd on kale and new potatoes...

• Like 1

Posted

Just been outside Coldest  night for a few months at 11c.Cairngorm summit at 4 c  Winters on its way!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Just been outside Coldest  night for a few months at 11c.Cairngorm summit at 4 c  Winters on its way!!!!

Single figure min at Leuchars last night with 9c. I recorded 11c here in Crail. I'm not quite ready to give up on summer just yet though - off to sun myself in the garden. ;-) 18c and bright sunshine at 10am.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

Sunny and breezy again (as the previous two days). Currently 18.1C.

Posted

Wonderful potter through some of the old pinewood in Glen Strathfarrer today; good sightings of Crested Tits and Crossbills, then gorged ourselves on these 

The weather was kind to us, enough wind to keep the midges down, not quite hot enough for more than a few clegs, yet some good sunshine when we climbed our mini-Munro, enough to sprawl on the heather for a while.

Back to midge hell up north now, pre-loading with alcohol as anaesthetic.

• Like 3

Posted

Even cooler this morning at 6.00am at 6c but a nice sunny start with no wind.Feeling autumnal as  I looked round the cattle.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Nice sunny day today for a change current temp 14.1C. Overnight min was 11.1C

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted

Not too bad here today. No rain so far. Little sun at times but mostly a lot of cloud. Not cold though

Posted

Seeing as it's quiet and winter still a week away Posted Image  I would like to ask for some assistance if possible from the more learned horticulturist among us.

We have found Japanese Knotwood all along our houses, and in large clumps, and had it confirmed by our factor, but it is on Network Rails land... well most of it. Any advice on who, what, why, where and when we speak to, and any killing tips if any, as I understand it is a persistent blighter.

Oh forgot to say that it was a nice day today after a grey start, but wind picking up again, and a definite chill in the air again.

Posted

Hi Cheggers,

If i were you I would get in touch with Network Rail and ask them to inspect the site as it is their responsibility to ensure that it doesn't spread, and unfortunately if left untreated it will go on a rampage.

This page from their website gives a wee bit info on their responsibility and a link for contacting them 

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1034.aspx

Good luck

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Single figure min at Leuchars last night with 9c. I recorded 11c here in Crail. I'm not quite ready to give up on summer just yet though - off to sun myself in the garden. ;-) 18c and bright sunshine at 10am.

Down to just 6'C here, felt really chilly when I was out early in the morning. Just under 9'C at the moment. 

A big change from the high teens a couple of weeks ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Seeing as it's quiet and winter still a week away Posted Image  I would like to ask for some assistance if possible from the more learned horticulturist among us.

We have found Japanese Knotwood all along our houses, and in large clumps, and had it confirmed by our factor, but it is on Network Rails land... well most of it. Any advice on who, what, why, where and when we speak to, and any killing tips if any, as I understand it is a persistent blighter.

Oh forgot to say that it was a nice day today after a grey start, but wind picking up again, and a definite chill in the air again.

What flotsam says. It's classed as an invasive species as per giant hogweed and NR are responsible for stopping it spreading/getting rid of it.

Also, glyphosate based weedkillers should kill it. 

'Roundup' being the common brand.

Spray the railway land too if you want (NR won't make a fuss as you are doing their job). It will kill everything (which is sprayed on the leaves; a bit of a splash on tree bark etc is not a concern for the tree but should be avoided as much as possible) but not stop other stuff growing back as it is neutralised when entering soil. You'll need to keep at it though as it will return if even the tiniest bit remains alive. Think control rather than complete elimination.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

WET rain and currently10c neeps and grass loving it.Cattle and humans not. Feel a day out coming!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Was enjoying the heat wave a while back - a wee bit sad to see it go but the current fare is pleasant enough.

Now approaching my favourite time of year. Lingering days begin to give way to darker nights and more unsettled fare. Warm sunny weather is great but there's something in the changing seasons that's enjoyable to watch.

If we had anything here akin to the Danish concept of hyggelig, I'd say for me that was it. Don't know why, it just is.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cold & sunny this morning... the hills are starting to look a little yellowish... autumn's coming.

Yeak....has summer really passed that quickly? It'll be no time before we're poring over models again looking for "the big freeze".

Been mixed weather here the last week or so, a bit of everything. Although it's not been as warm as it was it's still pretty pleasant.

Oh, and this morning's headline "The Met Office has confirmed that last month was the second warmest July on record in Scotland" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23608806)

Posted

It's a little premature for the "summer's over" posts, but with charts like these....

Posted ImageECM GFS 8 to 10 Day 130808.gif

There is a receding chance of anything Julyesque. We'll get some nice days here and there, maybe even some nice weeks, but it's increasingly unlikely that we'll be melting or spontaneously combusting Posted Image

Aren't we just having a quite nice week? I was AWOL during the July meltdown, but the weather since has been (for the north anyway) pretty good fare compared to the last few summers.

All I'd ask for as a wee extra would be a stiff BREEZE please, Lord, and I'll promise never to drink again. Well, for the rest of the summer. Ok, till tomorrow. Bugger it, I won't open the next bottle for another 10 minutes.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

A torrential downpour at 6.45pm this evening after a dry humid day with a temperature that reached 23c. This refreshed the neeps and grass again. Crop steadily ripening hopefully ready to combine before the end of August . However theer will be big shortage of grass based winter keep for livestock in this area after stocks run down last winter and spring and a  months grass growth lost in April which with the dry summer has never been made up. With the potential for cooler nights in the next few weeks hopes of later grass cuts are receeding. Currently 15.8c and cloudy.

• Like 1