Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Not a bad update from the Met Office for our part of the world.

Next week looks to start hot and sunny with the end of the week remaining very warm but turning thundery, particularly for southern and western parts.

I'll forget about their last paragraph! lol.

Posted

I'm getting really confused about the temperature readings at Solent. Now I live about 6 miles from this site as the crow flies, and in an urban area. Earlier this week, I was recording 29C/30C whilst Solent was at 23C/24C/25C. Fine, I thought, there was probably a sea breeze on those days and I'm probably over-reading slightly due to my amateurish measuring. But today, while I'm hitting 28C/29C, Solent has raced on ahead to 30.2C. Don't get it - I'm taking readings in a sheltered garden in the middle of a metropolis, would have thought I'd be a degree or two up on Solent if anything. Do they burn stuff near the site? Posted Image

The last few days Solent Met station has has a sea breeze as it's right next to the sea, but just a few hundred yards inland no sea breeze & higher temperatures, even here in Southsea (around 1 mile inland). Yesterday Solent was 27.6C & I recorded 28.0C. Today the winds have been E'ly & NE'ly so the coastal strip has been warmest as no sea breeze, also an E'ly wind will have the warmer air from Portsmouth (very built up city) blowing over to Lee-On-Solent so again giving higher temperatures. I have recorded a temperature of 31.4C this afternoon! Posted Image Once again the Met Office have failed to notice that this part of the south coast would have very high temperatures today, as it always does in a NE'y wind.

Posted

a quick downpour to fill up my water butts please then carry on as you are.

Posted

The last few days Solent Met station has has a sea breeze as it's right next to the sea, but just a few hundred yards inland no sea breeze & higher temperatures, even here in Southsea (around 1 mile inland). Yesterday Solent was 27.6C & I recorded 28.0C. Today the winds have been E'ly & NE'ly so the coastal strip has been warmest as no sea breeze, also an E'ly wind will have the warmer air from Portsmouth (very built up city) blowing over to Lee-On-Solent so again giving higher temperatures. I have recorded a temperature of 31.4C this afternoon! Posted Image Once again the Met Office have failed to notice that this part of the south coast would have very high temperatures today, as it always does in a NE'y wind.

31.4C ... glad I'm not down in Southsea today! Got to 30.5C in the end

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Got to 30.1C around 1:00pm today which is the highest air temperature I have seen here since at least 2006!

Been sticking at around 29C for most of the afternoon.

Posted

In North Somerset. This feels hotter than any of the previous days in this spell.

Posted

31.4C ... glad I'm not down in Southsea today! Got to 30.5C in the end

Yep it is boiling! Hottest since 2006 Posted Image I expect it was a bit more bearable on the beach though Posted Image It is a little cooler now as we have a SE'ly breeze, but still 27C Posted Image

Posted

Few snippets from Ian;

"Latest @metoffice thoughts nxt week offer growing probability of 30+C (poss 32) returning to SW/W Country Mon-Weds after slight weekend dip."

"Equally, @metoffice favour slower breakdown Thurs-Fri onwards as per EC/NCEP; a 30% prob more widespread storms/showers Tues as per their GM"

"So, current favoured solution is hot, humid, mostly sunny early nxt week with isolated storms prob becoming more a feature for some...cont'd"

"Cont'd...ahead of more pronounced swing to thundery breakdown end of nxt working week, espec. SW/S/Central areas prone to heavy downpours."

"Thereafter (into early Aug) expect W'rly cyclonic (low pressure) pattern to dominate with rtn to ave. temps but dry, fine spells still poss."

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Whatever the temp out there I  for one (and I LOVE the sun and heat long may it continue please) am feeling a little wheezy, headachy and have v swollen painful  joints .

However it is currently sunny ,with  a few clouds (a few looked thundery) and temps 28C.Just beautiful.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Chivenor at 6pm showing 30C

Phew !!

Saw some clouds bubbling up this afternoon, but did not lead to anything on this occasion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Did chivenor record the highest temprature in the uk today? if not if must of got very close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In North Somerset. This feels hotter than any of the previous days in this spell.

You were certainly in the right place. Hottest day this year here reaching a maximum of 32.2C with unbroken sunshine and less breeze than the last few days so really felt like being on holiday. Sunbathing, lots of water and dinner on the patio - love it! 

Hopefully, after a cooler blip, another fine spell (even if not this hot) can be had in August. I would hate for this to be a one-month wonder. :)

Posted

You were certainly in the right place. Hottest day this year here reaching a maximum of 32.2C with unbroken sunshine and less breeze than the last few days so really felt like being on holiday. Sunbathing, lots of water and dinner on the patio - love it! 

Hopefully, after a cooler blip, another fine spell (even if not this hot) can be had in August. I would hate for this to be a one-month wonder. Posted Image

Yatton is where I am, though sadly at work there Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Whatever the temp out there I  for one (and I LOVE the sun and heat long may it continue please) am feeling a little wheezy, headachy and have v swollen painful  joints .

However it is currently sunny ,with  a few clouds (a few looked thundery) and temps 28C.Just beautiful.Posted Image

Are you sure you haven't been bitten by something? Sounds uncannily similar to something I had a few years back, turned out to be a bite by a Blandford Fly - can be very nasty so be careful and don't just put it down to too much heat. If in doubt, get yourself checked out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Are you sure you haven't been bitten by something? Sounds uncannily similar to something I had a few years back, turned out to be a bite by a Blandford Fly - can be very nasty so be careful and don't just put it down to too much heat. If in doubt, get yourself checked out.

I got zapped by a cleg last summer, J...It was almost as if I'd grown an extra elbow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I got zapped by a cleg last summer, J...It was almost as if I'd grown an extra elbow...

Cleg??? As in Nick Posted Image

Posted

Did chivenor record the highest temprature in the uk today? if not if must of got very close.

Not quite, Chivenor had a high of 30.2C. The highest temperature was 30.5C, recorded at both Hurn & Solent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Roll on these thunderstorms next week, hope we see some of those imby, it would make this unbearable heat a bit more tolerable!

Posted

Completely blue sky and 28.4c right now and on for the 8th consecutive 30c day! I will certainly have to check back in my records (which go back to 2003) to compare to previous heatwaves and see if it's a record.

Posted

Few snippets from Ian today;

"W COUNTRY Hot again next week (even hotter?) & humid. Thundery/showery breakdown most likely from Thurs; an unsettled weekend thereafter..."

"W COUNTRY It'll still be v warm even as breakdown progresses nxt weekend, but start of August sees rtn to average (= still warm) conditions."

"W COUNTRY Start of Aug dominated by low pressure & westerly flow; so v different to now, but @metoffice stress still some dry/fine periods."

Posted

Once again Met Office have not correctly forecast conditions for here on the Hampshire coast. Max forecast temperature was 28C & it is already just over 30C! NE'ly with high pressure & sunshine in summer = Hot Hampshire coast. Solent Met station is currently hottest in UK, again, was 29C at 1pm.

Posted

Once again Met Office have not correctly forecast conditions for here on the Hampshire coast. Max forecast temperature was 28C & it is already just over 30C! NE'ly with high pressure & sunshine in summer = Hot Hampshire coast. Solent Met station is currently hottest in UK, again, was 29C at 1pm.

I'm heading down your way soon, got a job to Eastleigh.Looks like I better put my mankini and factor 50 on then.

Posted

Really surprised at the strength of the wind this afternoon, the gusts must be verging on 35 to 40mph. It's just blown a curtain by an open window round to the front of a cabinet which knocked off a vase!