Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 22nd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not now everyone is trying to access it!. Here is another screen grab from another site, looks like it's tipping it down?

Posted ImageWeather-Hotel-de-Ville-Caen-Calvados-Caen.jpg

Possibly hail falling hence the very high rates. It actually looks like hail on the ground if you look carefully.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Not now everyone is trying to access it!. Here is another screen grab from another site, looks like it's tipping it down?

Posted ImageWeather-Hotel-de-Ville-Caen-Calvados-Caen.jpg

Looks like the grassland area off to the left is flooded out along with the road? quite something looking at the PPN rate on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Damn the French....anyway keeping patient and hopeful as always, the cell in France looks like a beauty on radar! Still yet to get my first ever UK lightning shot...could that be all about to change? Gear is ready and car is on standby happy to headout for anything coming up from the south or anywhere I can peel off the M25! Paul wondered when you were going to chip in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

28.5c here in Lincoln with dew point at 17c and RH of 55%, so the lower atmosphere is really packing some heat and energy now - Temp has gone up over 10c in the last 4 hours now that the low cloud is burning off.

Will be interesting to see developments from this point on - with Dews in the upper teens and RH over 50% it would genuinely surprise me if we didn't get storm development of some sort. That's a fairly enrgetic lower atmosphere.

Posted

Can't wait for it to get dark - hoping to see lots of flickers and flashes (if nothing indeed comes this way). I'm hoping some of the French stuff can cluster and hopefully form MCS type structures - although most forecasts seem less keen for this scenario.

Posted

Damn the French....anyway keeping patient and hopeful as always, the cell in France looks like a beauty on radar! Still yet to get my first ever UK lightning shot...could that be all about to change? Gear is ready and car is on standby happy to headout for anything coming up from the south or anywhere I can peel off the M25! Paul wondered when you were going to chip in!

You sound prepared Dave! I'm ready and waiting too!

Posted

The question is how strong is the cap. I don't have access to skew-t here. Not real skew-t

Posted

32c here in Slough, Berkshire.

Sun is now becoming hazy with light cloud bubbling up.

Bit of a breeze every now and then too.

Here is hoping for the storms..........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Spenna '82, sorry I was driving back from work so couldn't answer your question on the last thread. Yes if the storms fire up I will be chasing tonight, I am hoping to have the opportunity to stay very local, somewhere like the Chevin gives a good view point south as do high up villages such as Heage. However, if I need to head further afield then i will do :)

Hope the storms develop,good luck.

Posted

well, i think today and tonight are going to be very disappointing, i thought we would see alot more storms breaking out, but alas, nothing of note so far

Posted

A lot of cu development across the South Midlands and more especially the West Country and Wales. However, one cannot miss the massive thunderstorm moving out of northern France. That could hit the south coast this evening (to the east of the IOW) and it is producing a huge amount of lightning. Of interest also is the speed this went up. Considering we will very soon be in this same juicy air, if we are not in it already, storms could also fire very quickly this side of the channel in the coming few hours.

Here now it is feeling very humid and hot with 28c/17c - and looks like Derby itself has reached 30c.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Quite rapid development around MK at present, were areas of AcCas floating bye, now however thay are beginning to tower rapidly all over the place, thin fast columns that almost look like turrets of candy floss climbing upwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

How all the bbc forecasters say "you will all know about it" makes me chuckle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Nice storm forming south of the Caen cell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Quick Q is that a hail spike on the radar from the French storm or just an incredibly straight line of rain?! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

It's currently 31deg here in Bristol atm. Looks as if cells are appearing east of here at the moment, will be up very early tomorrow to hopefully have some chase time as off work all day :-)

Is that what I think it is... a cell near Yeovil? Sferic detected near Salisbury?

There appears to of been a lightning strike but can't see anything on the 16.45 radar, will check out the next update.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Quick Q is that a hail spike on the radar from the French storm or just an incredibly straight line of rain?! Posted Image

Could it be an anaprop or whatever its called because something similar has happened on raintoday up here?

Posted

Looks like a radar artefact to me.