Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

It is rare for the west country to get thunder storms but lets hope some of us see something. I remember some massive thunder storms as a child when I lived in the southeast Posted Image but only seen one or two decent ones in the last 18 years really in Somerset. Posted Image

When I was young early 90's I was scared of thunder I remember loads of storms when I would run in their room!!! Nothing like that anymore!!! But we can't have it all!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Yep Weymouth and Portland are in the firing line, will it hold up or flop??!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Yep Weymouth and Portland are in the firing line, will it hold up or flop??!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Further to my posts from earlier.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77272-south-westcentral-southern-regional-discussion-discussion-16th-july-2013-onwards/?p=2743174

and

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77272-south-westcentral-southern-regional-discussion-discussion-16th-july-2013-onwards/?p=2743384

It does appear a fair few of us should keep the curtains open tonight for a decent light show. Posted Image

post-7183-0-27835100-1374441226_thumb.jp

Posted Image Just look how the MCS like feature has largely kept intact over several hours and is actually spawning daughter cells, as I type this. Posted Image 

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

Thunder & lightening Portland Dorset

Posted

Must be elevated storms so likelihood of superb lightning, estimated arrival to Salisbury area midnight but lightning will be visible well beforehand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

FWIW, my thoughts on the next 48 hours remain unchanged, as stated previously.

At this stage, I feel there is potential almost anywhere (UK wide with the exclusion of Scotland) hence the conflicting model data and media forecasts. French import round one may well be in the early hours of tonight. Another round of action is forecasted with high confidence into the overnight period of Monday Night into Tuesday. Then there's Tuesday daytime. This situation is very similar to winter snowfall events, where changes occur right down to <t-6 hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Temperature is really holding up outside tonight!

Still a warm 19.7c Posted Image

Posted

some lightning flashes to our east but no thunder heard so this might be the cell w of Poole - probably over the Purbecks

Posted

Must be elevated storms so likelihood of superb lightning, estimated arrival to Salisbury area midnight but lightning will be visible well beforehand.

I can see it now Andy. Strikes have been visible for the past 20 mins or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

aye, as posted in the convective thread, cells are increasingly elevated and following the 700Hpa wind vector, good news for us!

Can hear some action just waiting foe the rain

You need to bang on the neighbour's bedroom wall and hopefully they'll get the hint, disgraceful behaviour!!  Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Few rumbles of thunder here. No lightning.

Edited by George

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

how far can thunder carry in this kind of setup..as i have just had reports of thunder heard in melksham /and tan hill ??

I'd be surprised for Melksham, that's 10 miles to my SW and looking in that direction, skies are totally clear still,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Plenty of lightning here, just went out to bring in the gazebo as the wind has picked up. A few drops of rain, I'd forgotten what that was! I'm desperate for a good storm but with a Jack Russell who is petrified of thunder it's a difficult thing to wish for.

Posted

I'd be surprised for Melksham, that's 10 miles to my SW and looking in that direction, skies are totally clear still,

edit on that, some thicker patchy Ac Cas and Ac Floccus moving up quite quickly from the south....interesting

Posted

edit on that, some thicker patchy Ac Cas and Ac Floccus moving up quite quickly from the south....interesting

i just went out for a quick look and i seea bit of ac cas over frome/wells way..but the moon is very bright at the moment to see anyting else ..looks full aswell..fullmoon and thunderstorms ..im not sleeping tonight lol silly season has started ?:)